Transfer of Milsurp bolt action rifle require and FFL?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Hello All,

Does a purchase of a Milsurp bolt action rifle require a C&R or an FFL?

I was about to purchase a Milsurp bolt gun from another Maryland resident. The other person asked if I was a C&R dealer? I said no I was not.

Has anything changed about a individual to individual purchase of a bolt action rifle? Does it require a C&R or FFL?

Thx

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    If you are both Maryland residents and are not prohibited, its a cash and carry deal. If I'm buying, I ask to see a Md D/L and ask if the seller is OK. If he says yes, I'm good to go. If he wants to go as far as a bill of sale or receipt I'm OK with that.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Fed law requires the transferor not to transfer the rifle if the transferor is aware you are a prohibited person under federal law. I suspect there is something in the state law that is similar. If your brother-in law is a felon and you visted him in prison, transferring a gun to him will have him visiting you in prison.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    If either party is an 03FFL holder it’s has to be logged in their bound book. If it is going to another 03 holder, the license info is recorded. If not, their drivers license is recorded.

In short, it doesn’t matter from a can sell or can’t sell, only what info is recorded for the sale.

Of course this only applies to C&R firearms but it applies whether the 03FFL is used for the purchase or not.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If either party is an 03FFL holder it’s has to be logged in their bound book. If it is going to another 03 holder, the license info is recorded. If not, their drivers license is recorded.

In short, it doesn’t matter from a can sell or can’t sell, only what info is recorded for the sale.

Of course this only applies to C&R firearms but it applies whether the 03FFL is used for the purchase or not.

This. Unless there was more to that, he might have just been asking so he’s remember to get a copy of your FFL for his bound book. If you aren’t an FFL (03, or 01 or any other flavor of FFL) then if he is an 03 he needs a copy of your DL and/or your name and address for his bound book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom