• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • u911

Aug 9, 2013
    Rage

I’ve had spectacular results with the Rage line, though I admit it doesn’t build your tracking skills much following a blood trail that’s so wide and short.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    I have used Rage mostly with great results. I currently have a fixed broad head I want to try this season.

marcwells

Aug 7, 2022
    United States
    I have used G5 Montecs, Trocar and currently running through my supply of Rage knockoffs. I really like the montec as long as it passthrough trough and doesn't hit a rock they sharpen right back up to use again.

I bought some G5 clones and have to test them first.

As they stated don't assume broadheads will fly true without testing them. I tried CE pile drives and the spine was way too low for my crossbow and the arrows planed badly with broadheads. Changed to a stiffer arrows and it tightened my flight up Top-Rated Broadheads for Crossbow Hunters
    I kind of understand what can and cannot be used for hunting. No, no I don't. I want either Rage or Muzzy. Not sure I understand what is said by DEC in regards to illegal heads. Help me out if you please. Best if you can tell me EXACTLY what to buy. Thanks

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    In Maryland the only type of arrow head allowed for big game are broadheads fixed or mechanical. The broadhead must be a minimum 7/8ths of an inch wide. There is no maximum size.

Anything outside of those parameters would be illegal.

If you go on Amazon, you can buy a pack of 12 rage knock off arrow heads cheaper than what you would pay for a pack of 3 from Rage.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    You can use what ever you like. I lost a doe on one of those rage nock offs and stopped using them. I think it did not deploy well enough and she ran farther then expected and did not bleed good enough to be tracked. The metal on the knock offs chipped and dinked up just shooting them into mulch and would not re-sharpen.

I have since switched to the Muzzy HBX and they are tough as nails. It has to fixed blades and two expandable blades. Shot one though a doe and stuck it 12" on the ground. Sharpened it back up and spined an 8 point. The spine just barely bent one of the expandable blades. Two dead deer and it is still able to shoot and kill a deer.

If DEC is Delaware I think the BH requirements are the same from what google showed me.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Fixed I prefer Montec G5, thinking of going to Rage Hypodermic mechanical for the crossbow. Have not heard anything good regarding the cheap online available BH’s. Your dime and time applies.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Shwackers are F'ing deadly and they fly almost exactly the same as field points in tests.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Fixed I prefer Montec G5, thinking of going to Rage Hypodermic mechanical for the crossbow. Have not heard anything good regarding the cheap online available BH’s. Your dime and time applies.
    The cheap online broadheads I have used have all worked just fine ---it just pains me to use a $15 broadhead and get one use out of it---I think some of them just come out the backdoor of the same factories in China

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The cheap online broadheads I have used have all worked just fine ---it just pains me to use a $15 broadhead and get one use out of it---I think some of them just come out the backdoor of the same factories in China
    I've stayed with the Muzzy HBX as it is tough as nail. Shot one into mulch for flight testing, then through a doe into the ground, then spined a buck and just slightly bent one expanding blade. It is still useable. Just over 10 each and resharpen after use. .

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    +1 on this.

I been variably using fixed blade 100gr and 125gr Montec G5s over the last few years. Have absolutely no complaints on performance. Clean pass through every time.
    Every deer I shot with my xbow was with a G5 and bled profusely. Double lung every time. I found them pretty rugged. I think I reused one 4 times before it went through and hit a tree stump.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Every deer I shot with my xbow was with a G5 and bled profusely. Double lung every time. I found them pretty rugged. I think I reused one 4 times before it went through and hit a tree stump.
    Interestingly enough, last year I switched over to G5 Megameats (mechanicals). They were ridiculously more devastating than the G5 Montecs, which is not surprising given the 2" deployed diameter, but they're a good bit less durable (not likely getting 4 shots on one). Blood trails were heavier and the tracking was a lot shorter compared to comparable shots.

Damn, I can feel the annual fever getting closer.

QA Buck.jpg

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I've had no problem using Rage. If you catch them on sale, the 3 packs are as low as $20-25.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've had no problem using Rage. If you catch them on sale, the 3 packs are as low as $20-25.
    I had a bad season and a half with the original Rages, including two really nice bucks. The shots were good shots too. The only deer I recovered was a doe that I spined.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I had a bad season and a half with the original Rages, including two really nice bucks. The shots were good shots too. The only deer I recovered was a doe that I spined.
    I should clarify, I use the rage extremes, with the little blade on the tip. And use the crossbow collar.

I also take them apart and clean everything after a shot, and replace the blades if they're bent. I've shot about 10-12 deer with these, no issues with any.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I should clarify, I use the rage extremes, with the little blade on the tip. And use the crossbow collar.

I also take them apart and clean everything after a shot, and replace the blades if they're bent. I've shot about 10-12 deer with these, no issues with any.
    I know they've been improved since those early days and are fine now. I'll never be able to trust them though, and I love Shwackers. Almost every deer I've shot with them has died within my eye-sight. A true testament to their lethality.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I kind of understand what can and cannot be used for hunting. No, no I don't. I want either Rage or Muzzy. Not sure I understand what is said by DEC in regards to illegal heads. Help me out if you please. Best if you can tell me EXACTLY what to buy. Thanks

What state are you in? I'm assuming it's not Maryland, based on the bolded.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It would help to know what exactly DEC is, and then what they said. :shrug:

Shoreglide

Jan 7, 2023
    The Beach
    Any broadhead will kill a deer with good shot placement.

I prefer to take advantage of the energy provided by my crossbows to push a 4 blade large cut broadhead. Switched from Rage Trypan to SWAT MOAB last year, with stellar results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom