• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockman80

Feb 23, 2018
    Maryland
    Anyone here into RAVIN Crossbows? Just curious on your set up and experiences? I happen to enjoy them and think they are a solid product, they bring extreme accuracy to the table thats for sure? Anyone ? Thanks

Glockman80

Feb 23, 2018
    Maryland
    New R10

Just got the new Ravin R10 over the weekend I highly suggest you all checking it out 100 yards no issues

So accurate can’t shoot the same spot

Attachments

• B82B4F98-B68C-4C8F-AA22-90D803DAB5ED.jpg
      B82B4F98-B68C-4C8F-AA22-90D803DAB5ED.jpg
      56.3 KB · Views: 526

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Although I have no place to shoot one, and I don't hunt, I want one of those so badly I can almost taste it. :party29:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    If I had to buy another crossbow is buy that one!

I'll never shoot 100 yards, but there are narrow

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    So accurate can’t shoot the same spot

Is that a miss type, off handed slap, just wrote it wrong? Its accurate, but you can't shoot the same spot or did you mean to say you can? I am assuming you don't mean that as I am perceiving it.

Its a very nice crossbow, but at $1500 it's not on my next bow list. I think its great getting fast and flatter shooting crossbows, but I really don't like how they market this for 100 yards. It great for target shooting but trying to get 100 yards hunting, in the wood and not clip anything and not have the animal string jump at all is a huge stretch, IMO. Who is always going to have clear shooting lanes at 100 yards?

Is it possibly the best Xbow out there,yes. Should you then hunt with it at 100 yards? IMO, No, because the it's only 50 FPS faster than mine and I really don;t want to shoot over 40 yards. 50 yards is pushing it for string jump for me.

Glockman80

Feb 23, 2018
    Maryland
    Fine tune the explanation

Is that a miss type, off handed slap, just wrote it wrong? Its accurate, but you can't shoot the same spot or did you mean to say you can? I am assuming you don't mean that as I am perceiving it.

Its a very nice crossbow, but at $1500 it's not on my next bow list. I think its great getting fast and flatter shooting crossbows, but I really don't like how they market this for 100 yards. It great for target shooting but trying to get 100 yards hunting, in the wood and not clip anything and not have the animal string jump at all is a huge stretch, IMO. Who is always going to have clear shooting lanes at 100 yards?

Is it possibly the best Xbow out there,yes. Should you then hunt with it at 100 yards? IMO, No, because the it's only 50 FPS faster than mine and I really don;t want to shoot over 40 yards. 50 yards is pushing it for string jump for me.

I should have advised a tad better lol

I can’t shoot the same spot and have to choose different dots because you will spend a crap ton of money buying new bolts. Bust one after the other shooting groups or same dot. Won’t do that again.

100 yards is great for targets. 100 yard lanes some have them. 100 yards on fields all day. Would I take them shots on an animal no. I’m about 60 yards tops with mine hunting. No issues killing deer at that distance.

That speed at rated 400fps mine is doing 420fps, all the Ravins do more than rated nothing is close to jumping the string to 60. That’s all I’ve shot them at.

This is a good model for size speed accuracy and design, as well as the crank.

The $1500 is rough for some I understand that one also

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Tenpoint came out with some this year that look to be about as narrow. Not quite as fast I don't think but several hundred dollars cheaper. I'm perfectly happy with my Tenpoint turbo but my brother bought a Ravin last year. He didn't hunt with it yet though. I think he will this year.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Freedom Armory in Glen Rock, PA is having an event tonight with reps from several different crossbow manufacturers present. I still have the hots for a Ravin, and am going to see them in person as well as to see what else is available. I'm hoping that they'll have some insane deals that are too good to pass up. :drool:

I can't paste the entire flyer, but here's a link to their website and the gist of the flyer: Freedom Armory
    --------------------

NOW CARRYING CROSSBOWS

JOIN US FOR CROSSBOW DEMO NIGHTS

JULY 18TH or AUGUST 1ST
    6-7pm or 7-8pm

Experience Crossbows!
    Free Orientation for Persons New to Crossbows
    Experienced Users Try Out New Equipment
    And, Get Answers to Your Questions

FREE With Reservation
    No Purchase Necessary to Participate
    Call 717.227.9060
    OR
    Email: sales@freedomarmory.com
    with your choice of date and time

Factory Reps On Site

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    AAR -- Road trip to Freedom Armory

Two hours in bumper to bumper beltway traffic sucked. Most drivers were calm enough, but some were just insane in their futile efforts to jump one or two cars ahead of the other thousands of us who were all trying to get out of Dodge. Enough of that.

Made it up to Freedom Armory around 6:45, and their lot was almost empty... pretty surprising for the big event that I thought was supposed to be happening. Went inside and was greeted by a very nice store employee (no name tag), and I let him know I was there for the crossbow dog and pony show. He led me over to the pistol range where two factory reps were demonstrating their stuff. Very few customers there, maybe three or four including me. Maybe not a bad thing for us, but I'm sure it was disappointing for the shop.

I REALLY wanted to see and shoot a Ravin. So guess which rep wasn't there? Crap. There was a Ten Point rep who was really knowledgeable and let me shoot two of their models that met my list of requirements. My first shot was offhand (unsupported) at +/- 23 yards was a 10X, and I was hooked. Beginner's luck for sure, but the next two all grouped at 3" which was better than I deserved. They had a lighted nock installed, and hot damn was that a treat to shoot. So easy to see the impact. Add those to the list.

My ideal crossbow would have a built in crank for cocking, solid dark color, good ergonomics that allow me to get a good cheek weld while also getting proper eye relief on the scope, and come with all the bells and whistles needed to start shooting. This would be my first crossbow, so I wanted to make sure I didn't get something either over my head, or so basic that I'd outgrow it in a week.

But damn, I still wanted to shoot a Ravin. Just really liked their ads, I guess. Well, the shop had a line of Ravins on display. The model I would buy if I had the money was the R20 Sniper Ravin website (first model listed). But $2,500 is a bit steep for me, especially since I didn't know if I'd even like shooting it. The least expensive model they had was the R10, and it had all the stuff I wanted, at about the price I was willing to pay (and the same price as the model of Ten Point that I liked). Cutting to the chase, I negotiated the best deal I could (which wasn't much, but I got three free arrows as Ravin calls them, not bolts), a pack of lighted nocks, heavy enough target to withstand the awesome power this thing has, and some other stuff. Did some mental gymnastics and threw caution to the wind, and pulled the trigger.

Whew. This morning, after coffee and reading the manual (yeah, I read those things when it's something I'm doing for the first time and have no experience), and I took everything out of the box and put it together. Easier than I expected. Set up the target in my basement (I can manage about a 15 yard range) and zeroed the scope.

Very smooth and light trigger! Unlike anything on any firearm I've ever shot... single stage with about 1/2" of uptake, then a very smooth release. It'll take some getting used to, but it's pretty good. The cocking procedure took a few repetitions to become second nature (muscle memory and all that), and it's surprisingly easy and quick. I prefer their method of the captive belt that connects to the trigger release component, as opposed to the Ten Point plastic clamp that has to be pulled out of the stock and clipped onto the string every time.

Looking forward to getting it out to 50 yards, but for now, it's working just fine in the basement where it's nice and cool. Gotta love a/c, right?

I could have driven up to Lancaster Archery and test shot one of these first, but after doing tons of online research I already knew that this was the one i wanted. Fortunately, it lived up to my expectations. Well see how it does after stretching its legs this fall when it cools off outside.

Here's my target from the Ten Point. Not award winning, but for the first time I had ever shot a crossbow, and offhand to boot, I'm not too ashamed of it:

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
      IMG_0154.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 360

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Two hours in bumper to bumper beltway traffic sucked. Most drivers were calm enough, but some were just insane in their futile efforts to jump one or two cars ahead of the other thousands of us who were all trying to get out of Dodge. Enough of that.

Made it up to Freedom Armory around 6:45, and their lot was almost empty... pretty surprising for the big event that I thought was supposed to be happening. Went inside and was greeted by a very nice store employee (no name tag), and I let him know I was there for the crossbow dog and pony show. He led me over to the pistol range where two factory reps were demonstrating their stuff. Very few customers there, maybe three or four including me. Maybe not a bad thing for us, but I'm sure it was disappointing for the shop.

I REALLY wanted to see and shoot a Ravin. So guess which rep wasn't there? Crap. There was a Ten Point rep who was really knowledgeable and let me shoot two of their models that met my list of requirements. My first shot was offhand (unsupported) at +/- 23 yards was a 10X, and I was hooked. Beginner's luck for sure, but the next two all grouped at 3" which was better than I deserved. They had a lighted nock installed, and hot damn was that a treat to shoot. So easy to see the impact. Add those to the list.

My ideal crossbow would have a built in crank for cocking, solid dark color, good ergonomics that allow me to get a good cheek weld while also getting proper eye relief on the scope, and come with all the bells and whistles needed to start shooting. This would be my first crossbow, so I wanted to make sure I didn't get something either over my head, or so basic that I'd outgrow it in a week.

But damn, I still wanted to shoot a Ravin. Just really liked their ads, I guess. Well, the shop had a line of Ravins on display. The model I would buy if I had the money was the R20 Sniper Ravin website (first model listed). But $2,500 is a bit steep for me, especially since I didn't know if I'd even like shooting it. The least expensive model they had was the R10, and it had all the stuff I wanted, at about the price I was willing to pay (and the same price as the model of Ten Point that I liked). Cutting to the chase, I negotiated the best deal I could (which wasn't much, but I got three free arrows as Ravin calls them, not bolts), a pack of lighted nocks, heavy enough target to withstand the awesome power this thing has, and some other stuff. Did some mental gymnastics and threw caution to the wind, and pulled the trigger.

Whew. This morning, after coffee and reading the manual (yeah, I read those things when it's something I'm doing for the first time and have no experience), and I took everything out of the box and put it together. Easier than I expected. Set up the target in my basement (I can manage about a 15 yard range) and zeroed the scope.

Very smooth and light trigger! Unlike anything on any firearm I've ever shot... single stage with about 1/2" of uptake, then a very smooth release. It'll take some getting used to, but it's pretty good. The cocking procedure took a few repetitions to become second nature (muscle memory and all that), and it's surprisingly easy and quick. I prefer their method of the captive belt that connects to the trigger release component, as opposed to the Ten Point plastic clamp that has to be pulled out of the stock and clipped onto the string every time.

Looking forward to getting it out to 50 yards, but for now, it's working just fine in the basement where it's nice and cool. Gotta love a/c, right?

I could have driven up to Lancaster Archery and test shot one of these first, but after doing tons of online research I already knew that this was the one i wanted. Fortunately, it lived up to my expectations. Well see how it does after stretching its legs this fall when it cools off outside.

Here's my target from the Ten Point. Not award winning, but for the first time I had ever shot a crossbow, and offhand to boot, I'm not too ashamed of it:
    You bought a RAVIN as your very first crossbow :eek: Buy once, cry once; you don't mess around, eh?

(:secret: my very first crossbow showed up a couple of weeks ago...it's an R10 ;) )

I've only done some basic zeroing in the yard...was able to do 20 and 40 yds. I'll have to tweek the zoom/speed just a hair. Windage was dead on out of the box, which was a pleasant surprise. I only left one arrow (you are correct, that's what they call them...though I really want to say "bolt," too) in the target at a time, and it's a good thing. I have two holes almost touching, (:party29:?) and that would have been no bueno if they were both occupado at the same timo. :eek:

Katie, for whatever reason, was underwhelmed by the whole crossbow concept :confused: I don't know if it was because she knew how much I spent :o (under the guise of killing ground hogs), but she said it was slow to load and she just didn't see the point. :shrug: I deliberately did our zeroing in the evening, so after it was on paper (not that it took much to get there anyway), it was dark enough to make the lighted arrows really pop. She had to admit that that was pretty damned cool.:party29:

I have this terrible urge to do something a little reckless with it. Sometime, when it's really dark, I want to go out into one of the bigger fields around here (when there aren't horses in it, obviously), and just let a lighted arrow fly for as far as it will go. It might be a stupid and potentially dangerous way to wreck a $20 arrow...:o...but it just seems like it would be pretty awesome :shrug:

I'll post video when it happens ;)

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    You bought a RAVIN as your very first crossbow :eek: Buy once, cry once; you don't mess around, eh?

(:secret: my very first crossbow showed up a couple of weeks ago...it's an R10 ;) )

Sounds as though we're on he same page. Congratulations on your new toy, too! Most of my life I've had to settle for stuff that was 'good enough' to get the job done, and then spent a bunch of time and money upgrading components. This time I wanted to get it as close to right as I could from the start, and so far it's working out.

I did months of research on the Ravin line, and watched every youtube video I could find. Also ran into a guy at AGC who had one. Picked his brain but didn't get the chance to try it out as he didn't have it with him. Too bad the archery range at AGC is closed (just found that out last night) as I don't have an alternate place right now to shoot.

I've only done some basic zeroing in the yard...was able to do 20 and 40 yds. I'll have to tweek the zoom/speed just a hair. Windage was dead on out of the box, which was a pleasant surprise. I only left one arrow (you are correct, that's what they call them...though I really want to say "bolt," too) in the target at a time, and it's a good thing. I have two holes almost touching, (:party29:?) and that would have been no bueno if they were both occupado at the same timo. :eek:

Katie, for whatever reason, was underwhelmed by the whole crossbow concept :confused: I don't know if it was because she knew how much I spent :o (under the guise of killing ground hogs), but she said it was slow to load and she just didn't see the point. :shrug: I deliberately did our zeroing in the evening, so after it was on paper (not that it took much to get there anyway), it was dark enough to make the lighted arrows really pop. She had to admit that that was pretty damned cool.:party29:

I have this terrible urge to do something a little reckless with it. Sometime, when it's really dark, I want to go out into one of the bigger fields around here (when there aren't horses in it, obviously), and just let a lighted arrow fly for as far as it will go. It might be a stupid and potentially dangerous way to wreck a $20 arrow...:o...but it just seems like it would be pretty awesome :shrug:

I'll post video when it happens ;)

Yeah, about that.... I believe you're talking about horizontal distance, and not vertical height, right? The little kid in me keeps imagining shooting an arrow straight up to see how high it would go, and then hiding under a hard hat and a trash can lid while hoping for the best. :sad20:

The adult in me won't let that happen. He's a spoil sport. :innocent0

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Yeah, about that.... I believe you're talking about horizontal distance, and not vertical height, right? The little kid in me keeps imagining shooting an arrow straight up to see how high it would go, and then hiding under a hard hat and a trash can lid while hoping for the best. :sad20:

I've been wanting to do that as well. Really curious as to how far I can shoot a bolt from my Excalibur at the best trajectory for distance.

Once that benchmark for max distance is established, I could concentrate on accuracy. Of course not for hunting, but just to see what I could do with it...

A short Googling of this suggests that a modern crossbow can shoot a bolt 500 yards...

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Lov'em but just too much $$$. I bought a Barnett Raptor 2 years ago and for the $399 I can shoot quarters @ 40yards. It is also very quiet and narrow, not like the Ravin, but was my reason for buying.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I've been wanting to do that as well. Really curious as to how far I can shoot a bolt from my Excalibur at the best trajectory for distance.

Once that benchmark for max distance is established, I could concentrate on accuracy. Of course not for hunting, but just to see what I could do with it...

A short Googling of this suggests that a modern crossbow can shoot a bolt 500 yards...
    Never taken a bow shot of 50 yards but have bow/scope sited in for 50. Consistently hit inside 8" circle at 50. That would be farthest I would be comfortable with taking a shot while hunting.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Sounds as though we're on he same page. Congratulations on your new toy, too! Most of my life I've had to settle for stuff that was 'good enough' to get the job done, and then spent a bunch of time and money upgrading components. This time I wanted to get it as close to right as I could from the start, and so far it's working out.

I did months of research on the Ravin line, and watched every youtube video I could find. Also ran into a guy at AGC who had one. Picked his brain but didn't get the chance to try it out as he didn't have it with him. Too bad the archery range at AGC is closed (just found that out last night) as I don't have an alternate place right now to shoot.

When I was about 20 or so and bought my first set of 18v dewalt tools to replace the hodgepodge of junk drills I had been dealing with, I immediately realized the value of buying the best ______ you can afford at the time. It applies to tools, guns, pants, vehicles, whatever.

Having credit cards with high limits makes the "can afford at the time" a little fuzzy :o I bought my Ravin from Amazon, with my Amszon card that gives me 5x points on purchases there. The plan is to accumulate enough points to pay for a Labradar chonograph...the Ravin purchase was a giant leap towards that goal :D

Yes, goodness, yes, horizontal! When I was a kid, making bows from sticks and string, my cousin used to do the verticle shot and then stand so that it would stick into the ground at his feet. :eek: Even at 10yrs or so old, I knew better and stayed the heck away.:sad20: Besides, doing it in the dark with the lighted knock, I really think the horizontal shot would give a longer and more enjoyable display...with less frantic looking for cover at the last minute or worrying about where the winds may unexpectedly take it.:innocent0

The second video below shows 680 yards :eek: I'll need to do some measuring...I live in the middle of a big farm, but I don't know if I can safely accomodate that distance...

Well, if we get bored with the regular stuff, we could always...

or this..

That looks like a heck of a lot of fun...but...those arrows are expensive. I need to stockpile some more before my financial consciousness will let me get that reckless.:o Yeah, yeah...I know...I can rationalize buying the damned thing, but not paying to feed it...baby steps, I'll get there.:D

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    That looks like a heck of a lot of fun...but...those arrows are expensive. I need to stockpile some more before my financial consciousness will let me get that reckless.:o Yeah, yeah...I know...I can rationalize buying the damned thing, but not paying to feed it...baby steps, I'll get there.:D

Maybe after our original arrows get shot a few hundred times and they start to deteriorate (but before they're dangerous) we can experiment with Beverly Hillbillies style bank shots. I'm not a fan of the through the PVC tube shots... looks like they lose a lot of fletching that way.

I've been shooting (a lot) in the basement at about 15 yards (that's all I've got) and it's getting boring. Wait, what? I suspect that shooting at this short range doesn't allow the arrow to stabilize out of the bow, so I'm getting some deviation from dead center hits. Sometimes as much as 1/2". Can't wait to get outside and some more appropriate distances.

jlowe23

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2014
    Cecil County
    Just as a FYI. I have my R10 Kit's on sale. The Gunmetal Grey Kit (R011) is $1169. The Predator Camo Kit (R010) is $1245.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Just as a FYI. I have my R10 Kit's on sale. The Gunmetal Grey Kit (R011) is $1169. The Predator Camo Kit (R010) is $1245.

Damn! It's too late for me, but I'd encourage anybody else considering one of these terrific crossbows to take advantage of that sale price! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom