• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    They are only in pre-order right now. They were supposed to be released and available by now but because of the virus that's kind of in limbo. It looks like it will be a great alternative to the poly 80 but we won't know until we try them. I may get two, one in black and one in FDE.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    They are only in pre-order right now. They were supposed to be released and available by now but because of the virus that's kind of in limbo. It looks like it will be a great alternative to the poly 80 but we won't know until we try them. I may get two, one in black and one in FDE.

Is there something about the design that makes them different? They talk about rails and something being longer? Ive never owned or even shot a glock, but seeing how this is a pandemic and all... Is the barrel any better? Is the wraith just the charging grooves?

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    They come with a grip piece allowing the shorter 19-style grip or the longer 17-style grip.

As for the finer points, we're waiting.

tony7815

Feb 11, 2016
    I have done 3 Polymer 80 lowers and rather than use the large bit provided to hog out the FCG well I use a 5/8" Forstner bit. It bores a flat bottom hole and doesn't wander when overlapping. The 0.625" diameter is smaller than the final width dimension.

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    I have heard this harbor freight kit makes removing the web and cleaning up the recoil spring channel a breeze.

Attachments

• IMG_20180223_195037993.jpg
      IMG_20180223_195037993.jpg
      105.1 KB · Views: 265

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Lining up the slide rails with the pin holes.

Use the slide to push on the slide rails when lining up the pin holes.

Push a punch (from your harbor freight punch set) through the holes to line up the assembly and hold it in place.
    - Lay the frame on its side on the snapped together jig with the punch going through jig trigger hole.
    While holding the frame, jig, and punch in one hand, hammer the pin in from the other side of the frame - driving the punch out into your hand. Rest the frame and jig on the edge of your bench when doing this.

(Posting for a friend.)

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    The recommendation against the drill press always confused me. I know they don't want you to drill all the way through to the other side but just cause you have a drill press, does not mean you can't control that.
    I expect they don't want you to use a drill press cause with a hand drill you can feel it break through the side easier.

They give you a milling bit which you dont even need unless you had a drill press and an xy vise or xy table. Dremmel is still easier.

They recommend against the drill press because of the orientation of the jig in the vice.

Having it flat/horizontal and squeezing it from top to bottom in the vice will move the jig holes slightly.

With hand drill and the jig vertical in a bench vice squeezes the jig front to back and doesn’t move the jig holes

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They recommend against the drill press because of the orientation of the jig in the vice.

Having it flat/horizontal and squeezing it from top to bottom in the vice will move the jig holes slightly.

With hand drill and the jig vertical in a bench vice squeezes the jig front to back and doesn’t move the jig holes

I've never found a need to use a vice on the drill press. I slowly lower the rotating bit down to the hole, letting it find its own center, then bore the hole. I repeat these steps on the other side. Then, using a cordless drill, I manually drill all the way across frame while still in the jig, to make sure the pin holes are true to each other.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    There is another thread that squaregrouper started. Read that.
    watch ALL the marinegunbuilder youtube videos on the P80 kits.
    Lots of potential pitfalls and you really need to see the videos BEFORE you run into one.

I have to watch those videos at double speed. He talks a lot before he gets anywhere.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Today's the last day for 80% Arms GST-9 pre-order sale. Frame and jig for $100 +S&H

I took the plunge...

https://www.80percentarms.com/

I’m concerned about the longer rails and nickel coating on them. Seems like the biggest hang up on the p80 builds is issues with the rails. Having more rail and a coating that while slick could vary in thickness and cause the tolerances to be too tight sounds like a pita to me. I bet most people end up having to polish off the nickel finish to get it loose enough to be reliable.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I’m concerned about the longer rails and nickel coating on them. Seems like the biggest hang up on the p80 builds is issues with the rails. Having more rail and a coating that while slick could vary in thickness and cause the tolerances to be too tight sounds like a pita to me. I bet most people end up having to polish off the nickel finish to get it loose enough to be reliable.

I'll defer my opinion until I have it in my hand. It should be easy enough to tell before ever touching a tool to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom