• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptPrice

Jul 14, 2019
    Annapolis
    I am going to move/change my residency to VA, but I will stay in Md every now and then. If my HQL expires, can I still renew it even though I won’t be a Md resident?

Just want to be able to have the ability to have my blaster when I’m staying in MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I am going to move/change my residency to VA, but I will stay in Md every now and then. If my HQL expires, can I still renew it even though I won’t be a Md resident?

Just want to be able to have the ability to have my blaster when I’m staying in MD.

No point. The HQL isn't about "having" the gun, it's about buying the gun. Once you're a Virginia resident, you will no longer be able to purchase guns in MD, so the HQL simply no longer matters.

CaptPrice

Jul 14, 2019
    Annapolis
    No point. The HQL isn't about "having" the gun, it's about buying the gun. Once you're a Virginia resident, you will no longer be able to purchase guns in MD, so the HQL simply no longer matters.

Thanks I was unaware of that disctinction

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I should clarify: once you're a VA resident, you'll no longer be able to walk-up purchase HANDGUNS in Maryland. Only through an FFL transfer to an FFL in Virginia. HQL wouldn't apply in that case, because you're taking possession through that Virginia FFL. The gun can still originate in Maryland, but in practical terms, you're dealing with a Virginia transfer.

Remember: if you're moving the gun back and forth between VA and MD as you come and go, you've got two very different bodies of state law to contend with and need to comply with both when it comes to transport, storage, etc. Keep yourself legally safe!

CaptPrice

Jul 14, 2019
    Annapolis
    I should clarify: once you're a VA resident, you'll no longer be able to walk-up purchase HANDGUNS in Maryland. Only through an FFL transfer to an FFL in Virginia. HQL wouldn't apply in that case, because you're taking possession through that Virginia FFL. The gun can still originate in Maryland, but in practical terms, you're dealing with a Virginia transfer.

Remember: if you're moving the gun back and forth between VA and MD as you come and go, you've got two very different bodies of state law to contend with and need to comply with both when it comes to transport, storage, etc. Keep yourself legally safe!

Yep, for sure! Familiarizing myself as we speak

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom