• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    1. Buy said gun for $500
    2. Send back to Ruger complaining about bullets going everywhere but the target
    3. Ruger replaces barrel for free
    4. Profit!

Didn't know Ruger did barrels for free. I will keep that in mind. I saw mini 14s not too long ago at my local Walmart for around $600 new if I'm not mistaken.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    The MD corrections gun have been shot out. Lots of problems on the ones I've seen. Many are decades old.

I've shot them................ 800 rounds 38+p each new class went through the revolvers every other month just the school alone (not including requals) minimum 4800 a year, I forget the mini's numbers... nothing like that but a lot still.

Not saying good deals CANNOT be had but caveat emptor. I have yet to buy a used weapon sight unseen, I ALWAYS carry a bullet just to put in the bore... it's a good go, no go gauge. :shrug:

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Didn't know Ruger did barrels for free. I will keep that in mind. I saw mini 14s not too long ago at my local Walmart for around $600 new if I'm not mistaken.

Even if true..... is it worth it? Not to me..... 200 dollars more you get a NEW gun, less if you shop around for a used you can see, feel, touch and small. :shrug:

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    It depends on the gun you get.

The one I bought from Shooter's Discount looked like a new gun inside and out.

And I highly doubt tens of thousands of rounds went through any one gun.

I bought one from Lou that looked like it had barely been used. I took it to the range and it functioned perfectly. It was as accurate as any other Mini 14 I've shot. I liked it so much I bought one for my son. It was the same condition and also functioned perfectly.
    Everyone has their own opinion, buying a used vs new firearm is a personal choice. Buy what you want and enjoy it while you're still on the green side.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Maybe they have not been shot as much because LE has really gone away from mini and moved more into the community policing. Even in correctional setting

Maryland Dept of Corrections still uses the Mini...I qualify with a Mini 14 twice a year. The barrels are gauged by our armorers and when they don't meet specs, they are sent back to Ruger to be rebarrled. However, now when the Mini is sent back for rebarrel or repair, Ruger replaces them with Mini 14 Ranch rifles. The rear sight on the Ranch rifle is generic and does not hold up well at all compared to the nice rugged sight on the regular Mini. I know Ruger does this because most people seem to put optics on them these days and some Correctional Facilities in MD utilize Red dots, but some facilities still use iron sights only.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I bought one from Lou that looked like it had barely been used. I took it to the range and it functioned perfectly. It was as accurate as any other Mini 14 I've shot. I liked it so much I bought one for my son. It was the same condition and also functioned perfectly.
    Everyone has their own opinion, buying a used vs new firearm is a personal choice. Buy what you want and enjoy it while you're still on the green side.

:thumbsup:

I bought mine its own case of ammo because it grouped so well with that particular brand.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

Almost ALL my weapons are used BUT I know for fact the bore condition before I buy it. I wouldn't be afraid of a CMP without seeing it because you're buying a graded weapon from someone reputable. CMP or a gun shop that has it onsite ain't SAMCO or the like sight unseen.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

And that's the key..... you saw it first, no internet sale.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    You can pick up Mini's at Walmart for not much more money. I paid a hair over $600 each for mine last year. Just rather have new for not much more money.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I haven't seen a mini at Walmart in years. Where are you seeing them? Just curious.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    They have it in the rotary case up thus way in Newberry, pa. Walmart.......... 700 and change. ( I think 729 to be exact)

That makes sense. I should have said I haven't seen them in Walmarts located in Maryland for some time.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I have bought Mini-14's at both the Dunkirk Walmart (you may have to ask the gray haired man that is there in the afternoon, the rifle may not be on display out front but stored in the back) and the California, Walmart store.
    Just a note for you that shop at the Southern Maryland Walmart stores. The Dunkirk store prices on firearms is priced considerably less than either the California or LaPlata stores. I think I know why but the reason has been disputed on here before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom