• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    Let me start by saying I am mainly a pistol guy and know nothing about the internals of AR's and how they work. I do have a Colt AR that I have shot several times but have not had any issues with it so, no need to tinker with it.

I built my first AR pistol (or AR anything) today and I followed a very good u-tube video. I was careful to take my time and replayed some of the instructions several times to ensure I was doing everything correctly. I did all the function checks the video suggested and everything seemed to go really well (or so I thought).

Here is the problem.....when I go to pull the charging handle back it will only move approx. 1/2"(if that) and will not move anymore. I assume something is blocking it from coming back any further however, I can't figure out what it is.

If it matters...I used a Spikes lower, 7 1/2" Red X upper (223) , a chrome Red X BCG and a BCM Gunfighter charging handle. When the upper is seperated from the lower, the charging handle and BCG move very smoothly.

Anyone know where I messed up? Any and all help is appreciated.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Switch the upper with your other AR, and see if they work on the opposite lowers.

But dont post about it worked/didn't. If you put the pistol upper on the rifle lower is an SBR.

Edit: check to make sure the buffer retention spring is low enough to allow the bolt to clear.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    I'm in Elkton if you would like to bring it by, I'm sure I can get it figured out for you.

Or you can post some pictures of it, to see if anything stands out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom