• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirk911

May 10, 2011
    Church Hill
    I’m curious if there is really that much difference between the .22 magnum rounds and regular .22LR when shot from a 2” barrel. I feel like the magnum rounds wouldn’t have enough barrel length to burn all the powder behind it and it seems like that would tighten the performance gap between the loads with similar grain bullets.
    Does anyone know how much difference in velocity/energy there is between the two rounds when shot from a short 2” barrel or maybe where to find out?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I’m curious if there is really that much difference between the .22 magnum rounds and regular .22LR when shot from a 2” barrel. I feel like the magnum rounds wouldn’t have enough barrel length to burn all the powder behind it and it seems like that would tighten the performance gap between the loads with similar grain bullets.
    Does anyone know how much difference in velocity/energy there is between the two rounds when shot from a short 2” barrel or maybe where to find out?

It appears to me that you need a 4 inch barrel, before you begin to see real separation between the 2 rimfire rounds.

You can compare here:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Rough rule of thumb - .22WMR from 2in is in same velocity range as .22lr from 4in .

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    .22 WMR is a great cartridge, but only from a rifle length barrel. I used to own an Automag .22 Mag with a 6” barrel. Velocity over a chronograph was 1,200 - 1,300 FPS, and that was in an automatic without velocity loss from a revolver cylinder gap. It was a hoot to shoot because it would put out an 8” ball of fire from the end of the muzzle with every shot. That sucker would light up a dark room. Obviously lots of unburned powder out of a 6” barrel. I came to the conclusion that .22 long rifle had very similar ballistics to the .22 WMR out of a pistol length barrel, so why pay more for .22 WMR ammo? I have used .22 WMR in a rifle for hunting groundhogs, and it is great for that, I just wouldn’t recommend it in a pistol.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Back when I was chrono’ing a bunch I used the following two firearms to chrono loads from time to time. These values are +/- 25 fps of the round figure value I recall below. m
    5.5” Mark II 22LR Ruger semi auto, using typical HV loads.
    6.5” Single Six Convertible revolver with 22 WMR cylinder, using typical HV loads.

22 LR: 900 fps. (Rem GB, Fed Premium, both 38 grain)
    22 WMR: 1400 fps (CCI MaxiMag, Fed Prem, both 40 grain)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Back when I was chrono’ing a bunch I used the following two firearms to chrono loads from time to time. These values are +/- 25 fps of the round figure value I recall below. m
    5.5” Mark II 22LR Ruger semi auto, using typical HV loads.
    6.5” Single Six Convertible revolver with 22 WMR cylinder, using typical HV loads.

22 LR: 900 fps. (Rem GB, Fed Premium, both 38 grain)
    22 WMR: 1400 fps (CCI MaxiMag, Fed Prem, both 40 grain)

Sounds about right.

What I remember about the 5.5 inch Single Six in 22 Mag that I'd squirrel hunt with is that it was....ballistically at least....pretty much the equal to my rifle chambered in 22LR.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Sounds about right.

What I remember about the 5.5 inch Single Six in 22 Mag that I'd squirrel hunt with is that it was....ballistically at least....pretty much the equal to my rifle chambered in 22LR.

It can be likened to a warm 38 Spec and a 357 Magnum. To get an expected shorter barreled pistol’s velocity:
    Subtract about 25 fps for the 22 LR
    Subtract 40 - 50 fps for the 22Mag

Of course, ammo and firearms factors vary.

gwfrench

Aug 21, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    Last month I was shooting a High Standard derringer in 22 magnum. At 21 feet at least one of the rounds was already going sideways. It also shot about a foot high and a foot left. So I figure it's a good defense round within 10 feet. My father bought it about 40 years ago and it had never been fired before. Next time I'll try running it through my chronograph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom