• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Taking CCW (because, MD:rolleyes:) and gender out of the equation, I think this is a great gun someone who doesn't know if they want to be a gun person:
    https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5771.html

1.jpg

The grip is small enough for my wife's little lady-paws, yet, somehow, my meathooks can still hold onto it just fine. With a 4" barrel and real sights, .38 special loads can offer economical comfort and success at the range when you want to shoot, while .357 magnum gives confidence when you need to shoot. Honestly, .357 mag isn't really that unpleasant to shoot out of it anyway. :shrug:

If the owner decides that maybe they do want to become a gun person (:fingerscrossed:) and expand into other firearms, it can still always pull duty in a nightstand safe. Being robustly Ruger, it isn't going to wear out.

As to pretty...well, I think it is. It's shiny :shrug: Women are like crows; they like shiny things.;)

I like the SP101 although I don't personally have one....and it's not super light. But I think if the person (woman or not) decides to eventually shoot full bore 357, the recoil will be higher than a larger frame gun. These are also most often encountered with shorter barrels. The shorter barrels will decrease the effectiveness of the magnum rounds as well as have a shorter sight radius. The relatively longer barrel length of the one you picture might make it a decent choice. Also, the SP101 is a 5 shot. Gotta say, it is 'purdy'. And perhaps the small grip will have an appeal that mitigated the otherwise small frame size. Also like that the version you pictured has the fully adjustable sights.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    My wife liked my Sig P229 so much that she bought one! This was after having rented about ten other handguns to try. As stated before, have her try out several handguns.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Since my wife can't/won't carry, she likes a simple S&W model 10 small grip and 4 inch heavy barrel loaded with standard pressure 158grn for the nightstand.

My woman is practical.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    1. Read these, and have her do the same:
    2: Take her to a range that rents pistols, and try out as many Glock 9mm pistols as they have (or have her try yours if you own a sufficient number of Glocks). G19, G17, or G45 are the top candidates. It needs to fit her hands, and those all have soft recoil for anyone with reasonable hand strength.

3: Go on eBay (or to your preferred holstersmith) and buy a pink :o kydex holster that fully covers the trigger guard. Even if she doesn't carry on a belt, the holster can function as a trigger cover/case on a nightstand, in a drawer, in a purse, etc. And, the pink kydex will make the whole thing pretty.

*4. If she has grip/strength issues, consider one of the Vickers (or other) slide rackers that replace the rear slide cover plate with one that sticks out just a bit. (* I haven't tested this idea out extensively, but some secondhand reports lead me to want to try it out)

My observation from the above articles: women, unswayed by marketing, machismo, or movies, but rather experience manipulating and firing pistols, consistently picked the handgun that a large percentage highly-trained armed professionals carry - the Glock 19. How about that. ;)

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Mrs Biggfoot favorite handgun - S&W M57

Biggfootette favorite handgun - S&W M66 2.5in

So don't assume , or fall into cliched sterotypes . Of course both of them started shooting young .
    ( Biggfootette has the opposite of the cliche, being the young woman dealing with non-shooting guys .)

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Mrs Biggfoot favorite handgun - S&W M57

Biggfootette favorite handgun - S&W M66 2.5in

So don't assume , or fall into cliched sterotypes . Of course both of them started shooting young .
    ( Biggfootette has the opposite of the cliche, being the young woman dealing with non-shooting guys .)

:thumbsup: I know a petite little lady that shoots a .44 desert eagle and loves it.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    1. Read these, and have her do the same:

2: Take her to a range that rents pistols, and try out as many Glock 9mm pistols as they have (or have her try yours if you own a sufficient number of Glocks). G19, G17, or G45 are the top candidates. It needs to fit her hands, and those all have soft recoil for anyone with reasonable hand strength.

3: Go on eBay (or to your preferred holstersmith) and buy a pink :o kydex holster that fully covers the trigger guard. Even if she doesn't carry on a belt, the holster can function as a trigger cover/case on a nightstand, in a drawer, in a purse, etc. And, the pink kydex will make the whole thing pretty.

*4. If she has grip/strength issues, consider one of the Vickers (or other) slide rackers that replace the rear slide cover plate with one that sticks out just a bit. (* I haven't tested this idea out extensively, but some secondhand reports lead me to want to try it out)

My observation from the above articles: women, unswayed by marketing, machismo, or movies, but rather experience manipulating and firing pistols, consistently picked the handgun that a large percentage highly-trained armed professionals carry - the Glock 19. How about that. ;)
    My wife bought a minimalist trigger guard witha cord...in shocking pink...for her glock 43 for purse carry. Besides style, easy to find in the bottom of a large bag. Good thought!

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    My wife bought a minimalist trigger guard witha cord...in shocking pink...for her glock 43 for purse carry. Besides style, easy to find in the bottom of a large bag. Good thought!
    I have a yellow Raven Concealment Systems Vanguard for the same reason. Well, the latter reason. :party29:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I’d worry more about what fits her hand, is comfortable for her, and what she shoots well. Whatever that is, it can always be Cerakoted in a color she likes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I like the SP101 although I don't personally have one....and it's not super light. But I think if the person (woman or not) decides to eventually shoot full bore 357, the recoil will be higher than a larger frame gun. These are also most often encountered with shorter barrels. The shorter barrels will decrease the effectiveness of the magnum rounds as well as have a shorter sight radius. The relatively longer barrel length of the one you picture might make it a decent choice. Also, the SP101 is a 5 shot. Gotta say, it is 'purdy'. And perhaps the small grip will have an appeal that mitigated the otherwise small frame size. Also like that the version you pictured has the fully adjustable sights.

Without the barrel and sights, it's just a snubby (a heavy one, at that), which I certainly would not recommend as a first and potentially only gun. If a new shooter can't have a good time hitting their target because they are trying to use a snappy recoiling snubby with fixed carry sights, I suspect they are less likely to become an old shooter than someone having fun and success. I have both the version pictured and the snubby (just too lazy to take my own pics:o).

I bought the snubby many years ago because...well...for whatever reason I had an itch to fill that hole in the collection (hmm...that sounds like another recent thread). I had originally been looking at a Taurus (:eek:), but invested a little extra in the Ruger because it fit my hand so much better. I've never had notions of CCW while I'm still in MD, but I've stuck it in my pocket a few times as discrete company around the farm when there's been potential trouble brewing. It fits great in an otherwise empty pants pocket...but it is just too heavy. An LCR is on the wish list to solve that. Shooting the snubby is fun with .38, but .357 definitely turns it into another animal. It isn't intolerable, but I have to readjust my grip after every shot and the fireball and concussion could very easily turn a new/timid shooter.

The 4 inch pictured (I think it's actually 4 point something-something inch barrel) is absolutely a pleasure in .38. There is enough report and recoil to let you know it isn't a .22lr, but, especially shooting outside, it really shouldn't scare even the newest of shooters. In .357, yeah, it let's you know it means business, and I wouldn't start off a newbie with .357 as their first shot ever...but it really isn't that bad.

As was mentioned, sure, it's nose heavy, but that helps tame the recoil. I think of it as a scaled down version of my 6" GP100. It was also mentioned that it is available in .327 Fed as a six shot version. That would definitely rectify what I consider its only real shortcoming (5 rnd capacity), but I just don't know if it is worth the trade off for ammo cost and future availability for someone who is not intending to be a "gun person." If I was going to carry, I would definitely consider it...but...I AM a gun person ;) (and would stockpile enough ammo to keep it running for the rest of my life).

Ruger used to offer a fully engraved snubby model. It's too bad they didn't on this version...that would really up the "purdy"

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's 4.2in , to meet the minimum bbl length for Canada .

And in general I agree about small frame snubs . But the SP101 straddles the fence between catagories . With standard vel .38spl , the recoil is fairly modest . Before the current Canada friendly model , I endorsed the 3 1/16 inch model .

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    My wife chose, and shoots accurately, a Ruger LCR in .38 Spc +P. Double action trigger pull >10 lbs. I've shot it several times with 158 gr. +Ps and am amazed that recoil is minimal.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Think I am going to start her off with one of my S&W model 18 revolvers. Then move her up to one of the model 15's. I let some of the ladies from WOT shoot them and they all wanted to know where they could buy one. They just don't make them like that anymore. Once she is hitting the target consistently, we'll try the semi auto's. Going to do some looking at several shops to see what they have in stock, keeping mind the suggestions made here but, not limited to them. Of course, additional suggestions are appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom