• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcass

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 21, 2012
    gambrills , maryland
    I believe Remington is making one for under 6k. not sure how I feel about it kinda removes any chance of missing your target. I wouldn't want to be on the other end of it. It will track up to 10mph and there is no jerking the trigger, once target is tagged you simple squeeze the trigger and hold it until you are on target with the tag and it fires automatically once it is aligned . bang DRT

CStuard

Sep 8, 2012
    I have seen this and watched a couple of videos. I like the technology but haven't figured out one part of it. How accurate do you have to be when 'tagging' the target? If you have to be as accurate w/ your 'tag' as you want your shot to be, then why not just take the shot? Or does it have some kind of built-in fine tuning of the POI?

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I have seen this and watched a couple of videos. I like the technology but haven't figured out one part of it. How accurate do you have to be when 'tagging' the target? If you have to be as accurate w/ your 'tag' as you want your shot to be, then why not just take the shot? Or does it have some kind of built-in fine tuning of the POI?

The firearm fires within that split second when the selected target is acquired...

So the old school way is to adjust for axis and natural elements, hold steady, squeeze trig...

New tech way is pretty much do nothing but hold fairly steady and let rifle do its thing....yeah it's that simple.

The techie stuff:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/17000-linux-powered-rifle-brings-auto-aim-to-the-real-world/

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It depends on how you look at it. If technology give you 99.99% and skill 99% and the fate of the world depends on this one shot.....

Fair enough point.

I prefer to see it this way. Technology is meant to enhance a skillset or ability, not replace it. Our military still teaches the fundamentals even though we have amazing technology to make life easier on the shooter. Technology is great, but it's not infallible.

This may not be the best comparison, so please humor me.

Let's say you have to have open-heart surgery. Would you rather have the surgeon that's done it hundreds of times performing the procedure?, or a less-experienced surgeon with an 'app' that walks him thru the procedure?

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I am curious what kind of accuracy this thing actually has. If I'm trying to shoot a deer in the heart at 600 or 700 yards, there isn't a large margin for error.

Basically, I wonder if they build this to hit an 18" plate at 500 yards or if they built it to hit an apple at 500 yards.

Very different ideas in my mind.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    The smoothbore musket eventually replaced the skilled archer of European armies. Why? Because it was easier and cheaper to give a firearm to a relatively unskilled person and have them be "combat effective". It took years of training and then constant upkeep to make a good bowman and keep him there.

I don't see this new technology changing things right away, it took a long time for firearms to replace bowmen.

We replaced large naval artillery with guided missiles and smart bombs. We now have smart artillery shells. The smart technology is making its way to firearms. Just the march of progress. I'm not farsighted enough to see what the implications are for civilian shooters.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I believe Remington is making one for under 6k. not sure how I feel about it kinda removes any chance of missing your target. I wouldn't want to be on the other end of it. It will track up to 10mph and there is no jerking the trigger, once target is tagged you simple squeeze the trigger and hold it until you are on target with the tag and it fires automatically once it is aligned . bang DRT
    They featured that rifle system in a recent issue of American Rifleman. Yes, the optics do a lot of the thinking for you, but that doesn't make it miss-proof. You still have to have a trained, experienced shooter squeezing the trigger for any kind of longer shot.

MaraD

The Tall Girl
    Aug 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    "Never misses." - right. Let's see how well it shoots when some inexperienced shooter uses whatever cheap ammo they can find with inconsistent powder loads, varying bullet weights, or wrong bullets for the barrel twist, and then tries to fire it without shouldering it properly, without having cleaned the rifle regularly or shooting it when its completely overheated. You know people with no clue as to what they are doing will buy this and use it without proper training. Bet a lot of rounds end up everywhere except on target.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    There was a writeup on the technology a couple months ago in American Rifleman.

The biological unit still must do their part. The tech just does the doping for you. It must be calibrated for your ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom