• de cap (3).jpg
      de cap (3).jpg
      66.7 KB · Views: 157

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    If hi-point made a 357, I'd consider it. I'd be using a 20 ft string attached to the trigger and stand behind an embankment just to be safe. ;)

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    That is a tough call. I'm in a similar situation with about 200 45 colt reloads that came with a gun I bought. I thought about just pulling a few and weighing the charges to see if they are consistent, but since I have some other factory ammo, and the ability to salvage the components and reuse them , I will probably just pull them all.
    If I didn't have anything else to shoot and was not set up to reload, I might be more daring as they do look okay from the outside.

Last edited:

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Thanks,
    I am pretty anal about checking, double checking things.

That is a very good quality to have when reloading. Documentation, organization, and follow-through help too.

Documentation: keeping track of what you've done.
    Organization: knowing where things are and finding what you've done before.
    Follow-through: implementing your processes completely and consistently.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Interesting.

I have 458 .50BMG reloads that I assembled together. Was thinking about selling all of my .50BMG ammo in the future (almost 1500 rounds), but the reloads may be harder to offer.

I probably will have to shoot all of the .50BMG reloads myself. :envy:

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    Interesting.

I have 458 .50BMG reloads that I assembled together. Was thinking about selling all of my .50BMG ammo in the future (almost 1500 rounds), but the reloads may be harder to offer.

I probably will have to shoot all of the .50BMG reloads myself. :envy:

Sounds like an MDS shoot in the making.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    What’s wrong with the Remington ball load? Looks like regular factory ammo unless somebody reloaded them and re-used the factory box.

As for the reloads, after pulling the bullets and dump the powder, Don’t forget to give a squirt of WD40 and let it soak to kill the primers before de-capping them.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Lots of variables, im on the fence. I still hold true to not buying reloads that have no data. If its the right data and right powder within min max loads, i might shoot. I might pull and measure a few rounds. Cant really tell what powder is in there but can measure load. That being said

I worked with a guy that bought some gunshow reloads, said he was having magazine problems. When he fired the magazine bottom would come off. I wanted to help so i said id go to range, i put one round in my rifle and sure enough my magazine bottom came off because overpressure!! I told him to dump the ammo cuz it was way hot

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you don't know who reloaded them, I would pull and reload.

You could pull a few and measure the powder load. If you have some of the same powder, compare them visually. If they look good, I would reduce the powder charge to the starting load in the book, and try them. If they are fine, the others should be OK.

If there is any question, then pull the bullets, dump the powder, and reload with a known powder and charge.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As for the reloads, after pulling the bullets and dump the powder, Don’t forget to give a squirt of WD40 and let it soak to kill the primers before de-capping them.

1) WHY? Why not just load them with the current primers?

2) These days, with primers going for $1 - $2 EACH, you want to kill them? And BTW, WD-40 doesn't really kill them.

3) If you really want to pull them all the way down, many people here have decapped live primers without issues. Just go slowing, and do not slam the decapping pin into the primer.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    1) WHY? Why not just load them with the current primers?

2) These days, with primers going for $1 - $2 EACH, you want to kill them? And BTW, WD-40 doesn't really kill them.

3) If you really want to pull them all the way down, many people here have decapped live primers without issues. Just go slowing, and do not slam the decapping pin into the primer.

1) Those are small rifle mag primers, the OP may prefer Small Magnum Pistol or just Small Pistol his new loads depending on his powder selection.

2) Primers $1-2 a piece? WTF, are you smoking crack? Haven't seen prices jump that much. They may hit .05-.10 range based on supply & demand. And yes, WD-40 doesn't really kill them but it does help make them inert enough to de-cap safely.

3) Eventus stultorum magister ;)

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    I would weigh them individually, and pull down the heaviest and the lightest ones. Then I would weigh the powder in each, and check it against a loading table. Next shoot the primers out of the empty cases to check if they work.
    If in spec- then good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom