• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Im also curious as to why this is. Im somewhat in manufacturing and can 'imagine' how it would be done. But I've never seen traditional bullet processes to know how far outside it would be to how its done today. Metal pressing can be amazing to watch. Scuba tanks, for example, are made from a small round disc of metal for no seams or welds. Deep drawing something like a coke can that looks simple but is actually far from, is also neat. A dual tapered bullet seems simple in comparison. But a homogeneous core projectile has to have a more easily controlled center of mass close to its center of volume. Any jacket thickness would have to be very controlled to not affect dynamic (spin) balance.

I'm not sure if it is "you can not make these ogives PERIOD" or "you can not make these ogives at an affordable price." My understanding is that once you start to deal with ogives that are more than ~6x length of the bullet's caliber, traditional bullet swaging because very difficult and costs switch in favor of the CNC machining process. I'm by no means an expert, but have heard several bulletsmiths discuss the issue. Remember we are dealing with very small tolerances here, with 0.0003" or less variation in wall thickness being absolutely critical to long-range precision.

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    I've never even heard of a 375 Cheytac (I've heard of the 408...)

Box of 20 rounds of match grade ammo? $142.

http://www.cheytac.com/datasheets/375 350 Grain SMK Cartridge Spec Data.pdf

That's almost as much as CCI Minimags are going for, these days. :D

Behold the .375 cheytac
    null_zpsd2d37ad9.jpg

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    This is a cheytac .375 for a rail gun that is going for the world record prairie dog shot, and yes they are Maryland boys.

9F1FC279-67AF-4C39-8B68-BB74289A40B1-7115-00000E9027613E2F_zps6b428830.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom