• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'm not sure where the closet one is. That is not good. Good post. Got me thinking. As soon as the white walls melt, I'm gonna find it...

The closest ones near me have long metal rods bolted to them that stick up about 5ft in the air so the plows and firemen know basically where they are.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Common attack lines flow 100 - 150 gpm (gallons per minute). Average fire engine carries 500 - 750 gallons. Think that flag is going to be dug out to a usable hydrant in 5 -7 minutes??? You're probably a lot better off to dig before it's your house!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    That is incredible.
    I always make sure my fire hydrant is cleared.

People should know. I am sure I was asked in my homeowners insurance how close it is. There is like savings involved. My hydrant is 125 feet away and clear.

Heard a story one time where a kid built a big snowman over/around a fire hydrant. A bunch of high schoolers thought it would be funny to run down the snowman in their car and well.....

This reminds me of something totally nearly related from my childhood. My brother and myself self used to make a snow fort around the patio. Attack and defend, kid stuff. Came home to see the neighbor kids kicked in the fort.

Borrowed spare stuff from a project and rebuilt the fort with cinder blocks and 4x4s embedded in the snow. By dawns early light our fort was still there. :D

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    When I first moved to MD, I noticed fire hydrants had long fiberglass antennae attached to them. I wondered why in the hell did they need radio controlled hydrants.......................duh figured it out when it snowed that winter.

Secret government monitoring/transmitting stations :tinfoil:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    When I first moved to MD, I noticed fire hydrants had long fiberglass antennae attached to them. I wondered why in the hell did they need radio controlled hydrants.......................duh figured it out when it snowed that winter.

It's so that they can shut them off during hours of peak use.:lol2:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Around here the hydrants are marked with a 4 or 5 foot 2" x 2" wooden stake, painted yellow at the top.

I don't bother if there's only 4 or 6 inches, of course, but I not only cleared the hydrant after last weeks 20", I also cleared away the snow banks for several feet to make it very visible and easy to find.

That's just common sense.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    That is incredible.

I always make sure my fire hydrant is cleared.

Truly.

I checked up on the next few hydrants closest to my house and made sure they were clear.

Around here the hydrants are marked with a 4 or 5 foot 2" x 2" wooden stake, painted yellow at the top.

I don't bother if there's only 4 or 6 inches, of course, but I not only cleared the hydrant after last weeks 20", I also cleared away the snow banks for several feet to make it very visible and easy to find.

That's just common sense.

In my neighborhood, they use fiberglass 'flags'. People should be aware as to what these flags mean. If you let your kids remove them, your neighborhood becomes that much more difficult to protect (via fire hydrant) and more likely to flood because its not draining properly (many neighborhoods also use rods to indicate where the drains are).

We pay (taxes, HOA) people to provide these services, everything from taking our trash, planting 'snow flags', etc. Let's do our part to help them out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom