• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I like a decent set of night sights on all my defensive pistols. Good sights help balance fast acquisition and consist accuracy in all conditions. Night sights extend the ability to gain a good sight picture past daylight hours into low light, before the point where a flashlight must be used to identify a target, this is important as most defensive shootings occur in low light.

I have a few brands of sights on my handguns, Meprolight, Trijicon, Ameriglo, and my favorite Novak. Most brands appear similar at night, with 3 green tritium dots, but the Novaks have a snag-free shape, help reduce glare in bright light, extend to the back of the slide, and inset the rear dots and notch to help speed acquisition while keeping a precise sight picture. I already have a few sets of Novaks that have proven great, although the Set on my G30SF appear a bit small on the wide 45cal slide, and their price keeps climbing. I was comparing other options on my newly acquired G20SF intended for winter CCW when I came across a couple reviews for sights sold by a small Washington state company that specializes in GLOCKs, Aro-Tek.

They appeared to be everything I could hope for, Trijicon tubes, a larger novak style rear that fit the wide 10/45 glock slides better, different heights to adjust POI if desired, and this design claims they include all tools needed to install them, no pusher required. I sent an e-mail, got a reply 2 hours later that they had a set in stock (part 5000133, std for 20, 21,29, 30), so I placed the order, $104 shipping included. A week later they arrived via UPS, packaged well in a padded envelope, all parts in separate bags with a small allen wrench and spare screws for the rear and tool for the screw in front sight.

I have pushers and a press, so I'm equipped for installs, but this one was easier than any other, I pushed out the stock plastic rear, and unscrewed the front with the included tool, applied a little blue loc-tite, centered and screwed the new front in, so far so good. The rear is a bit unique in that it is a 2 piece, there is a plate that fits in the dovetail, and the sight bolts to it with 2 countersunk screws that pull the pieces together and lock it in place. The plate was snug, but tapped into place easy with a plastic punch and small hammer, just a hair bit too tight to push it in with fingers alone, far less effort than any press-in sight. I centered it, and tightened the screws, and that was it, done in 5 minutes, most anyone could install these with basic tools, the most difficult part is pushing out the old sight. I ran to the range, fine tuned the rear for windage, and added a little blue loc-tite to the rear screws to keep them from backing out, but so far so good, the sight didn't budge under recoil, and it stayed put after tapping on it with a piece of wood, seems as solid as any 1 piece sight, and being the front already secures with screws I am confident it will hold up.

I am VERY happy with this sight, the rear notch is a bit wider, and the sights a bit taller than the Novak set for this application, allowing a bit more light on each side of the front for a nice fast sight acquisition, but the tall narrow front lines up well for precise shots, similar to the custom Novaks on my custom M&P IDPA gun. The tritium vials are made by trijicon, dated 2013, so they are fresh, nice and bright. The rear sight is a smooth wedge shape, so easy to rack and snag-free on the draw, although some who subscribe to techniques involving racking with the slides on a belt won't like that. The rear dots and notch are inset to improve definition and reduce glare like Novaks, and they are nicely finished in what looks like a phosphate finish, perfect match for the older GLOCK black finish but a bit darker than the new lighter grey finish on late model 3rd and gen 4 GLOCKs. I didn't spend a lot of time at the range, but hits were centered even with the top of the front sight close, climbing a couple inches high at 25 yards, near 0 at 50, and about a foot low at 100 with 180gr@1200FPS 10mm loads, about perfect sight alignment, hotter or softer loads would likely change though. The only problem with these sights are that they ONLY make them for GLOCKs, they are a good compromise between speed and accuracy, classic 3 dot setup, quality built, affordable, and uniquely easy to install with tools included, I would recommend them to anyone else in the market.

http://www.arotek.com/

20131017_133438.jpg

20131017_142817.jpg

20131017_113609.jpg

20131017_113640.jpg

20131017_113622.jpg

20131017_152550.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Kept them on paper at around 30 feet, although did push to the left a bit, would have been near impossible without night sights

20131018_221836.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom