• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    They both accept the same dies, use the same powder measure.

The 550 is manual index, 4 stations. It's faster and cheaper to change calibers but slower to load on.

The 650 is a 5 station automatic indexing press that comes from the factory with a case feeder. If you buy the optional collator (they call it the case feeder) you never have to touch a case. Add a bullet feeder as well and it will run circles around the 550.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl63cR9Y_Y0

At least until you go to change calibers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=689Wzn4qY3w

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    550 is easily converted to single stage type operation.

550 will load some longer cartridges that the 650 will not.

The 650 is faster. I can do 1000 rounds per hour of .45 ACP, and around 800 per hour of 9mm. 5.56 is about 600 per hour, mainly due to misfeeds of cases.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    There was an issue with the 650 that the rounds spin to fast to the next station and then stop so quickly that powder spills out. At least that's a prob when loading 9mm. Guys have reported fixing the issue by installing a different ball bearings and/or spring.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    You can load 1 piece of brass in either of them. As a matter of fact I do so every time I set up dies. The reciprocating primer feed on the 550 is an "on demand" system the 650 will however feed a primer every time all the time, doesn't matter if there is a case or not.

I like the bearing addition on the 650 but as long as you are smooth at operating the handle they don't fling powder out.

This is one of my 650's loading 100 rounds of 9mm in under 4 min.

Less than half the time it would take on my 550.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    You can load 1 piece of brass in either of them. As a matter of fact I do so every time I set up dies. The reciprocating primer feed on the 550 is an "on demand" system the 650 will however feed a primer every time all the time, doesn't matter if there is a case or not.

I like the bearing addition on the 650 but as long as you are smooth at operating the handle they don't fling powder out.

VERY impressive

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    There was an issue with the 650 that the rounds spin to fast to the next station and then stop so quickly that powder spills out. At least that's a prob when loading 9mm. Guys have reported fixing the issue by installing a different ball bearings and/or spring.

Yeah, I freak out about this, but it turns out to be an insignificant amount of powder--not detectable on my balances before and after. Still, I slow down the movement with my finger on the case anyway.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah, I freak out about this, but it turns out to be an insignificant amount of powder--not detectable on my balances before and after. Still, I slow down the movement with my finger on the case anyway.

That is what I do. Or slow the handle at the proper moment as the ram is coming down.

Not a huge deal.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick

Love the table - would you pls share where you bought? (Or given your aceeen name, if you made)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    It's one I made. Formed a 5" truss from 3/4" box tube, cross braced where the different presses mount, 18" deep with 10 ga steel top and shelf.

IMAG1210.jpg

Electrical down the progressive side with one switch to kill power to everything except the one outlet controlled by the 2nd switch for the dentist office air compressor.

IMAG1238.jpg

18" is pretty shallow for a free standing reloading bench, why the "wing" and lower shelf to hold all the heavy stuff.

IMAG1256.jpg

There are sub plates that bolt into drilled an tapped holes in the bench, makes it so when I add or move presses around I don't have to modify the bench, rather just a plate.

IMG_20161122_194653_983_zpseotnoukn.jpg

Last edited:

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    It's one I made. Formed a 5" truss from 3/4" box tube, cross braced where the different presses mount, 18" deep with 10 ga steel top and shelf.

IMAG1210.jpg

Electrical down the progressive side with one switch to kill power to everything except the one outlet controlled by the 2nd switch for the dentist office air compressor.

IMAG1238.jpg

18" is pretty shallow for a free standing reloading bench, why the "wing" and lower shelf to hold all the heavy stuff.

IMAG1256.jpg
    you may have a reloading addiction nice!

730dc

Mar 11, 2013

are you just using the gsi set up? i seem to recall from i think enos that you use there tool head but use a mr bullet feeder collator ? if so do they go together right out of the box?

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    GSI didn't yet make a collator when I bought their first feeder so I have always made my own.

The last few I have built are very close to the KISS feeders. I make them from 6" PVC pipe and 1/2" Hyvar (plastic).

feeder1.jpg

Built simple jigs to build the different caliber wheels.

DSC01472.jpg

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville

So what was the cost with all attachments?

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    Not sure how much it will help as things were added over time and most of it will cost more new today than it did then but the 650 cost me $350, the case collator was around $180, another $200 for the tool head/feeder and countless hours of my wife telling me I have too much "junk" in order to have enough "stuff" to put the bullet collator together.

Lots less than this one though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrFhnDQ-eUU

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom