Leaving Crossbow Cocked... for how long?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't think it is easy with Barnett's safety where trigger works only with bolt in the firing mechanism.

Yes. You do not want to uncock a xbow with a bolt in it.

I guess that is an improvement in xbows I hadn't considered.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Anyone who uses a cocking string to cock their xbows should and can just as easily uncock them using that same string. For the year I had to hunt with a xbow, I never had to uncock by shooting a bolt.

That's how I uncock my Excalibur Vortex. Two pulleys on the cocking string, can easily uncock with one hand. You have to anyway since you have to pull the trigger to release the bow string

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    That's how I uncock my Excalibur Vortex. Two pulleys on the cocking string, can easily uncock with one hand. You have to anyway since you have to pull the trigger to release the bow string

Works for Horton's also after disengaging the ratchet if your crank has one.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Watching the bastards chomping down on my delectable corn treats, mostly small yearlings but one nice size doe that's...... nearly all black!

Anyway.... is 12 hours on 12 hours off OK for cocked/uncocked?

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Watching the bastards chomping down on my delectable corn treats, mostly small yearlings but one nice size doe that's...... nearly all black!

Anyway.... is 12 hours on 12 hours off OK for cocked/uncocked?

I would think that's OK. But why not just uncock it when not actively hunting? From a safety standpoint it's wise to do.

A chronograph will help tell you if your limbs are losing tensile strength over a long period. As long as your string is not moving perceptibly forward on the rail when the bow is uncocked (from string stretch).

CraZ4GunZ

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    I bought a Ten Point Crossbow for my son before he went into the military. We both forgot about it and its been sitting NIB for the last 8 years. Are the strings still good?

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I bought a Ten Point Crossbow for my son before he went into the military. We both forgot about it and its been sitting NIB for the last 8 years. Are the strings still good?

NIB I assume is Not In Battery (cocked)? If the strings are not frayed, and the crossbow has been in a climate controlled space, sure. I don't see why not.

This is my Excalibur Vortex. Sits in the case in this configuration in my office. String is as fine as the years ago I bought it.

IMG-0328.jpg

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I would think that's OK. But why not just uncock it when not actively hunting? From a safety standpoint it's wise to do.

A chronograph will help tell you if your limbs are losing tensile strength over a long period. As long as your string is not moving perceptibly forward on the rail when the bow is uncocked (from string stretch).

Actually it takes me a couple minutes to cock the sob and nock a bolt even with a crank. I'm not nearly as strong as I once was.
    I like your idea of chrony it, I'll do that.

CraZ4GunZ

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    NIB I assume is Not In Battery (cocked)? If the strings are not frayed, and the crossbow has been in a climate controlled space, sure. I don't see why not.

This is my Excalibur Vortex. Sits in the case in this configuration in my office. String is as fine as the years ago I bought it.

IMG-0328.jpg

Thx for your reply. Yeah its still in the original box, climate controlled.

OldTimeyGoodness

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 2, 2020
    If I could add on to the question, I inherited a crossbow 3 years ago. It’s maybe 15 years old. Used to shoot it when I was in highschool. It wasn’t left cocked, but it’s been in storage and carted all around the last 15 years. Is it safe to shoot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom