• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    Edit: check to make sure the buffer retention spring is low enough to allow the bolt to clear.

I believe this is the issue! I visually compared my Colt lower with the Spikes lower and everything looks identical. I removed the take down pin and I raised the upper from the lower just a hair and the bolt moved freely!

What do i do, try to grind down the buffer retainer a little bit? I know I can't take much off or it will not function properly but that's the only thing I can think of.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The buffer tube should just about hit the nub on the retaining pin when it's all the way inserted, you may be able to get another turn. I'd sooner trim a tad off the buffer tube before I mod'd the pin itself (insert dremel here.. lol). Or... swap that tube out for another to see if it's the tube or the lower fit.. Be sure the buffer tube does not protrude beyond the top of the front of the receiver hole tho and prevent proper mating of the upper/lower.

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    I can not get another rotation on the buffer tube, it was already pretty tight.

Heres some photo's;

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    It looks like a pistol buffer tube, as I use, so there is no orientation, but... that endplate looks a tad thick and that could be the issue with not being able to go a bit more into the receiver with it.. do you have another endplate that you could try out? It needs to go in a bit more.. not much, maybe a 1/4 of a turn... a thinner endplate may cure this, as that is what it indexing it now.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You may also be able to shave a blonde hair off the top of the buffer retaining pin, but that is a very fine line and easy to take too much..

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    You may also be able to shave a blonde hair off the top of the buffer retaining pin, but that is a very fine line and easy to take too much..

I think I am going to try this and if i screw it up I do have another lower parts kit.

As stated in my OP this was my first build and know nothing about the internals of AR's but I actually thought that endplate was thick looking.

Here goes nothing!

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I think I am going to try this and if i screw it up I do have another lower parts kit.

As stated in my OP this was my first build and know nothing about the internals of AR's but I actually thought that endplate was thick looking.

Here goes nothing!

Why not try swapping the buffer retainer pin with a known good one first,before you go dremeling things?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Pistol tubes usually don't use a castle nut to secure them, the carbine buffer tubes do, so the endplate thickness is of no consequence on a carbine tube, but it is on a pistol tube, as that is what the tube is bottoming out against. This can sometimes be an issue with a thicker than normal endplate.

Keep my fingers crossed for ya! ;)

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!

It worked! I just shaved a little off and now it is working great and there appears to be plenty of length left to retain the buffer.

Wow...I want to thank all of you guys very much for helping me out! That's what makes this community great. With all of the suggestions/recommendations, etc., I've really learned alot from you guys and maybe I'll able to help someone else in the future!

Weber,
    I want thank you for offering to let me come to your house to look at it. I was very close to taking you up on it!:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom