Anyone ever have a problem shooting steel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Wonder if AGC will let you shoot that on the 200yd range?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I don't get closer than about 10 yards on my steel. 10 yards, I am not hitting any bolt heads. Which is a culprit for many. Shoot slower.

The answer for most people who are worried/scared, is frangible ammo. Especially if you want to shoot any closer than 10 yards

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Long long ago when MDS had a group get-together at DSC we had a jacket from a .50bmg round bounce back from some steel placed the 100yd berm and land in someone's truck bed behind the firing line. :eek:

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    So is there a suggested angle? I have a 16” round x 3/4 thick plate hanging from 2 chains. After reading this thread I am thinking of adding a chain to the bottom and pulling bottom toward backstop to add some angle rather than hanging plumb.

Duckncover

Jan 14, 2021
    howard county
    So is there a suggested angle? I have a 16” round x 3/4 thick plate hanging from 2 chains. After reading this thread I am thinking of adding a chain to the bottom and pulling bottom toward backstop to add some angle rather than hanging plumb.

I’m not sure what it is or if there is one (there probably is). What I have done is put carriage bolts through the holes in the target, then attach the chains to the bolt behind the target. I use washers surrounding the chain and nuts on either side of the washer to keep the chain at the end of the bolt, as far from the rear face of the target as possible. This will make the target naturally hang at an angle. Its been about 3 years and Ive never had a problem

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    That’s a good idea. I weld large nuts on mine. I believe your idea will work with this as well.

96E372F3-196F-44D7-A532-F9577FD21E96.jpg

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    Had one years ago with a BB gun and BB targets. The kids were shooting at about 10 yrds and we got a BB back. Hit somebody in the arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom