• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    about 500ft going off a recently drawn survey plat. there are lots of trees between his house and my shooting bench, he states he can see my barrel from his porch. I understand it is probably loud, but what do you expect living next to a farm

What do you think the effect would be of putting a nice 5' or 6' tall pile of dirt close to your bench (on the side in their direction) to reduce the amount of sound going that way? Or, do you just think it's the knowledge that said activity is being enjoyed that's bugging them the most? Do you commonly hear other gun fire in your area?

Frickn Yahoo

May 19, 2018
    More info...

I had a visit from 2 sheriffs deputies yesterday due to a call about a different neighbor shooting in his yard, not me. They were just trying to find out who was shooting, both very nice. They asked if i shoot on my property and i told them yes. all they wanted to know was if i was 150yards away with good backstop. I even offered to show them my range which they were not interested. They asked for my phone number which they described how they would "attach" it to my address. They said if the sheriff office ever gets a call for shooting on my road they will call me before sending a deputy out....... I have no idea what all that means or what will happen with that. possibly has something to due with the new 2a Sanc. not sure...

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I agree with cow crap and my dad was know for you got a problem I will just bring more cars around so as a side thought maybe if you would like put a few posts in the ground and a 6’-8’ privacy fence one to deflect some noise then buy a Harley and every Saturday morning start it up at 6 am and give it a good couple revs to make sure the oil has moved around the motor.

Frickn Yahoo

May 19, 2018
    What do you think the effect would be of putting a nice 5' or 6' tall pile of dirt close to your bench (on the side in their direction) to reduce the amount of sound going that way? Or, do you just think it's the knowledge that said activity is being enjoyed that's bugging them the most? Do you commonly hear other gun fire in your area?

That is a possible option. i mentioned to said neighbor about ME installing fence or trees in his direction to reduce noise. his reply was "not gonna help" so im thinking he's a anti gunner. and yes gunfire is a normal in my area. if anything it sounds more frequent with all this virus hype

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Since the AGC is closed I’m sure you could rent space on your range these days. I know guys that have MGs. I’m sure your neighbor would love if they showed up with a 50 or MG42.

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    Since the AGC is closed I’m sure you could rent space on your range these days. I know guys that have MGs. I’m sure your neighbor would love if they showed up with a 50 or MG42.

If fact I live in northern Calvert and a guy I know a few streets away has a MG42 and a M2 50

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    .... as a side thought maybe if you would like put a few posts in the ground and a 6’-8’ privacy fence one to deflect some noise ...

Your neighbor sounds like an *******

Def sounds like an ******* but, no matter what direction he decides to take it - or how far - Anything and Everything you do that appears you’re trying / you tried to be “the reasonable one” is gonna win everyone who looks at the situation over to your corner.

I used to care take a small farm in So AA Co and the family and I shot there for decades, NOOOOO problems, zero, ever. Enter some anti-gunners (from the U.K. no less) who built a house easily 1/2 a mile a way and started complaining after they moved in. Not while they were building but, after they moved in (wound up being relevant as a year later a witness testified this couple commented about the sounds of shooting when they visited the building site with the job foreman after the crews left, on more than one a occasion).

Unfortunately for us, one of this couple had connections in Annapolis and brought them to bear; long story short, we wound up in court. But, that took two years and in the ensuing time we: beefed up the berm; planted Leland Cypress along one side of the range, out about 30 yards from our firing line, put T-111 siding on one side of the framing we installed to erect a cover over the firing AND stacked hay bales in between the Leland cypress saplings (they didn’t do sh*t for 3 or 4 years until they got 5+ feet tall.

We didn’t do all this so much to appease the fvcking anti-gunners but rather because we knew they were gonna be building a lot more houses over their way (a LOT more!) and we figured we could win against a couple of Brits but, didn’t want to take on a whole subdivision.

Here’s the rub: people from the County that kept coming out taking photos of the improvements we made were doing so to try and build a case against us but, when the judge saw the photos, unbeknownst to us, his sentiment was obviously swayed toward who had been the most reasonable during the escalation of this whole thing to his docket and we got what amounted to a Summary Judgement. Best part was, my employers, the not-so-well-to-do property owners, got reimbursed for their legal fees as the judge “saw through” certain AA County officials “taking sides” in this whole thing (after the couple didn’t get their way sending officers from the AA Co Southern District police, about a half dozen times (at least).

That was all the way back in the early- to mid-eighties but, I’ve seen the whole “who has been the most reasonable in this thing coming to a head?” question play out time and time again, since.

If you do decide to make any improvements to your range (nothing like being able to shoot on your own property, I envy you!) maybe you can kill two birds with one stone and point those improvements out to any future visiting deputies as attempts to lessen any impact on those neighbors, ie, “Geez man, I’ve done this and this, those people sure seem UNreasonable!

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I'd also put up a gate if possible. Keeps anyone from driving onto your land.

Frickn Yahoo

May 19, 2018
    Def sounds like an ******* but, no matter what direction he decides to take it - or how far - Anything and Everything you do that appears you’re trying / you tried to be “the reasonable one” is gonna win everyone who looks at the situation over to your corner.

I used to care take a small farm in So AA Co and the family and I shot there for decades, NOOOOO problems, zero, ever. Enter some anti-gunners (from the U.K. no less) who built a house easily 1/2 a mile a way and started complaining after they moved in. Not while they were building but, after they moved in (wound up being relevant as a year later a witness testified this couple commented about the sounds of shooting when they visited the building site with the job foreman after the crews left, on more than one a occasion).

Unfortunately for us, one of this couple had connections in Annapolis and brought them to bear; long story short, we wound up in court. But, that took two years and in the ensuing time we: beefed up the berm; planted Leland Cypress along one side of the range, out about 30 yards from our firing line, put T-111 siding on one side of the framing we installed to erect a cover over the firing AND stacked hay bales in between the Leland cypress saplings (they didn’t do sh*t for 3 or 4 years until they got 5+ feet tall.

We didn’t do all this so much to appease the fvcking anti-gunners but rather because we knew they were gonna be building a lot more houses over their way (a LOT more!) and we figured we could win against a couple of Brits but, didn’t want to take on a whole subdivision.

Here’s the rub: people from the County that kept coming out taking photos of the improvements we made were doing so to try and build a case against us but, when the judge saw the photos, unbeknownst to us, his sentiment was obviously swayed toward who had been the most reasonable during the escalation of this whole thing to his docket and we got what amounted to a Summary Judgement. Best part was, my employers, the not-so-well-to-do property owners, got reimbursed for their legal fees as the judge “saw through” certain AA County officials “taking sides” in this whole thing (after the couple didn’t get their way sending officers from the AA Co Southern District police, about a half dozen times (at least).

That was all the way back in the early- to mid-eighties but, I’ve seen the whole “who has been the most reasonable in this thing coming to a head?” question play out time and time again, since.

If you do decide to make any improvements to your range (nothing like being able to shoot on your own property, I envy you!) maybe you can kill two birds with one stone and point those improvements out to any future visiting deputies as attempts to lessen any impact on those neighbors, ie, “Geez man, I’ve done this and this, those people sure seem UNreasonable!

appreciate you sharing that. I think im gonna lighten up on how often i shoot, during that down time, ill look into some improvements i can make :thumbsup:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Man, I feel for ya.

We moved 450 miles away and landed in WNC only to find a handful of anti-gunners moved here from NY L.I. area and started their bs up after they’d settled in several years.

We succeeded (bigly!) in shutting them down but my blood boils thinking about their intent to spread their bs ...

no denying it though - an occasional mag dump off the back deck does help with my blood pressure (he-he!)

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    A strip club owner got divorced and bought the property next to his ex-wife and erected a giant middle finger statue facing her property and put spot lights on it. Start with something like that to show them your intentions. Logs would work just fine. Then increment your signals to them. Maybe start a chicken coop on that field. Nothing says I love you like a bunch of crowing chickens and their manure. Pigs are also great way to say I love you. Just make sure none of them are anywhere near your domicile.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I’m in northern Carroll County, my range is set-up to shoot out of my barn. Makes it noisier for me, but I have yet to get a complaint from my neighbors. I try to limit how often I shoot my large caliber rifles for now, I have a suppressor in jail (now at 180 days) because I do want to be a good neighbor and I love having the ability to shoot on my own land. Best of luck with your unfortunate situation.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    A strip club owner got divorced and bought the property next to his ex-wife and erected a giant middle finger statue facing her property and put spot lights on it. Start with something like that to show them your intentions. Logs would work just fine. Then increment your signals to them. Maybe start a chicken coop on that field. Nothing says I love you like a bunch of crowing chickens and their manure. Pigs are also great way to say I love you. Just make sure none of them are anywhere near your domicile.

Great place to raise all the roosters he can find.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Some ranges have structures built that moderate the sound from a gun.

One type is made from several old car tires stacked on end. It is basically a large suppressor. The sidewalls serve as baffles and the whole structure is not readily moveable. They are not subject to the NFA as they aren’t portable.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    One of our local clubs is built on specially deeded land that is near a national park. There is the tourist road that runs between the houses on the N side of the road.

To renew its license, our club was required to have a sound study done. Interesting findings.

The residents in the hood complain about the shooting.

The sound study showed the noise level at the houses was pretty high. BUT!!! And there always one...

The noise was the tourists’ cars driving from town to the NP. Not the guns. Go figure.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Now THERE is an idea - not sure how much a sound study runs but, you could do it from as close to those neighbors as you can legally get and no one ever need to know the results - unless they’re in your favor ...

Anyone on the board know how one goes about obtaining an “admissible” sound study?

(I am thinking I may keep this card up my sleeve for our piece of sh*t Long Island transplant anti-gunners ... man, I’d LOVE to shove a sound study down their throats!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom