• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I have both and love both for different reasons.
    My Socom I use as a brush gun for stalking deer and critters.
    My AR-10 I can use for longer shots scoping from a stand or open field areas with a suppressor on it.

bad-hunter

Oct 15, 2019
    I bought one right before the ban and it is a great all around rifle. The forward mounted scope is a great feature. I have a 2-7 x 32 scope mounted. With the quick disconnect feature I can use the iron sights and use
    it in matches as well. The muzzle brake makes it pretty loud.

gun_nut

Dec 9, 2018
    I feel your pain. I am still kicking myself for not scooping up a HK91 back in 2011. Live and learn.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I own a Socom 16 and I have never fired an AR10. I never liked the sproing sound the AR15/M16 platform makes. I was lucky to have been issued an M14 designated marksman rifle in the Marines and loved that rifle. Carrying an M16A2/M203 and the M14 in a backpack/dragbag did get heavy but I was ok with that. The Socom 16 is a blast to shoot...literally...big boom, big fireballs. I put a wooden stock on the Socom so it has the classic look to it. People used to get up and move when I would go through my first magazine. One guy said it made his face hurt.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    So in reality,
    Both an AR-10 (16" barrel) and M1A Socom shoot a 7.62x51 (308)
    The Same "bullet" comes out of the barrel, they both have detachable box mags, they are both semi auto.

Functionally why is one better than the other?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The M1A is built on the M14 which is supposed to be a "product improved" M1 Garand action. The actions have proven to be inherently reliable through just about any conditions. The AR-10 action is...due to its design...just as accurate and demonstrates less felt recoil. The M1A...due to its origins of steel and wood can be tuned to almost unbelievable standards of accuracy for a semi-automatic rifle. The AR-10 lends itself to excellent accuracy from the beginning but can be tweaked for more. Both have excellent iron sights...the AR-10 can more easily carry accessories than a bone stock M1A but that can be handled with many choices available for sight rails.

The AR-10 uses easily and inexpensively sourced P-Mags. The M1A uses M14 magazines which are far more expensive to find and buy.

Functionally there's little to choose between...but the AR-10 is easier to train with for anyone with AR-15 experience. The M1A is old school...nothing wrong with that. The AR-10 has the advantages of the AR-15 based platform with few disadvantages.

The AR-10 probably costs less to buy new than a M1A...which you can't even buy anymore in MD in 7.62. Basically...it's personal choice. I've owned both...and while I love the old school M1A I have to say AR-10 for the win.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The M1A is built on the M14 which is supposed to be a "product improved" M1 Garand action. The actions have proven to be inherently reliable through just about any conditions. The AR-10 action is...due to its design...just as accurate and demonstrates less felt recoil. The M1A...due to its origins of steel and wood can be tuned to almost unbelievable standards of accuracy for a semi-automatic rifle. The AR-10 lends itself to excellent accuracy from the beginning but can be tweaked for more. Both have excellent iron sights...the AR-10 can more easily carry accessories than a bone stock M1A but that can be handled with many choices available for sight rails.

The AR-10 uses easily and inexpensively sourced P-Mags. The M1A uses M14 magazines which are far more expensive to find and buy.

Functionally there's little to choose between...but the AR-10 is easier to train with for anyone with AR-15 experience. The M1A is old school...nothing wrong with that. The AR-10 has the advantages of the AR-15 based platform with few disadvantages.

The AR-10 probably costs less to buy new than a M1A...which you can't even buy anymore in MD in 7.62. Basically...it's personal choice. I've owned both...and while I love the old school M1A I have to say AR-10 for the win.

pretty much this, although the operating system differences do matter. The AR10 uses the same type of rotating 7 lug bolt / carrier assembly as DI AR15s, for the most part the bolt IS the piston, and everything moves in line with the bore, the barrel is easily free-floated and easily bedded in the upper. You can build a stupid accurate rifle with a decent barrel and proper assembly. The reciprocating mass is heavy, and it can use AR15 adjustable blocks to easily tune for anything from light M80 up to heavy 308 spec match loads. It is also MUCH easier to suppress.

The M1A uses a piston that pushes an op-rod and a relatively lightweight carrier/2 lug bolt off center from the bore, adding to barrel whip. It can't easily be free floated as the whole barrel/oprod/gas block action assembly latches to the stock, and is secured with the triggerguard laching at the rear. You can get good accuracy by beedding the receiver to the stock, but all in all it takes a LOT of work to get accuracy that most any quality AR10 can match from the factory.

I still love my M1A, and like Dave said it's one of the most beautiful guns ever made, still would love a socom 16, but it's pretty low on the list, especially for a range toy. The AR10, with it's more intuitive, more ergonomic controls, adjustable stocks, coupled with the modularity and inherently accuracy make it run circles around the older design. For mounting optics or running suppressed it's not even close, the newer "standard-ish" DPMS pattern AR308s have most all of the attributes that made modern AR15s so good and popular.

20210226_112615.jpg

Kevingston

Dec 19, 2019
    Central MD
    I've seen a Bula chambered in 450 bushmaster and Fulton in 6.5 creedmoor, anyone have experience owning those? Are they legal here because they're not on the list last time I checked.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    I own a Socom 16 and I have never fired an AR10. I never liked the sproing sound the AR15/M16 platform makes. I was lucky to have been issued an M14 designated marksman rifle in the Marines and loved that rifle. Carrying an M16A2/M203 and the M14 in a backpack/dragbag did get heavy but I was ok with that. The Socom 16 is a blast to shoot...literally...big boom, big fireballs. I put a wooden stock on the Socom so it has the classic look to it. People used to get up and move when I would go through my first magazine. One guy said it made his face hurt.

Well, I really like my SOCOM 16, and have played with it in various guises, but I accept it's practical limitations.
    3Zv7csq.jpg

pn5hRtA.jpg

BicW4uV.jpg

Every LEG point I earned was with either an M14 or my M1A, though that wouldn't happen these days, I'll admit.
    Still, there is (was) something magic about an entire line of M1As/14s and even one or two Garands going off nearly as one at the raising of the targets on a 300 rapid. Or the pregnant pause while mags are ripped out and replaced and the ring of the half dozen bolts within earshot closing at near the same time as guys roll back into prone and come up through their number boards for another eight... Funny, none of that ever made my face hurt!

I'm sorry, a line of 5.56s is not the same.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    They attempted to ban all M1A variants and, as the man said, gun bans have no basis in reality, truth or reason. The SOCOM is just a very cool rifle

Not really, they just took the "regulated rifles" list and replaced the word "regulated" with the word "banned". No one attempted to ban all variants of anything.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    The AR10 is a better rifle all in all. But I love my M1A. I can ring a torso sized silhouette at 600y all day with the standard irons and nothing special for ammo. That's all I ask of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom