• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Playing with colors, this is a green base, with purple swirled in.

Attachments

• 20170721_140235.jpg
      20170721_140235.jpg
      109.1 KB · Views: 566

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    AR15mold.com,
    I bought their kit, and the full color assortment. You can mix colors in for a complete solid color, they give suggestions how to result in different colors, (they have a FDE recipe) this I didn't fully blend the green, to get different shades, then added purple, swirled it, poured it into the mold. Have a RAVENS in the mold now, purple, with black and yellow swirls, gonna bust it out in 20mins or so, even thinking of doing an orange and black for the baseball birds.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    How do these hold up to being shot?

There was an issue early on with cracking by the rear takedown pin, they now include a stainless brace, that connects the buffer tube, with the take down pin, and pistol grip. Previous to the brace, a guy hung 50+ lbs on the buffer tube before it broke. Haven't seen a test since the brace.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I still think this a cool idea. I mean once you have the mold im guessing you could easily make as many as you want.

From an esthetic standpoint you should consider sanding down some of the mold machining marks and then cerakote the thing. It would probably look pretty good.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Hey BTW haven seen you at AGC in a while are you still a member there? I may be up tomorrow or Sunday morning.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I still think this a cool idea. I mean once you have the mold im guessing you could easily make as many as you want.

From an esthetic standpoint you should consider sanding down some of the mold machining marks and then cerakote the thing. It would probably look pretty good.

"Fresh out of the mold" refers to the fact I haven't cleaned them up. Why cerakote what I tried to obtain by coloring? Can you even cerakote polymers?
    Just been crazy, still member at AGC, hope to get out a lot next week.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    "Fresh out of the mold" refers to the fact I haven't cleaned them up. Why cerakote what I tried to obtain by coloring? Can you even cerakote polymers?
    Just been crazy, still member at AGC, hope to get out a lot next week.
    Yes, you can, but... I agree, why... lol

Nice work! :thumbsup:

Love to see one after you get it 'cleaned up' a bit.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    how did your lowers come out with no bubbles? What technique did you use? Did you have to bend the reinforcement plates yourself or did they come prebent? Or did you scrap the reinforcement pieces all together? How many did you make before those two came out looking decent?

I've been toying with the idea for no other reason then, "Cuz I can" but it seems a lot of people are having issues with properly bending the reinforcement plates and with bubbles. I LOVED the below posted thread but like the idea of the kit you bought being everything one needs shipped to my door lol

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/67...of-ARs-cheaper--faster--gentler-.html&page=16

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    They now prebend the reinforcements most of the way, mine are not, I learned, don't rush. It is not that hard to do. The thread you linked they must NOT be following instructions. The instructions are VERY clear, and specific. I end up with about 1/4" of left over product. You have 90 sec to mix, 4 mins to pour, they say pour 1/3, work through mold, and repeat, I also tap mold with screwdriver to work bubbles out. I don't know why they have such issues. My trigger picket plug is VERY difficult to remove, I sent mold back so they can look at it.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    They now prebend the reinforcements most of the way, mine are not, I learned, don't rush. It is not that hard to do. The thread you linked they must NOT be following instructions. The instructions are VERY clear, and specific. I end up with about 1/4" of left over product. You have 90 sec to mix, 4 mins to pour, they say pour 1/3, work through mold, and repeat, I also tap mold with screwdriver to work bubbles out. I don't know why they have such issues. My trigger picket plug is VERY difficult to remove, I sent mold back so they can look at it.

thank you. One of the guys said he took a sander with no pad to shake the mold of bubbles. Yours looked pretty good so I figured id ask what technique you used. I'm really debating this. I honestly don't need anymore AR stuff but it's kind of a cool project. I also appreciate the info on that they are pre-bent now. That was my biggest apprehension of the whole thing. Lots of people have said that they didn't bend it properly and the reinforcement was showing through the resin.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    thank you. One of the guys said he took a sander with no pad to shake the mold of bubbles. Yours looked pretty good so I figured id ask what technique you used. I'm really debating this. I honestly don't need anymore AR stuff but it's kind of a cool project. I also appreciate the info on that they are pre-bent now. That was my biggest apprehension of the whole thing. Lots of people have said that they didn't bend it properly and the reinforcement was showing through the resin.
    I have heard of the sander trick, PITA if you ask me. They now say grind a small area of the reinforcements, I haven't had an issue yet, but I am a little anal how I do things

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom