• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCM

Nov 25, 2020
    I am new to the community and am looking to by an AR type of gun in Virginia.
    Need to find the answers to the following Qs
    a. Can I buy from an online shop ie cheaperthandirt.com and have use a VA based dealer?
    b. Is there an outdoor ranges that i can go to in Frederick still. I used to go with a good friend of mine who passed away who used to go with me to the one off of 70
    c. My son (adult) also wants to learn to shoot so is there any good classes available that we could learn all the nuances of the guns and safety aspects of shooting.

Also, I am a registered gun owner in MD for a handgun.

I have more questions, but i plan on being around for a while so I will have time to get them all answered eventually.

LCM

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    If it meets all of Marylands legal requirements than it's possible but most out of state dealers won't touch it. Why not just have it shipped to a Md ffl? Plenty of IPs on here would be more than happy to perform a transfer for you. I'm not aware of any outdoor public ranges in Fredrick. The AGC is in Marriotsville and Hap Baker is in Westminster.

iplay4fun

Aug 15, 2020
    Most VA ffl dealers wouldn’t do transfers for Maryland. I moved to Maryland from VA a few years back. I would love to know if you find any. All local gun ranges have a variety of classes available so definitely check with them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You can't do a handgun transfer in VA. Must be in your home state.

You can, theoretically, find a FFL in VA to transfer you a long gun that is compliant with MD state law. But you're better off trying to do it locally with someone who understands state law better.

Would agree that avoiding CTD is always a good plan.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    There are plenty of va dealers that’ll transfer a legal gun to a md resident. I’d call first though. Also, DO NOT BUY FROM CHEAPER THAN DIRT. You’ll spend too much and they suck

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yes for long guns. Some dealers are used to doing MD transfers, like at the gun shows. Vienna Arsenal, last I checked, told me they’ll transfer to MD residents.

VA state law still requires non residents to present a second form of ID with a matching address. Look up what’s acceptable and be sure to have it when going to the dealer to do paperwork.

hoppes-no9

Nov 17, 2014
    Cheaper Than Dirt sucks. They’ve been the most blatant price gougers for at least the last eight years, sticking it to gun owners at every opportunity. I will never buy from them.

Why not use Engage or Atlantic Guns for the transfer?

kall_me_king

Jul 15, 2012
    Cheaper Than Dirt should change their name to High as Hell for their prices these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Many VA dealers will not sell to MD residents, as they do not have to have to be sure that the transaction is legal.

By Federal law, the transaction has to be legal in the state the transfer occurs AND in the state of residence of the buyer.

I bought an M1 Carbine at a gun show from a private seller. The first 4 dealers as the show said no. The 5th did the transfer.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    a. Can I buy from an online shop ie cheaperthandirt.com and have use a VA based dealer?
    b. Is there an outdoor ranges that i can go to in Frederick still. I used to go with a good friend of mine who passed away who used to go with me to the one off of 70
    c. My son (adult) also wants to learn to shoot so is there any good classes available that we could learn all the nuances of the guns and safety aspects of shooting.

I have more questions, but i plan on being around for a while so I will have time to get them all answered eventually.

LCM

Regarding ranges, Cresap outdoor range is in Frederick but it has very limited public hours and seems to have mixed reviews. The Isaac Walton league in Frederick has an outdoor range and classes on various things but you need to be a member. It’s a good organization though so worth it, IMO.

I think The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick is excellent but it’s an indoor range but you can shoot anything up to and including .50 BMG in rifles there. They also have a wide variety of classes, including (last time I checked) personal classes/training on some things.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    TK Defense in Gaithersburg works with some Virginia dealers to do transfers in regards to handguns. A 223 rifle would have to be built HBAR to MD specs and not a banned brand like Bushmaster. That would be the complicated part.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    TK Defense in Gaithersburg works with some Virginia dealers to do transfers in regards to handguns. A 223 rifle would have to be built HBAR to MD specs and not a banned brand like Bushmaster. That would be the complicated part.

I have used TK Defense for several online purchases (stripped lower receiver AR, handgun, bolt action gun) and can vouch for them.

Actually, you might want to start out with a stripped lower receiver and build a MD legal AR. There are threads around here with more info of you go that route.

chujohn

Dec 2, 2019
    Northern Virginia

LCM

What caliber of AR are you looking for?

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    TK Defense is a VA and MD dealer. Now as far as sending your online purchase to a dual VA/MD dealer there is one specific reason to send it to the VA site and then have the dealer trasnport it to MD to do the papers in MD. If you order a gun with a "high capacity" magazine sending it to VA and then physically going there to pick up the mags is a ways to comply with MD laws limit on mags over 10 rounds which are legal but cannot be purchased or sent to MD. For exampled, I purchased a high cap mag in Florida and flew back with it. I am not saying you should or shouldn't do any of what I just stated.

QueenBee3200

Mar 5, 2017
    It might be better to just buy in MD and not have to worry about all of that transfer stuff. The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick located at 7910 Reichs Ford Rd, Frederick, MD 21704 is an excellent shop to purchase from. I have purchased a ton of guns through them. Including one that I purchased from another state that was sent to them and did all the transfer paperwork. There is a shop in Rockville that is great too, Engage Armament they are located at 701 E Gude Dr #101, Rockville, MD 20850. They have an excellent inventory and their customer service is great too. Both shops IMO are AWESOME!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom