• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Sherman, Crank up the "Way Back Machine" ... ABCNews.com May 30, 2009 - First President in US History to Have Voted to Filibuster a Supreme Court Nominee Now Hopes for Clean Process Mixing my metaphors, but has karma come to roost for our pontificator-in-chief bitch ? He may have already thrown more than a 'wrench' into current investigations. How about something more effective from the CIA's 'tool box' ? But whad'da I know ...

Thank you SO much for posting this.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD

Senator Leahy: Is there any doubt after the Court’s decision in Heller and McDonald that the Second Amendment to the Constitution secures a fundamental right for an individual to own a firearm, use it for self-defense in their home?

Ms. Kagan: There is no doubt, Senator Leahy. That is binding precedent entitled to all the respect of binding precedent in any case. So that is settled law.

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    Didnt read it but i can see that as a bargaining chip to allow the indictment of Hillary
    The Republicans would be fools to take the bait. A conviction is not guaranteed but confirming Lynch would be a guaranteed Progressive disaster.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Mitch McConnell Contact Information.

Louisville Office

601 W. Broadway
    Room 630
    Louisville, KY 40202
    Phone: (502) 582-6304

Washington Office

317 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    Phone: (202) 224-2541
    Fax: (202) 224-2499

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Let's hope Roberts doesn't start to feel heart attack-y. Under Stalin, a lot of the inner circle came down with heart attacks. It was a real outbreak.

President Obama could beat Roberts to death with a 9 iron on prime time tv and nobody would care or question it.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    The Republicans would be fools to take the bait. A conviction is not guaranteed but confirming Lynch would be a guaranteed Progressive disaster.

The will take that in a picosecond . They will hedge their bets that with Hillary out they are going to win the WH this year and at least 1 liberal justice will retire/die within the next term

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

Senator Leahy: Is there any doubt after the Court’s decision in Heller and McDonald that the Second Amendment to the Constitution secures a fundamental right for an individual to own a firearm, use it for self-defense in their home?

Ms. Kagan: There is no doubt, Senator Leahy. That is binding precedent entitled to all the respect of binding precedent in any case. So that is settled law.

Settled law (wink, wink).

1. individual
    2. firearm
    3. for self defense
    4. home

What's to keep that standard from being met by permitting only a single musket, for self defense, kept inside your door home at all times, subject to registration with the state?

And it's "settled," until it isn't. There is nothing to prevent the Supreme Court from reversing itself in the future if the Constitution a "living document," which Scalia fought against and Kagan is for.

I don't know the context of that quote between Leahy and Kagan, but sounds like was a disingenuous attempt during her confirmation hearing to quell any gun owners' concerns about her 2-A friendliness. It doesn't shed any light on anything; merely confirms what nobody denies. There's plenty of room there to drive a truck through.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Settled law (wink, wink).

1. individual
    2. firearm
    3. for self defense
    4. home

What's to keep that standard from being met by permitting only a single musket, for self defense, kept inside your door home at all times, subject to registration with the state?

And it's "settled," until it isn't. There is nothing to prevent the Supreme Court from reversing itself in the future if the Constitution a "living document," which Scalia fought against and Kagan is for.

I don't know the context of that quote between Leahy and Kagan, but sounds like was a disingenuous attempt during her confirmation hearing to quell any gun owners' concerns about her 2-A friendliness. It doesn't shed any light on anything; merely confirms what nobody denies. There's plenty of room there to drive a truck through.

Yup!

No Confirmation.

PERIOD!

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    I don't think all is lost if Obama does get a new justice through the Senate before he leaves office. Ginsberg is 82 I don't think she makes it another 4 years. The Republicans have to win the election though. If this happens obama gets a liberal and the new republican gets a conservative when ginsberg goes

Kennedy is 79 and Beyer is 77.
    These two could go in the next 8 years.

The current average retirement/death age is 79.

The oldest justice was 90.

The presidential election is huge for the court. But we knew this way before scalia passed away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

Stare decisis....same reason Roe v Wade will not be overturned by the court's conservatives

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I don't think all is lost if Obama does get a new justice through the Senate before he leaves office. Ginsberg is 82 I don't think she makes it another 4 years. The Republicans have to win the election though. If this happens obama gets a liberal and the new republican gets a conservative when ginsberg goes

The oldedt justice was 90.

The presidential election is huge for the court. But we knew this way before scalia passed away.

And Sri's actual personal politics are unknown. He could very well be a more libertarian in philosophy than the left hopes for. Brown/tan skin does not make you a liberal.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The news keeps parroting that Kennedy was nominated by Reagan in late '87 before the '88 election (which GHWB would win), and approved under Reagan, so the GOP should be able to do the same for a '16 Obama nomination. If I remember correctly, Kennedy was a compromise choice after a Democratic Party led Senate rejected Robert Bork for political reasons earlier in '87.

So the vacancy that Kennedy filled was open for much longer, the Dems rejected a candidate they felt would not support their political positions, and Reagan compromised and nominated a moderate.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

The oldest justice was 90.

I agree. I think the next President will get at least a couple of appointments. Hopefully we'll have a Republican Senate and President at that point.

However, I do wonder if the Scalia replacement nomination goes quicker than expected and is confirmed, whether Ginsburg (in poor health, and having lost her husband a few years back and now her dear friend on the Court) may be thinking of retiring now under Obama. In fact, if she announced soon, I think there would be a lot of pressure to fill her slot now which becomes hard to argue against with two vacancies.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    I agree. I think the next President will get at least a couple of appointments. Hopefully we'll have a Republican Senate and President at that point.

However, I do wonder if the Scalia replacement nomination goes quicker than expected and is confirmed, whether Ginsburg (in poor health, and having lost her husband a few years back and now her dear friend on the Court) may be thinking of retiring now under Obama. In fact, if she announced soon, I think there would be a lot of pressure to fill her slot now which becomes hard to argue against with two vacancies.

I think she is not going to retire. I also think the democrats would have liked her to retire before Obama leaves office. but I feel she doesn't want to retire and will die in office.

the 2014 election screw up the democrats plans. once they lost the senate it made confirming a far left progressive impossible. this may be another reason she is holding on.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I think she is not going to retire. I also think the democrats would have liked her to retire before Obama leaves office. but I feel she doesn't want to retire and will die in office.

the 2014 election screw up the democrats plans. once they lost the senate it made confirming a far left progressive impossible. this may be another reason she is holding on.

Grief stricken people often times die earlier than normal.

A pillow over the face works wonders for soaking up all the tears...

Mr H

Banana'd
    Obama will offer up the MOST polarizing nomination to replace Scalia.

A Black, Hispanic, LBGT, Woman who worships the religion of peace ... to insure that the DemocRATS will use her confirmation refusal to initiate 'fundamental change' in the make-up of Congress during the 2016 election.

As Rush would say ... "Don't Doubt Me !!!"

Funny thing...

There are already protests and slick signage out in front of One First.

The organization behind them is "People for the American Way" www.pfaw.org

I just did a little cursory poking around, and man is it interesting.

Primarily, they are run by a truckload of LGBT activists, but one of their Senior Fellows is none other than our good friend Sen. Jamie Raskin...:sad20:

His bio from the site...
    (emphasis mine)

Jamie Raskin
    Senior Fellow

Senior Fellow Jamie Raskin writes and speaks on issues related to the Constitution and the courts, and helps to advise PFAW and PFAW Foundation's work on behalf of constitutional justice, freedom and political democracy. Jamie is a professor of constitutional law at American University's Washington College of Law (WCL) and a State Senator in Maryland where he is Majority Whip of the Senate. He has written dozens of essays and law review articles and several books, including the 2003 Washington Post bestseller Overruling Democracy: The Supreme Court versus the American People, an analysis of conservative judicial activism and its corrosive effect on political democracy, and We the Students, which analyzes Supreme Court decisions affecting America's students. He has appeared on national television outlets including The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell, The Ed Show, and Hannity, and is a regular contributor to The Nation and The Huffington Post. He is a magna *** laude graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Law School, where he was an editor of the Harvard Law Review.

Attachments

• pfaw.jpg
      pfaw.jpg
      48.4 KB · Views: 156

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom