• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy
    Congrats on the new XDm. You're going to love it. I have the 40. I have shot about 2000 rounds with no problems. I didn't know about the trigger package, I've got to get one of those. The over travel has been my only complaint.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Very nice Jer! I've been thinkin about the XDm and was fondling one the other day, make sure ya let us know how she shoots.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I really wanted to sneek out there tonight and shot it. I wish it wasn't so busy at the range.

Sometimes it takes the fun out of working there when I can't go out and shoot the customers new guns!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    i got to shoot it:thumbsup:. seemed to like the 180 gr better than the other weights. we were both surprised by how soft it shot for a 40. also we both shot it about .5 inch to the left at 25 feet but were able to get nice tight groups(1" or less) when we werent throwing brass. it felt almost as comfy as my p99 but holds more rounds and they're 40 and not 9mm...all that stuff u know. after the trigger job to cut the overtravel it should be a sweet pistol. the gtl21 worked nicely on it and seemed to balance it better especially once the mag started running low. i liked the sights..they were much tighter than my p99 and easier to be precise.

Super Wabbit

Jan 29, 2008
    I've always dismissed the XD since it came out. The new XDm is now on my wish list. Looks like you got yourself a great deal.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I really wanted to sneek out there tonight and shot it. I wish it wasn't so busy at the range.

Sometimes it takes the fun out of working there when I can't go out and shoot the customers new guns!

Sucks it was so buisy there last night, next time I get a chance to shoot there when you are working, I'll make sure I bring the XDm and LCP for you to try out.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Range Report

S7300353.jpg
    25ft rapid fire with 2 16rd mags, about 10 seconds per mag.

The XDM is all that it is cracked up to be, accurate, smooth, controllable, and easy to shoot well. It is well balanced, and points very naturally, the grip is very comfortable, and the checkering keeps it planted in the hand, but is not too abrasive, and over 200 rounds it didn't scratch my hands up at all. The shape of the slide, and serrations definitely speed up misfire drills, and mag changes using the overhand method. The slide stop is shaped well, in a good spot, and is agressively ribbed, also helping to speed rechambering if using the slide stop, or locking the chamber open. The mag release is fully ambidextrous, and having the pocket around it makes it easy to reach, and easy to use, while not having it protrude to far, and in turn making accidental mag drops less likely.

The shape makes for a very high and comfortable grip, keeping percieved recoil on par with most full sized 9mm pistols, and muzzle flip very light and manageable for quick follow up shots. The sights are very good, the 3 dots are relatively small, and while making it easier and quicker to line up the sights, they don't clutter up the sight picture when you are trying to be precise. They are ribbed, and coupled with the matte finish should keep glare away, they are not too big to make them cumbersome, but are large enough to provide a clear sight picture, and there is enough light coming through on either side of the front sight to make longer shots easy. After a couple mags, the groups settled into nice tight cloverleafs on par with most of my "target" pistols firing slow, and actually bettering the rapid fire groups I shoot out of my kimber target 1911.

The mags hold a lot of rounds, and a $17 box of ammo goes all to quickly, of course the mags have more capacity than most any other pistol in it's class, but that is only part of the story. They are fairly large, but are tapered fairly well, and are polished stainless, along with the beveled magwell mag changes are smooth and quick. The base pad is low profile, and fits flush, keeping the grip about the same length as most other pistols, and not too cumbersome, but the ridge around the basepad is wide enough to give a good grip for pulling them out of a mag pouch or the magwell, and comfortable to slap loaded mags in after the empty drops free. The included mag loader also works well, and can be mounted on a pic-rail, like the one on either side of the included mag pouch, the mag spring is not too stiff, and loading 16 rounds by hand is fairly easy, and doesn't require extrenous effort. The follower is shaped well, and the polished surface of the mag keeps feeding positive and smooth, and about impossible to bind up.

Cleanup and takesdown is a snap, to field strip the pistol, you simply lock the slide back, remove the mag, flip the front of the takedown lever up, and pull the slide out the front. The recoil spring is not a "captured" type, and will launch if it slips, but the spring and barrel come out like most combat pistols, simply push the guide rod off of its spot, lift it up, and ease it out, then lift out the barrel, and slide it out to the rear. There is no need to pull the trigger, or flip a separate lever to get the sear out of the way, the XDM has an ingenious little hook that is actuated from a bar cammed off of the takedown lever, and holds the sear down. The trigger frame, locking block, and front rails are all built into one solid peice of steel, making the pistol very rigid, and easy to work on, and when firing, there is no noticeable flex in the frame, or in the trigger feel. The pistol is also very reliable, it digested 200 round of various cheap ammo without a hickup. It felt solid and smooth with each shot, no clunk or sluggish chambering, it cycles plenty smooth and fast.

The XDM also includes many of the features that put the original XD on the map. It has the same easy to see and feel striker indicator and loaded chamber tab, the trigger paddle safety and grip safety, and the standard sized pic-rail mount. The trigger is fairly straight and comfortable, and is made of STEEL, so the feel is not as mushy as the M&P or GLOCK. The pull is a fairly smooth 2 stage feel like most other striker fired guns, with a very small ammount of creep after takeup, and a clean if somewhat soft break, there is a good bit of overtravel and reset is a little long(about the same as an M&P, a little longer reset than GLOCK), that is my only real gripe with the pistol. Hopefully after the PDP kit arrives, this will be gone, and the trigger will be a perfect 5.5lbs.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Pauln, you are a bad influence:D

picked this up today, and threw about 60rds of 40 and 18 rounds of 10mm through it tonight at continental. It's even Adodson approved:thumbsup:

S7300373.jpg

Last edited:

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    Are you bringing that to the Frostbite shoot for the rest of us to see?

So what is the deal now? XD, XD(M), HK USP, Sig, Glock, FNH, M&P, CZ, P99, Px4, Taurus? which service pistol is the best?
    This is ridiculous living in America with the freedom of choice and a free market, too many decisions.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

So what is the deal now? XD, XD(M), HK USP, Sig, Glock, FNH, M&P, CZ, P99, Px4, Taurus? which service pistol is the best?
    This is ridiculous living in America with the freedom of choice and a free market, too many decisions.

Yup, bringing both the XDM and 610, hopefully I'll have time to work the trigger over on both before the shoot. I'll probably get the 610 bored to 10mm magnum after the shoot

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006

I have a PX4 .40S&W and an XD9 4" if you want to start making that decision for yourself Mark :party29: From what I have been told, HKs and Sigs are like BMWs/Ferarri's, and the rest are about equal. Just depends what fits your hand best and what you can spend. Really can't go wrong with any I don't think.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have a PX4 .40S&W and an XD9 4" if you want to start making that decision for yourself Mark :party29: From what I have been told, HKs and Sigs are like BMWs/Ferarri's, and the rest are about equal. Just depends what fits your hand best and what you can spend. Really can't go wrong with any I don't think.

I wouldn't put HK in the same league as a sig, I have a USP 45, and have fired quite a few other models, and IMO, they are the most over-rated and overpriced pistol made, Sigs OTOH are worth it, they are a simple pistol that is VERY well made. In fact the XDM GLOCK, or M&P will handily outshoot outhandle and trounce the USP in most every way, even my $600 Beretta M9 will handily beat the comparable 9mm HK models I have tried in reguards to the trigger, reliability, accuracy ad ergonomics, the only thing the USP wins is that it is relatively light weight. In fact the only HK model that I have really liked, or thought was superior to other less expensive designs is the P7, they are the real deal, compact, powerful, ingenious design, and very accurate.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Got both triggers done, and they are sweet:thumbsup:

got the 610 down to about 2lbs SA 6lbs DA, crisp and smooth, polished the rebound block, hammer contact areas, sear, and sideplate, baked on some militec, and being that it is to be used solely for paper punching went a little lighter on the rebound and main spring, using a Wolf 13lb rebound spring and unspecified "reduced power" power rib mainspring, the mainspring felt a little too light, I already had it though, so I shimmed it with a small peice of aluminum to bring the tension up to what felt like half way between stock, and the wolf springs original weight, this to ensure reliable DA ignition.

For the XD(M), I installed the PDP kit, and posted the instructions for anyone that feels confident in tackling the install, I polished up all the contact surfaces, and the trigger pull is now up to the potential of the pistol itself, and I am quite proud of my work, and pleased with the results, it is the best plastic pistol trigger I have ever felt

the details of the install are posted here http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=14076

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Alucard - curious to get your impression of the XD(M) vs the M&P?

I'm considering getting an XD(M) but thought since I already have an M&P 9mm it might be overkill.

The M&P has been a true plessure to shoot and is probably the smoothest pistol I own. Additionally it's very accurate and has never had any jams. But that XD(M) looks smooth as butter too.

Just wanted to get your opinion since you own both.

Thanks.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Alucard - curious to get your impression of the XD(M) vs the M&P?

I'm considering getting an XD(M) but thought since I already have an M&P 9mm it might be overkill.

The M&P has been a true plessure to shoot and is probably the smoothest pistol I own. Additionally it's very accurate and has never had any jams. But that XD(M) looks smooth as butter too.

Just wanted to get your opinion since you own both.

Thanks.

Comparing fullsize vs fullsize, the M&P has a more organic rounded shape than the multi faceted collection of flat surfaces and "stealth fighter" look of the XDM, and the backstrap of the M&P is not as heavily contoured, and the sides of the grip do ot have as deep thumb recesses, the XDM has a heavier contour, that is arguably more comfortable, and helps control recoil better, although if you shoot "both thumbs high" the XDM can be uncomfortable, being that if you do not hold it how the engineers intended, all the subtle contours don't "fit" your hand. The XDM also has a much better checkering. The trigger is smooth and hinged, making it arguably more comfortable than the XDM's ribbed trigger with GLOCK style paddle in the middle. The mag release on the XDM is ambi, and the mags drop free, but it is not as smooth or easy to reach as the M&Ps button. The sights on both are nice, but the XDMs are a little better for precision work, the dots are smaller, and the sights are larger, the M&Ps are smaller with wider notch and post, and larger dots making them a little quicker to aquire, and less prone to snag, but harder to place precise shots with.

Accuracy of both are comparable, as is reliability, the XDM is easier to take down, and clean, it also has the adition of a passive grip safety for those nervous about carrying with one in the pipe, IMO a thumb safety is not neccesary for a striker fired gun and I do not want one. The M&P does offer one in some models. Both have a loaded chamber indicator, the XDMs works much better, it can be seen in daytime, and felt in darkness, the M&Ps doesn't really work well in either, the XDM also has a striker indicator, the M&P doesn't. I like the shape of the XDMs slide MUCH better, it is easier to grab, the serrations are better, and it is slimmer if carried IWB. The XDM also trumps just about exerything in the same caliber as far as capacity, although the difference between 1 or 2 rounds when compared to the M&P is minor.

The differences between the two are minor, and as all things go, and IMO it comes down to which grip you like better. My M&P is a compact model, presently there is no XDM compact, so that could be a deciding factor. However if I already had an M&P fullsize, I probably wouldn't buy an XDM unless I just wanted it to have, or wanted a different caliber.

Also, out of the box, the M&P has arguably a better trigger, it is a little grittier than the XDMs, but has a shorter pull, less overtravel, and shorter reset, however comparing a Burwell M&P trigger to a PDP XDM trigger, they are both excellent, with the edge going to the XDM with a little less creep, and is a little smoother.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Comparing fullsize vs fullsize, the M&P has a more organic rounded shape than the multi faceted collection of flat surfaces and "stealth fighter" look of the XDM, and the backstrap of the M&P is not as heavily contoured, and the sides of the grip do ot have as deep thumb recesses, the XDM has a heavier contour, that is arguably more comfortable, and helps control recoil better, although if you shoot "both thumbs high" the XDM can be uncomfortable, being that if you do not hold it how the engineers intended, all the subtle contours don't "fit" your hand. The XDM also has a much better checkering. The trigger is smooth and hinged, making it arguably more comfortable than the XDM's ribbed trigger with GLOCK style paddle in the middle. The mag release on the XDM is ambi, and the mags drop free, but it is not as smooth or easy to reach as the M&Ps button. The sights on both are nice, but the XDMs are a little better for precision work, the dots are smaller, and the sights are larger, the M&Ps are smaller with wider notch and post, and larger dots making them a little quicker to aquire, and less prone to snag, but harder to place precise shots with.

Accuracy of both are comparable, as is reliability, the XDM is easier to take down, and clean, it also has the adition of a passive grip safety for those nervous about carrying with one in the pipe, IMO a thumb safety is not neccesary for a striker fired gun and I do not want one. The M&P does offer one in some models. Both have a loaded chamber indicator, the XDMs works much better, it can be seen in daytime, and felt in darkness, the M&Ps doesn't really work well in either, the XDM also has a striker indicator, the M&P doesn't. I like the shape of the XDMs slide MUCH better, it is easier to grab, the serrations are better, and it is slimmer if carried IWB. The XDM also trumps just about exerything in the same caliber as far as capacity, although the difference between 1 or 2 rounds when compared to the M&P is minor.

The differences between the two are minor, and as all things go, and IMO it comes down to which grip you like better. My M&P is a compact model, presently there is no XDM compact, so that could be a deciding factor. However if I already had an M&P fullsize, I probably wouldn't buy an XDM unless I just wanted it to have, or wanted a different caliber.

Also, out of the box, the M&P has arguably a better trigger, it is a little grittier than the XDMs, but has a shorter pull, less overtravel, and shorter reset, however comparing a Burwell M&P trigger to a PDP XDM trigger, they are both excellent, with the edge going to the XDM with a little less creep, and is a little smoother.

As always, excellent reviews and great information alucard :party29: Sounds like I can't go wrong with either. And as they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. And my M&P9 sure ain't broke :thumbsup:

Since I already have the fullsize M&P 9mm as well as a fullsize Beretta 96 .40 cal I'll probably take your advice and hold off on buying an XD(M) for now. If/when they come out with a compact XD(M) I might have to give them another look.

Thanks for the great info. :thumbsup:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    As always, excellent reviews and great information alucard :party29: Sounds like I can't go wrong with either. And as they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. And my M&P9 sure ain't broke :thumbsup:

Since I already have the fullsize M&P 9mm as well as a fullsize Beretta 96 .40 cal I'll probably take your advice and hold off on buying an XD(M) for now. If/when they come out with a compact XD(M) I might have to give them another look.

Thanks for the great info. :thumbsup:

Youre Welcome:thumbsup:

For me, it comes down to what is offered, and what I am looking for. There are also some things that I do not want, like a thumb safety on a carry gun. I really like my M&P 9c, but wanted something a little bigger, chambered in 45ACP for winter concealed carry. I handled the new M&P 45 compact, and really liked it, save for one feature that was a dealbreaker, ambi "gas pedal" thumb safeties. If it were not for that feature, I would not have bought a GLOCK 30 SF instead, with a sloppier trigger, unsupported chamber, and a less comfortable grip, but all these were not as big a deal to me as the the damn thumb safety, and have been corrected.

I also like to own a variety of guns, half the fun is learing more about what makes them tick, and being able to compare and experience the differences somewhat objectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom