• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Been waiting to post this one.

So I successfully won a FOIA argument with the US Army thanks for a good friend who's familiar with the law, FOIAs and the Army.

The US Army still has a collection of records of firearms sold/repaired through the DCM from 1920-1940. These are all preWWII sales and repairs. They initially refused the request citing invasion of privacy. Which, was funny because some of these sales are reaching 100 year anniversary.

But this rifle was sale was filed by Husband Kimmel while he was Commanding Officer of the USS New York. It was anchored in Guantanamo Bay late May 1934 before sailing to New York Harbor. June 14th he transferred Command to JS Abbott and Kimmel took a promotion to Chief of Staff, to Commander Battleships Battleship Force. JS Abbott was a professor at the Army War College prior to taking Command. The ship then sailed down the coast to central America went through the canal and ended up on the west coast. I looked to see if Abbott went to Cuba on the way, they bypassed the Guantanamo completely upon leaving NY harbor.

I purchased a bunch of stuff relating to the USS NY to help jazz up pictures. I found a flyer on ebay announcing the Navy ships in the harbor where the transfer of Command took place. Donald Duck hat and various pictures of the ship itself.

Next step is going to file some FOIAs on other firearms sold through the DCM, krags, Ross rifles, and and US surcharged Mosins. See what turns up.

1IGzcxHl.jpg

SIugibvl.jpg

Z5W1cfkl.png

JjNQBIAl.jpg

clwm4MEl.jpg

ZRqMtR5l.jpg

NtrV669l.jpg

g6yMWLJl.jpg

sYrpupZl.jpg

Tvxo0TMl.jpg

Jul 1, 2012
    That's pretty dang cool from one end to the other.
    One can only imagine the tons of documents hidden away...

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That is very cool.

But your post is confusing. Did you know it was owned by Kimmel before you made the FOIA request, or was that information a surprise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom