• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Do this, and don't tell anybody what you have.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

The 1 inch thick boxes are a good idea in general.

If anybody asks, tell them you are following the guidelines of the National Fire Protection Agency, which is based on rigorous industry testing.
    Ok, dumb question. Why a wooden box/cabinet? Cut back on shrapnel?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    My main question has been answered. It was basically, 1) do companies report to state agencies individuals purchasing gunpowder and

§ 11-112. Records and reports of manufacturers and dealers.(a) Records.-(1) Each manufacturer and each dealer shall keep, for all explosives shipped, purchased, or sold, a record that includes: (i) the name and address of each consignee, buyer, or seller of the explosives; (ii) the date of each shipment, purchase, or sale; and (iii) the amount and description of the explosives. (2) Each record kept under this subsection shall at all times be open for inspection by agents of the licensing authority and by federal, State, and local law enforcement officers. (3) (i) Subject to subparagraph (ii) of this paragraph, each manufacturer and each dealer shall provide a copy of each record kept under this subsection to the State Fire Marshal in the form that the State Fire Marshal requires. (ii) A record kept under this subsection shall be provided on request, but need not be filed more than once in each calendar month. (b) Reports to licensing authorities.-(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, each manufacturer shall file with the licensing authority of each state, other than this State, to which explosives have been shipped by the manufacturer, a report that includes: (i) the name of each buyer to whom explosives have been shipped in that state; and (ii) the amount and description of the explosives. (2) A report required under paragraph (1) of this subsection shall be filed on request, but need not be filed more than once in each calendar month. (3) In like manner, each manufacturer shall file with the State Fire Marshal a report that includes: (i) the name of each buyer of explosives in this State; and (ii) the amount and description of the explosives.

2) how much can a person have in the home. I’m trying to understand the ramifications of responsibility maintaining consumables for reloading.

d) Same -Possession of explosives for use in firearms.-(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms. (2)A person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools, other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use. (3) Notwithstanding paragraph (2) of this subsection, the State Fire Marshal may issue a permit to allow temporary possession of explosives for use in firearms in a building or structure open for public use.

Last edited:

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Sort of. If you read anything about constructing a powder magazine, you want to make it weak so it goes woosh instead of bang.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Sure, that'd be one thing. I am no expert, these are just my thoughts...

It wouldn't make much of a pressure vessel (not a bomb). Believe it or not, solid hard wood is actually fire resistant. Some are very fire resistant. Couple all that with the fact that's it's a common building material that most people can obtain and use. So it achieves some safety goals, while requiring no engineering on the average person's side of things.

Build a 1" thick box. Put some powder inside it. Set the box on fire. See how long it takes to burn through and light the fire. I bet it would take a decent amount of time.

I guess the other consideration is that the room where the box is located may reach extreme temperatures, so the directly setting the box on fire might be a representative test of what may happen. Is it an okay insulator?

You're not necessarily trying to prevent the powder from ever catching in the event of a house-fire. You're trying to buy some time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

An old small refrigerator, think cooler size, is perfect. It's almost impervious to flash/flame, and if it would blow, the door swings open to any internal pressure that may occur. No bomb.
    Personally, I prefer open storage.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Do this, and don't tell anybody what you have.

10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

The 1 inch thick boxes are a good idea in general.

If anybody asks, tell them you are following the guidelines of the National Fire Protection Agency, which is based on rigorous industry testing.

It is the National Fire Protection Association.

The wooden box provides two beneficial quantities. It is somewhat fire resistive and it does not hold pressure well. A solid core door has a fire resistance rating of 20 min. The burning rates of smokeless powder are much lower at atmospheric pressure compared to elevated pressures.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If they would view one of the many training videos on the subject, they would actually see that smokeless powder doesn't cook off, it burns. As for rounds that cook off, in EOD training we did .50cal, 20mm and 40mm and the projectile stayed nearly in the same place while the case ruptured. I believe that SAAMI made some videos to the same effect.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Not to go off on a tangent but, you can store 5 one pound cans of smokeless powder. You reload a bunch over the weekend and now you have 5 half full cans of powder, you actually have about 2 1/2 pounds of powder. You go and buy 2 more cans so you have 4 1/2 pounds of powder in 7 one pound cans.

Are you OK since you actually have less than 5 pounds? or are you in violation since you have 7 one pound cans??

I think I remember reading about this scenario but don't remember the out come??

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Not to go off on a tangent but, you can store 5 one pound cans of smokeless powder. You reload a bunch over the weekend and now you have 5 half full cans of powder, you actually have about 2 1/2 pounds of powder. You go and buy 2 more cans so you have 4 1/2 pounds of powder in 7 one pound cans.

Are you OK since you actually have less than 5 pounds? or are you in violation since you have 7 one pound cans??

I think I remember reading about this scenario but don't remember the out come??

Are you in possession of greater than 5 pounds of smokeless powder and 5 pounds of black powder? No.

Is the powder stored in the original containers? Yes.

The code doesn't say anything about how many containers.

IANANAL (I am not anal).

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    And since it is a personal limit not a dwelling limit if your wife reloads she can have 5 pounds also. Be sure to mark them HIS and HERS.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    They say the 5lb limit is a fire marshal thing.

There are some old discussions in the archives about this. One of the most creative I think was NovusCollectus (RIP buddy) and his idea to "reload" empty .50BMG cases with powder and then seal them shut to keep out the humidity. That would satisfy the letter of the law but not the spirit -

Hmmm, next time I see a tank round casing at a show,, Im grabbing it!

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Hmmm, next time I see a tank round casing at a show,, Im grabbing it!

I am not sure that meets the letter of the law. Both the MD law and the other exemptions require storage in the original container. If you are not using the original container then the exemptions do not apply and MD would require a license for any amount stored

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I am not sure that meets the letter of the law. Both the MD law and the other exemptions require storage in the original container. If you are not using the original container then the exemptions do not apply and MD would require a license for any amount stored

I believe the idea is to make it into fixed ammo which is not covered by the storage requirement. You are correct that dumping it into a spent casing alone will not.

There are probably a lot of deactivated cases with projectiles. Good luck finding a primer if that's spent.

(3) "Explosives" does not include fixed ammunition for small arms, small arms ammunition primers, small arms percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, friction primers, fireworks, or common matches when used in their original configuration.

IANANAL

2A Maryland

Dec 7, 2016
    Towson, MD
    MARYLAND LAW - PUBLIC SAFETY ARTICLE - TITLE 11 - EXPLOSIVES

Smokeless powder & black powder are regulated by the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal which is turn is under the Maryland State Police.

In Maryland, dealers are required to keep a record of all sales. I don't know what the dealer will do if you attempt to purchase over 5 pounds at a time. However, having a written record of the purchase would be damning evidence should either you or the dealer come under scrutiny.

If you live in a dorm or apartment, etc., be sure to read §11-115.

You can download the text which is included as a part of 2A Maryland's Maryland Gun Law compilation on 2A Maryland's website.

Maryland Gun Laws – MLIS – 2019

Look in table of contents for:MARYLAND LAW - PUBLIC SAFETY ARTICLE - TITLE 11 - EXPLOSIVES

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I watched a guy buy power at Atlantic Guns and they had a log book they recorded the sale in , Said they had to show were it went , I never bought any from them because of that I just waited till there was a gun show in VA. or called the small shop close to my home here in Tennessee and let them know when I would be home on a long weekend and get it from them and it would be Keg size .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom