• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    OK, her definition of pretty is "Something that looks like a gun.". No ladies colors or any of that stuff. Nothing too small either. I think we are talking old school blued steel here boys. She has shot a 1911 before.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    OK, her definition of pretty is "Something that looks like a gun.". No ladies colors or any of that stuff. Nothing too small either. I think we are talking old school blued steel here boys. She has shot a 1911 before.

Not for concealed carry? Did she like the 1911? Full size ok? How about a 9mm 1911? But i suggest use of a 1911 should req more training if kept cocked/ locked ( some will disagree). Or a DA/SA piece like a sig 226/229 in 9mm. My wife’s experience with a G43 she carried was 50rds at the range and enough. But she would shoot 00s thru my 226. She has long fingers, so you can find same action and similar weight in a sig 225 but its single stack so thinner grip for smaller hands. She is not a fan of 45s,even in full size, steel guns like 1911 and 220 which she has shot. But if this is for carry, its a different plan. Hope she finds what she enjoys shooting. As we know, its a fun sport.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Colt Mustang 380? All the glam a woman can want! If too small then a Colt defender.

Attachments

• 35B8DACC-609F-4545-9F7A-932ABCC6A07B.jpg
      35B8DACC-609F-4545-9F7A-932ABCC6A07B.jpg
      77.2 KB · Views: 183

tbmcdermott1

Mar 26, 2018
    Baltimore
    I bought my wife the Bersa BP9CC. It's a single stack 8+1 9mm comes in Turquoise Duotone finish. It's thin at 0.94" wide so it's good for smaller hands. Crisp trigger pull in the 3lb range with a short reset not spongy. Best thing it's cheap upper $200's to lower $300's

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    She definitely ruled out the "girly" looking guns. She kind of liked the look of the 9mm Kimber Saphire Ultra II but, was worried it might be too small. That leads me to think something about the size of a Colt Commander. I will have to take her to a few shops for her to get a better idea of what size handgun she prefers, once I know her capabilities.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    I wear a size 7 glove, and a size 8 ring, for an idea of my hand size. I'm also short and thin. I would guess if she wants to do target and self defense, she's going to need more than one gun. My personal target pistols I love are my S&W Victory and a Ruger Single Six. Neither are defense guns, but the Victory can be very customized. I also have a Ruger SR22 that feels great but isn't overly accurate. I also love hubby's Ruger 1911 in 9. I can't remember the model, but it has nice sights. As far as full sized pistol rounds, 9mm is my choice. I just bought a Canik Elite Combat and I love that gun. Even more recently I bought a P320 X5 and it feels phenomenal, even with the full sized grip. It doesn't have a ton of muzzle flip, the Canik has a decent bit. I find both to be very attractive, especially since the X5 has a stainless slide. Of course, the Glock 19 is a classic favorite. Unfortunately mine is a bit ill at the moment and I've been too busy buying her sisters to have her properly diagnosed.

Good luck in your search!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    She definitely ruled out the "girly" looking guns. She kind of liked the look of the 9mm Kimber Saphire Ultra II but, was worried it might be too small. That leads me to think something about the size of a Colt Commander. I will have to take her to a few shops for her to get a better idea of what size handgun she prefers, once I know her capabilities.

Now...you do know how this place works...regardless of what you say, every couple of months somebody's going to come along and post pictures of a pink gun, thinking they are being helpful:rolleyes: long after she's made her purchase...

I wear a size 7 glove, and a size 8 ring, for an idea of my hand size. I'm also short and thin. I would guess if she wants to do target and self defense, she's going to need more than one gun. My personal target pistols I love are my S&W Victory and a Ruger Single Six. Neither are defense guns, but the Victory can be very customized. I also have a Ruger SR22 that feels great but isn't overly accurate. I also love hubby's Ruger 1911 in 9. I can't remember the model, but it has nice sights. As far as full sized pistol rounds, 9mm is my choice. I just bought a Canik Elite Combat and I love that gun. Even more recently I bought a P320 X5 and it feels phenomenal, even with the full sized grip. It doesn't have a ton of muzzle flip, the Canik has a decent bit. I find both to be very attractive, especially since the X5 has a stainless slide. Of course, the Glock 19 is a classic favorite. Unfortunately mine is a bit ill at the moment and I've been too busy buying her sisters to have her properly diagnosed.

You'll never remember the model like that...:tap: since it's a Colt Competition Pistol :secret:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

I remember you from Annapolis! Excellent response. I am surprised you mention the Ruger Single Six, one of my all time favorites. I am definitely going to give her a dose of old school Ruger Single Six, since I have a number of early versions in my collection. Cut my teeth shooting an old 3 screw Single Six with 5 1/2" barrel. I have one made the year I was born, courtesy of my late buddy GoodGuy176! The other guns you suggest will be looked at too. I think a 9mm is high on the list of calibers due to the low cost and plentiful supply of ammo available. I certainly would like to find a dealer with a new Colt Combat Commander in stock for her to examine. Thinking about buying one for myself even if she doesn't care for one, (though she did gravitate toward the 1911 platform when she looked at the pics we showed her), especially if Novak night sights are an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom