• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    https://dissenter.com

Going to do some looking at this and see what's up. Looks like they are part of the Gab organization.

The problem always comes back to the fact that there is an inverse proportion relationship between what a browser blocks and secures versus the functionality of sites.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    nah.....

How does it work?

To get started download and install the Dissenter browser, create an account and login to Dissenter. Click the Dissenter logo in the top right hand corner of the browser to view and leave comments on any URL on the internet.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I've used Dissenter browser since the day it was first released. For the most part, it's the only browser I use. The first version wasn't good. Getting updates was an awkward, time-consuming, manual process. The new version is rock solid. It auto-updates without any pain or drama. Works perfectly with Chrome add-ons. You do not need a Dissenter account to use it.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    It's software to be run on a raspberry pi connected to your router that acts as your own DNS server.

I can read the words, but I honestly haven't a fcking clue what you just said....LOL.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I can read the words, but I honestly haven't a fcking clue what you just said....LOL.

Websites use centralized servers to propagate ads and track your movement across the interwebs. If you want to see a cool visual display of how interconnected much of the internet is install the Lightbeam plugin on Firefox.

Pi-hole maintains a blacklist of IP address from known advertising/tracking servers around the world and filters them from interacting on your network. You can add (or delete) domains and IP’s to the blacklist, or whitelist, as you see fit. Currently, my pi-hole is blocking 8.7% of the traffic trying to interact with my network as my family and I use the internet.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Websites use centralized servers to propagate ads and track your movement across the interwebs. If you want to see a cool visual display of how interconnected much of the internet is install the Lightbeam plugin on Firefox.

Pi-hole maintains a blacklist of IP address from known advertising/tracking servers around the world and filters them from interacting on your network. You can add (or delete) domains and IP’s to the blacklist, or whitelist, as you see fit. Currently, my pi-hole is blocking 8.7% of the traffic trying to interact with my network as my family and I use the internet.

OK - I may get around to it.

Test driving Brave browser right now. I guess I could get used to it. Looks like there's a lot of built in protections.

The TOR circuit thing works, it seems.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    seems like dissenter has already been blocked by Apple.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 11.10.15 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 11.10.15 AM.jpg
      28 KB · Views: 418

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Brave seems to be working well.

Running MDS through a TOR window with only a little lag.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    seems like dissenter has already been blocked by Apple.

No, it’s just an app not from the App Store. Almost all apps not from the App Store throw that warning. Go under system preferences, security/privacy, and allow it. You only have to do it once per app and I’m pretty sure you can tell it to allow all apps so you won’t get the warning again.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Be careful with Brave. Riddled with trackers.

Regarding Tor, it's only as secure as the endpoint you're connecting to. Endpoints can monitor everything you do. Endpoints have a reverse path into your network. Tor can be a great way to make yourself a high-visibility target that warrants monitoring.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Be careful with Brave. Riddled with trackers.

Regarding Tor, it's only as secure as the endpoint you're connecting to. Endpoints can monitor everything you do. Endpoints have a reverse path into your network. Tor can be a great way to make yourself a high-visibility target that warrants monitoring.

I thought the whole point of Brace was the exact opposite?

There were a whole bunch of default ad things that you need to deselect (pretty sneaky) but I did that.

I use TOR windows for here and some other gun sites. Not like I even know what the dark web really is, nor how to get there.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I apologize for the thread hi-jack, but I think the right people are already in the room here. Why is it so many websites (Citizen Free Press for example), can't be viewed when I have my VPN on (Nord)? I have used it for 2+ years and more and more sites are this way? Work around? Using Google Chrome. I did try Brave a couple years back and gave it up. Too many things were blocked, security warnings, etc.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Thanks for this. I switched to Mozilla a while back to start de-googling. Then, this morning read your post about Mozilla...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom