• ...and so much more!
  • GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    Congrats, you two finally connected.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Ok, sorry it took so long. For those that want the short and quick: I caught my target buck this year. That is a first for me. I've never harvested a target buck that I have early season pics of. You can scroll down for the pictures.

For those that want the story, here it is:

As you know, I've had a bunch of early season pictures of this guy, and hunted him then. I'd hunt him one day and he wouldn't show, and I'd hunt another stand the next day, and I'd get a daylight picture of him. He'd be there when I wasn't, and vice-versa. Typical hunting when you're after one deer. Then the rut hit, and he disappeared. I had no pictures of him from the 2nd week of November until the first week in December, when he showed back up, noticeably thinner.

132135748_10223647857654241_179066677099279112_o.jpg

Then the cat and mouse game resumed, he'd be one place and I'd be another. Finally the last day of gun season, I go out in the afternoon, climb my stand, hang my backpack, load my gun, hang my gun, and I turn around to sit down for the hunt, and I hear deer get up and scamper. Yup, it was him. If I had sat down 30 seconds sooner, I'd have had a chance at him. Instead, he trotted off, and my hunt was over.

I don't hunt again until the snow this past Wednesday. I go out at 11 when the snow starts. At about 12, I see him across the valley working slowly. I watch him for about a half hour, then some does show up. There's 7 of them, and they're spooked by something, and are moving fast. He follows some of them back up over the ridge. I have a conference call I need to take at 2, so I go back in, and come back out at 3. I see nothing the rest of the evening.

I go back out Friday afternoon, liking my chances since there's still snow on the ground, and it is a little icy. I see nothing right up until there's 15 minutes of light left, and he come marching in with three does from the field to the left. I start to think that it might actually happen. He walks up the hill towards me, stops and takes a look at me, and I think it's over. He stares for a minute, then puts his head down and carries on. I draw, and wait for a broadside shot, and I smoke him.

I really wanted a live-weight on this guy, but the terrain I had to drag him across was pretty knarly, and there's no way I could get an ATV in there to haul him. So I gut him in the field. He dressed out at 162 pounds, which I must say is less than I'd thought he'd be. He has a 19-5/8" inside spread. I haven't scored him the rest of the way yet, but hope to get to that tomorrow.

He broke off his two little brow tines, but they were so little, they are of little consequence. I can't help but wonder if he would have put on a bunch of inches next year, but I doubt it. He was very local though, and if I had let him walk, he probably would have stayed in the area. Anyways, here's the pics I took the morning after. My snow buck of 2020, and the maybe 12 hunts I dedicated to him:

Attachments

• small1.jpg
      small1.jpg
      84.8 KB · Views: 174
    • Small2.jpg
      Small2.jpg
      101.7 KB · Views: 180
    • Small3.jpg
      Small3.jpg
      99.4 KB · Views: 175

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Dave, finding and pursuing one deer is quite a challenge. Killing him moves you to the next level. That deer is a true trophy. Well earned. He would hold a place on my wall any time. :thumbsup:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    It's an average. There are under achievers and there are over achievers. Both fit into this chart.

My thinking is this guy is an under achiever. If he's 3, average around where I hunt is 125"- 135" for a 3 YO. Your guy looks to be in the low 100"s. He could blow up into something next year. Maybe he had a bad year, nutrition wise. Who really knows?

He scored 106". You were spot on. Could have added another 3" with broken tines, but that is splitting hairs.

I figure with the mild winter last year, deer got a head-start on growth this year, and this guy wasn't going to amount to much more than this. At least that's what I'm telling myself :).

There's always a chance he could have blown up, but I had fun hunting him this year. If I get a target buck again next year, it'll be game-on all over again!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    He scored 106". You were spot on. Could have added another 3" with broken tines, but that is splitting hairs.

I figure with the mild winter last year, deer got a head-start on growth this year, and this guy wasn't going to amount to much more than this. At least that's what I'm telling myself :).

There's always a chance he could have blown up, but I had fun hunting him this year. If I get a target buck again next year, it'll be game-on all over again!

:D

Going after a particular buck is the ultimate challenge. I've managed to take three. Two were bucks that decided to 'stay home' for the rut instead of leaving in September. The third one was one I hunted for years. When I finally nailed him he was 8 years old( my estimate).
    Congrats again. Bet you can't wait til next season. :)

Last edited:
    I was wondering do you or anyone you know have any deer meat forsale or donating????

Before everyone starts piling on TOO much, it is illegal to sell game meat in Maryland. Giving it away/donating it is perfectly legal. When asking if any is "for sale" it will be met with suspicion.
    If you're looking for venison because you don't hunt (like me) or supply a food bank/shelter, I'm sure there are many here who would help you out. If your family is in need of food, plenty of us will take you grocery shopping.
    (I am responding to all the threads)

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I was wondering do you or anyone you know have any deer meat forsale or donating????

Where are you located? Since you just posted the same thing 7 times, I'm assuming you really do need it. If you are close to Mt Airy you can have one of the hams from this deer, but let me know asap, since I'm about to butcher it.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Where are you located? Since you just posted the same thing 7 times, I'm assuming you really do need it. If you are close to Mt Airy you can have one of the hams from this deer, but let me know asap, since I'm about to butcher it.

I am going to assume he/she pm'd you and has made arrangements to pick up the donated ham???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom