• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    Congratulations, my coworkers are always telling me to move to WV and thus has been going on for years, yeah think I gotta make that happen asap..

Generally WV seems a pretty good state. Lets not forget though that they reelected an obama lover senator in Manchin. Now in fairness he is the most conservative democrat in the senate, but at the end of the day he votes party over country like the impeachment vote.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Generally WV seems a pretty good state. Lets not forget though that they reelected an obama lover senator in Manchin. Now in fairness he is the most conservative democrat in the senate, but at the end of the day he votes party over country like the impeachment vote.

Eh, yes and no. I'm not a Manchin fan by any stretch of the imagination, but he knows there are votes he's going to have to toe the party line on if he's ever to get anything else done. He voted with the party on impeachment because he knew it wasn't going to matter. Had he been a deciding vote, I assure you it would likely have gone differently.

Manchin straddles a precarious line. He has to hold onto the old-line Dems who pledged their soul to the UMWA and appease the Eastern Panhandle libs to keep his seat. He doesn't have the cachet that Shelly Moore Capito does among the republicans in the state to be able to solidly align with Republicans.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Just got back from a great little spot in an undisclosed location east of Romney, WV. Helped a dear friend inspect an 1800+ sq foot 2009 house and hoof it through the property's rolling acres, and around two half-acre ponds. Previous owner built a nice covered shooting position (tables/benches, in a Dude Gazebo) and a backstop 100 yards across one of the ponds, backed up by a ridge 200 yards farther out, which climbs up about 60 feet. And the place has numerous locations that cry out for steel target placement. Friend liked the place well enough to put in under contract on the spot today, AND the lot next to it (which already has a well drilled, and an access road - it's just itching to become a home, complete with a cool neighbor). Well THAT was an interesting day! 40 acres of pretty damn heavenly WV, less than two hours away.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Congrats!! Hoping to do the same within the next year or two.
    Replies to you sure are different than what I received on here not so long ago when I said that Maryland was a lost cause and that it was time to move back to my home state of WV and enjoy freedom while I still had life left in me.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Just got back from a great little spot in an undisclosed location east of Romney, WV. Helped a dear friend inspect an 1800+ sq foot 2009 house and hoof it through the property's rolling acres, and around two half-acre ponds. Previous owner built a nice covered shooting position (tables/benches, in a Dude Gazebo) and a backstop 100 yards across one of the ponds, backed up by a ridge 200 yards farther out, which climbs up about 60 feet. And the place has numerous locations that cry out for steel target placement. Friend liked the place well enough to put in under contract on the spot today, AND the lot next to it (which already has a well drilled, and an access road - it's just itching to become a home, complete with a cool neighbor). Well THAT was an interesting day! 40 acres of pretty damn heavenly WV, less than two hours away.

Romney also happens to be just downstream of one of the most unspoiled stretches of river in the east. If you like fishing for small mouth bass in unbroken wilderness with bald eagles soaring overhead, "The Trough" between Old Fields and Harmison's Landing just south of Romney is the place to go.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Romney also happens to be just downstream of one of the most unspoiled stretches of river in the east. If you like fishing for small mouth bass in unbroken wilderness with bald eagles soaring overhead, "The Trough" between Old Fields and Harmison's Landing just south of Romney is the place to go.

If you're not from around there, that wilderness (and the local culture) is going to take a while to understand. Once our friend has his new second home up and running, we'll be looking forward to lots of long weekends treating that place a a hub for things just like that bass fishing you're describing.

I'll tell you what: we had to leave late yesterday, but couldn't make ourselves. It was so peaceful and quiet back in those hills my brain almost didn't know what to do with itself. Kind of a shock to the system if you're used to being a stone's throw from the beltway.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    If you're not from around there, that wilderness (and the local culture) is going to take a while to understand. Once our friend has his new second home up and running, we'll be looking forward to lots of long weekends treating that place a a hub for things just like that bass fishing you're describing.

I'll tell you what: we had to leave late yesterday, but couldn't make ourselves. It was so peaceful and quiet back in those hills my brain almost didn't know what to do with itself. Kind of a shock to the system if you're used to being a stone's throw from the beltway.

Yeah, things move at a much different pace there. Not necessarily slower, there are simply different priorities. It always takes me a day or two when I get back home to Charleston to adjust to the way things work there, and it's more metropolitan than most of the rest of the state. Kindness, a smile, and a firm handshake will get you farther in WV than anything else. It's the only state where I've ever had toll booth operators regularly tell me to have a great day and smile when I was paying my tolls. That says a lot about the people. We're wary of outsiders for a little bit, but once you prove you aren't a complete dipsh1t, we're pretty warm and welcoming.

There's a reason they as "Almost Heaven" when it comes to describing it. I always have a hard time coming back to Montgomery County after being home for a bit. I live in the Ag Reserve here, so it's much more peaceful that most suburbs, but it still doesn't hold a candle to WV. My wife grew up in NC, and she LOVES the mountains in the western part of the state, but in her mind, nothing at all compares to WV. She wants to move there. Just pick up, sell the house, buy a cabin, and figure out how to make a living. The state has this habit of working its way into your soul and lodging itself there. Once you've spent time in the mountains of WV, no matter where you're from, you'll want to go back. Just typing this makes me want to go spend a week back home. There are sights, sounds, and smells there that just stay with you and bring you back. The smell of coal smoke and steam whistles echoing down the valley are some of the ones I miss the most from my time in Pocahontas County. When I want to be transported back, I'll cue up a video of Cass in operation and lean back and close my eyes.

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    hopefully the yankees never invade west virginia. They are using breeding in Texas and Georgia along with people relocating from crapholes that could cause the second american civil war....er i mean states to go blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom