• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catch

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm looking at moving to Morgantown area. Does WV have a vehicle registration for older cars(like historic here in Maryland,no inspection) on cars 0lder then 20years

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Has to be at least 25 years old. $66.50 annual plate renewal, plus annual personal property tax on assessed value.

catch

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks for the response... since the newest old car I have is an 1987 that is good news.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Has to be at least 25 years old. $66.50 annual plate renewal, plus annual personal property tax on assessed value.

wife and I are going to look at a house in WV on Saturday. Property taxes are about 1/3 of what we are paying here in MD. But the personal property tax could impact us as I have a few toys that will be subject to the PP tax. I would love to get an accurate picture of the overall tax burden we are looking at before we make any decision, but not sure how to go about it. I may start with the county tax assessors office.

catch

Nov 21, 2012
    I tagged My 1987 Buick GN with historic tags in 7/19 and they don't expire till
    7/25. One more plus for West Virginia!!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Just realize like most historic plate states you can't drive the car everyday, some places not during the week either. Just to and from "events".
    In WV they have restricted use for up to 10 years on a single registration and also a general use one but I don't know what that costs or differences is. Minimum 25 years old.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Do you have to be a WV resident to register a car in the state ? I am going to have a place in WV for work and want to keep a spare car there.
    Looks like they have an annual inspection. Probably less hassle to keep MD plates.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    wife and I are going to look at a house in WV on Saturday. Property taxes are about 1/3 of what we are paying here in MD. But the personal property tax could impact us as I have a few toys that will be subject to the PP tax. I would love to get an accurate picture of the overall tax burden we are looking at before we make any decision, but not sure how to go about it. I may start with the county tax assessors office.

The county tax assesor is exactly who handles that and could tell you what you would be looking at. To give you an idea we have 3 vehicles a 2018 3/4 diesel a 2019 mazda suv and a 2010 tahoe. I have 2 equipment trailers registered here a boat and a 36ft travel trailer and our bill this april was $300. The inspections cost something like $11 price is set by state and is a quick once over of the vehicle and thats about it.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The county tax assesor is exactly who handles that and could tell you what you would be looking at. To give you an idea we have 3 vehicles a 2018 3/4 diesel a 2019 mazda suv and a 2010 tahoe. I have 2 equipment trailers registered here a boat and a 36ft travel trailer and our bill this april was $300. The inspections cost something like $11 price is set by state and is a quick once over of the vehicle and thats about it.

*****$300 seems very reasonable for 3 vehicles! They are all pretty new as well. I have historic tags on my 87 Buick Grand National and as far as I know there's no restriction on driving it. I drive it mostly on sunny days as it has drag radials on it that are a nightmare in the rain since it has a street/strip transmission that bangs some pretty hard gears. The car has collector car insurance on it from Grundy Worldwide for some crazy high value that's super cheap. I hope never to have to collect on it as I really like the car.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    To be registered as a historic vehicle (class L), your vehicle must be a passenger vehicle, motorcycle or truck (with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less): be 20 calendar years old or older and must not have been substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured from the manufacturers original design.Oct 1, 2016

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom