• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    I've been tossing this one around for a while. Up until recently the 25-06 was the choice because the 6.5 Creed was still a bit of a wildcat with expensive ammo. Now all the mainstream manufacturers aren't even offering 25-06 in favor of 6.5 Creed.

This rifle will be mainly for deer, maybe an antelope hunt in the not-too-distant future. If I ever get my s*t together for an elk hunt, I'll go bigger, probably 300WM. And while I know both of these calibers are darlings of the "long range" crowd, probably won't shoot either much past 300yds.

Is there even a debate here, or are they totally equal and I should just buy the first one that comes available at a reasonable price?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Can't comment on the 25-06 but every rifle I have ever shot in 6.5 Creedmoor has been a tack driver. Ammo is a problem for both right now but I have enough components to keep my 6.5's fed for awhile.

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    I am partial to quarter bores so 25-06 would be my choice. All the new cartridge development is just a twist on something that already exists to sell new guns. 6.5x55 would be my choice for a 6.5 caliber.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    I am partial to quarter bores so 25-06 would be my choice. All the new cartridge development is just a twist on something that already exists to sell new guns. 6.5x55 would be my choice for a 6.5 caliber.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Why would you go 6.5x55? Not a round I'm familiar with?
    Ammo (or rifles) equally as available as the 25-06 or Creed?

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    Thanks for the recommendation. Why would you go 6.5x55? Not a round I'm familiar with?
    Ammo (or rifles) equally as available as the 25-06 or Creed?

6.5x55 Swedish Mauser has been around since the 1890's. The 6.5 Creedmoor offers slight difference in velocity etc. Ammo can be hard to find but I reload.
    You can't go wrong with any of the classics like 30-06, 270, 25-06 35 Whelen, 6.5x55; 7x57 and many more

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Maybe you just go straight to this:

"A New Long-Range Contender Makes Its Debut.
    It's been done ... meet the 6.8 Western. Today, an all-new cartridge for long-range hunting and shooting, the 6.8 Western features a higher energy and lower recoil design to perform far beyond its size."

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    257 roberts.(it's mdshooters, in an A or B thread, you must always respond with C. this is the way)

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Well, damn, school me on the Roberts. Quick read says trajectory is not as flat or quick as 25-06 and delivers less energy as the 6.5 Creed. And that if you don't reload you're in trouble

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    I have 25-06 and Swidish 6.5, both very nice!! I also have 7mmx64 and ammo seems to be plentiful right now (~$18 for a box of 20)!! But I did not have the opportunity to take it to the range, so I can't say one way or the other, but 7mmx64 is a very popular round in Europe.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Well, damn, school me on the Roberts. Quick read says trajectory is not as flat or quick as 25-06 and delivers less energy as the 6.5 Creed. And that if you don't reload you're in trouble

Basically it's a slightly more efficient version of the 25-06. Most commercial loads are downloaded in case of older Mauser actions. Handloading brings it up to -06 territory with many claiming less recoil/noise due to efficiency. There's also an Ackley version that's awesome. I like it because of my name.

joma352

Jan 4, 2018
    Lower Eastern Shore
    Hunted with 6.5 creedmore for the first time this year and really liked it. Took the only doe I shot this year down in a heap. Nice knockdown power without the kick which is what I was looking for

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Basically it's a slightly more efficient version of the 25-06. Most commercial loads are downloaded in case of older Mauser actions. Handloading brings it up to -06 territory with many claiming less recoil/noise due to efficiency. There's also an Ackley version that's awesome. I like it because of my name.
    I saw Winchester makes 270R +P loads. Would those be equivalent to hot handloads?

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016

^^^This^^^ 6.5x55 Swede might very slightly have the edge over 25-06 but both have been touted as the best whitetail/'lope round. Chuck Hawks has great reviews on both. YMMV.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    ^^^This^^^ 6.5x55 Swede might very slightly have the edge over 25-06 but both have been touted as the best whitetail/'lope round. Chuck Hawks has great reviews on both. YMMV.
    Yeah I'm a reader of Chuck Hawks and one of the reasons I used to be set on 25-06. But the Creed seems like the modern successor to the Swede, with rounds available up to Elk hunting stds

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Yeah I'm a reader of Chuck Hawks and one of the reasons I used to be set on 25-06. But the Creed seems like the modern successor to the Swede, with rounds available up to Elk hunting stds

Either are perfect for whitetail, 'yotes, or 'lopes at short to very long range and most rifles are sub MOA. One can use these for elk but I would prefer to use a .300 Win Mag for those infrequent elk or bear hunts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom