• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Their 22 ammo page is my home screen,,
    I never, ever see any 22 available. Is it popping up and gone in 30 seconds, I never see it announced here on the MDS spotters thread.
    I never see it in the stores.

Is CCI busy (the last 2-4 months) with other calibers??

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    I've got some MiniMags from Midsouth Shooters getting delivered tomorrow, some Stingers from Midway USA about two weeks ago. Word is that bots are hitting the manufacturers' sites pretty hard, I've been signing up to get in-stock alerts from a bunch of different retailers and have had some decent luck. So I think it's out there, it's just really hard for us mere mortals to snag it before the auto-scripts clean it out.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Pretty much every manufacturer has stated they are stamping ammo out as fast as they can, but are not building new plants or putting anything into long-term capacity. Couple people I know at gun shops are getting ammo in, but it's gone soon as it hits the shelves, and bots are snatching up everything online. Just like 2009-2013 there are a TON of people scooping it up and selling it for stupid prices. Eventually when it is regularly on shelves and the big online retailers have more than the bots can afford to buy, you will probably get some deals. Last time soon as the music stopped, the small gunshow ammo scalpers were begging people to buy ammo at normal prices or even a little less to undercut the other sellers just to avoid loosing a crap ton of money. Hopefully it happens again, smart folks will build futureproof stocks of ammo, and ride out the inevitable next time it happens.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^^. Some of them anyway. 2015 went to a local show. The small timers were there stilling selling Federal bulk and GB bulk for $50 a box. I told them it was 2015 and the short supply was over. They told me it was hard to find. I said didn’t know that and went about my business.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I've been watching their site just about every day. There was some Quiet available a few weeks ago but they've since been cleaned out.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    They have not had any lately. They are producing quite a bit but I am thinking most gets shipped out and not sold on the site. They only have 22 noise blanks. I bought a bit of CCI 22 today at a Walmart. It was only $3 a box of fifty. They also had CCI 22 Mag. I have enough of it and not buying myself. I have seen quite a bit of CCI at Walmarts lately. I posted today earlier on the Ammo lookout thread.

Notifications pop up on the discord app every so often but there are literally thousands of people monitoring that 24/7 and when a notification does come by it's gone within seconds. Back before the holidays I got lucky and was in the Walmart One quarterfield road just as the clerk behind the counter was unboxing all of the 22 ammo that they had received for the week. It was two bricks of a thousand rounds and according to Walmart's own rules I was entitled to two boxes of ammunition and I bought both bricks. That's the last I saw any on the shelves anywhere. I don't think it's an issue of them not manufacturing any I think it's more of an issue of how fast it disappears from the online retailers based upon the notifications that I see through the discord app. And keep in mind the discord reloading app is only one source for notifications on reloading components, commercial ammunition reloading equipment and tools and also complete firearms and optics. There are many more out there just like it not to mention the full-fledged bots that are monitoring these retailers every second of every day.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Pretty much every manufacturer has stated they are stamping ammo out as fast as they can, but are not building new plants or putting anything into long-term capacity. Couple people I know at gun shops are getting ammo in, but it's gone soon as it hits the shelves, and bots are snatching up everything online. Just like 2009-2013 there are a TON of people scooping it up and selling it for stupid prices. Eventually when it is regularly on shelves and the big online retailers have more than the bots can afford to buy, you will probably get some deals. Last time soon as the music stopped, the small gunshow ammo scalpers were begging people to buy ammo at normal prices or even a little less to undercut the other sellers just to avoid loosing a crap ton of money. Hopefully it happens again, smart folks will build futureproof stocks of ammo, and ride out the inevitable next time it happens.

I think the bolded part above is a big mistake on their part. In the past shortages, things have eventually gone back to normal. And that's fine. However, if we are to believe this current crisis has added between 7 and 8 million new shooters to the sport, the ammo manufacturers should ABSOLUTELY add more infrastructure to their lines. Even when things "normalize", this many new shooters will need more ammo than our current capacity can produce.

Notifications pop up on the discord app every so often but there are literally thousands of people monitoring that 24/7 and when a notification does come by it's gone within seconds. Back before the holidays I got lucky and was in the Walmart One quarterfield road just as the clerk behind the counter was unboxing all of the 22 ammo that they had received for the week. It was two bricks of a thousand rounds and according to Walmart's own rules I was entitled to two boxes of ammunition and I bought both bricks. That's the last I saw any on the shelves anywhere. I don't think it's an issue of them not manufacturing any I think it's more of an issue of how fast it disappears from the online retailers based upon the notifications that I see through the discord app. And keep in mind the discord reloading app is only one source for notifications on reloading components, commercial ammunition reloading equipment and tools and also complete firearms and optics. There are many more out there just like it not to mention the full-fledged bots that are monitoring these retailers every second of every day.

I'm starting to believe part of the problem may be GunBroker. Hear me out.

People now see they can basically make a living buying any ammo they can find at regular prices and sell for huge markups online. That 500ct. WWB 9mm you can buy at BPS for $160 can bring $7-800 on GB. So they buy all they can find, list it, and sell it. The average Joe, all he sees is empty shelves everywhere and thinks there's no other option but to pay GB prices. It is a cycle.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I never, ever see any 22 available. Is it popping up and gone in 30 seconds, I never see it announced here on the MDS spotters thread.

They may like shipping pallets rather than individual packages during these times. Their dealers may have first dibs on the the ammo rather than selling via their online store.

iplay4fun

Aug 15, 2020
    I bought some CCI Quiet and Velocitor ammo directly from CCI last month so they are definitely making it

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    If course CCI is producing ammo, it's their business. As noted, with bots, overwhelming demand and what's stated in Post #12 it's gone in minutes or seconds---like most all other ammo.

Gun shows have plenty at market prices

Justemily

Dec 26, 2010
    Maryland
    WM in Middle River had CCI 22 WMR JHP last week for $11.97 (50 round), there was a guy buying all they had, 20 some, they were letting him have hem all. He looked me with my bottom lip out and kindly let me have 5. Put a smile back on my face. So WM is still getting CCI

MRH

Never sell your sword
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 5, 2020
    Chesapeake Bay
    I had a funeral in NC last weekend, the wife and I hit every Academy Sports + Outdoors in NC along the route and snagged a good bit of CCI Stingers (each store had a ton but a 2 box max purchase), they were hella expensive at 9.99 a box of 50 but I needed more 22LR and picked some up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think the bolded part above is a big mistake on their part. In the past shortages, things have eventually gone back to normal. And that's fine. However, if we are to believe this current crisis has added between 7 and 8 million new shooters to the sport, the ammo manufacturers should ABSOLUTELY add more infrastructure to their lines. Even when things "normalize", this many new shooters will need more ammo than our current capacity can produce.

Most of those new shooters will buy 1 - 2 boxes, and be done.

Estimates are around 71 million gun owners. So 7 million more is 10% increase.

They have 30% excess capacity, based on the ability increase production last year.

So even if those 7 million new shooters buy at the same rate a other gun owners, they will be fine.

And anyway, CCI at least DID increase production the last shortage, as .22 stayed short for a while longer than center fire.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau

No, you are right, and wrong at the same time. They're busy producing rimfire rounds, but turning all production over to the Feds for the time being. Why they need them? Who knows, suppressed hush puppies to kneecap patriot insurrectionists?

ETA: Or, could be glassy eyed, drool mouthed, neck bearded, ammo hoarders at Walmart, either one...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, you are right, and wrong at the same time. They're busy producing rimfire rounds, but turning all production over to the Feds for the time being. Why they need them? Who knows, suppressed hush puppies to kneecap patriot insurrectionists?

ETA: Or, could be glassy eyed, drool mouthed, neck bearded, ammo hoarders at Walmart, either one...

Source for that comment?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom