• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    Hi All,

I have recently joined this great forum after lurking for awhile. I am from Cecil County and i am new to shooting handguns. I grew up in a hunting family and hunted myself using rifles and shotguns however i gave that up several years ago. The only pistol experience i have was that i shot a 22 pistol many years ago and i shot a .45 while in the Army 25 years ago. Needless to say i have very little pistol shooting experience however, i am very safety concious from growing up hunting and i have also recently taken the NRA Pistol Safety course.

My first purchase was a Glock 19, Gen 4 and my second and recent purchase is a S&W 637 .38 Special. I have shot the Glock a few times and love it! I just picked up the .38 today which leads me to my question for you guys, is there a difference between ".38 Special" ammo and "S&W .38" ammo?
    I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but i always want to make sure i am doing the right thing. While waiting to pick up my .38 i bought some Remington 38 Special, 130 grain, MC ammo and when i brought the gun home i noticed on the barrel it says ".38 S&W SPL. +P" and i just want to be sure that i can use any .38 special ammo.

Thanks for your input.

John

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    38 S&W is a different cartridge, but I don't think any guns have been chambered in it for a while.
    38 special and 38 S&W special mean the same thing. S&W marks their guns 38 S&W special for some reason. Probably to give the impression that it's a S&W design.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    They're both S&W designs.

.38 S&W - developed by Smith & Wesson in 1877.

.38 Special - developed by Smith & Wesson in 1898, parent case is .38 Long Colt.

"+P" means ammo designed to higher pressure and velocity than standard. Your .38 Special +P revolver will easily handle any standard ammo you care to feed it.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    welcome to the forum- others have answered your questions before I got here, but enjoy your wheel gun!

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    If the barrel indicates as you have posted, any cartridge that is labeled as follows:

.38 special (with or without +p)
    .38 S&W special (with or without +p)

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    Thanks for the responses, you guys answered my question!

Hopefully in the future i'll be able to contribute to this forum and help others out!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom