• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    article-hellcat-best-ccw-ever-1-1600x1078.jpg

Springfield just announced this, basically an answer to Sig's P365. It's of similar dimentions, cost and weight, 11rd flush fit mag, 13rd extended, and has an optics ready version. Seems to compare favorably, although looks a bit chunkier in the slide. Can guess S&W isn't far behind, and GLOCK is probably rushing to bring something to the micro DS carry pistol market within a decade or so.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/hellcat-features/

Last edited:

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Looks good. Looks better for me than the Sig.

I'll be watching reviews, reports and realistic pricing over the next year or better. Might replace my Walther.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm guessing it doesn't have the chassis system as something they needed to worry about, so looks like a lower bore axis than the 365

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    hc-365.jpg

don't have a pic of the hellcat with the exact same angle, or a P365 with flat mag, but this looks close, think the Hellcat front end is bulkier, maybe a hair higher grip, and a mag base parallel to the boreline, so a bit less finger room. Would have to hold both to see as they are close, really exciting times for concealed carry pistols.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Hellcat? Can't wait for the lawyer types to show up and say you shouldn't own one because the jury might infer you meant to kill someone you (hopefully) lawfully shot.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Hellcat? Can't wait for the lawyer types to show up and say you shouldn't own one because the jury might infer you meant to kill someone you (hopefully) lawfully shot.

Meh, I'm tires of random numbers and letters for model numbers, congrats to the 12 year old contest winner that picked out the name. Hopefully Springfield keeps it classy, and doesn't plaster the name all over the pistol ala the "GRIP ZONE" all over the XD2s

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

That's not a real thing anyone needs to worry about. It's a similar argument people use against the RIP round, and has no real merit or evidence to back it up.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Too little too late.

G43, shield, and 365 corner this market. This idea was a silly one, and will flop. The gun itself not a terrible idea, RMR for CCW......going to fail.

Love the head boop to hip shooting in the video.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Too little too late.

G43, shield, and 365 corner this market. This idea was a silly one, and will flop. The gun itself not a terrible idea, RMR for CCW......going to fail.

I'd have said the G43 (which I have) had it cornered, but that didn't stop the Sig (which I have!) from stomping into the market. If I were to pick up the Springfield and found that it's a slightly better ergonomic fit or shoots a little better for me, I wouldn't rule it out. The P365's sight picture / POI is utterly predictable but decades of shooting instincts, for me, mean I shoot low with that otherwise very nice gun. I have a Springfield XDe which for me is a very natural pointer and I hit what I point it at. Who know? This thing might be better for me than the Sig. In real life, that's total hair splitting, now that I have the Sig's capacity over the G43.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Too little too late.

IMO it's only direct competitor is the P365, as a < 1" <20oz subcompact doublestack around 6"x4". Most everything else is a singlestack or much heavier/thicker. The P365 was the #1 selling handgun last year, so lots of money in the segment, and this offers some things the P365 doesn't. Things are changing with carry optics too, a lot of new shooters LOVE them, a lot of seasoned shooters also love them, it makes a stubby pistol with a short sight radius easy to shoot, even if tighter 25yd groups likely have nothing to do with self defense, hitting targets far away in practice builds confidence. If you want an optic, you can put one on that version, if you don't then leave the cover plate on there, and you give up nothing. The one thing that would make these fly off of shelves would be a tiny, reliable and sub $200 optic included, like a SA branded Holosun or fastfire with at least 3 years battery life. Optics are the future, expect them to be as common as night sights in a couple years.

jrwhitt

May 27, 2012
    I'm seeing more and more RMR's on guns these days. At Gunsite last weekend I'd say each relay of 15 had 2-3 so just under 1/3rd. These were a mix of full size service weapons and carry guns (not gaming guns).

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    View attachment 268130

don't have a pic of the hellcat with the exact same angle, or a P365 with flat mag, but this looks close, think the Hellcat front end is bulkier, maybe a hair higher grip, and a mag base parallel to the boreline, so a bit less finger room. Would have to hold both to see as they are close, really exciting times for concealed carry pistols.

The Sig looks straight up sexy while the Springfield looks like the bastard child of a Glock and a Hi-point.

And 11 rd mags are a no go for DC carry.

sinzitu

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    TN
    Jeremy - All valid points. I’ll be taking a look given the 365 has been tempting given the dimensions & capacity.

I carry an XDS regularly now and shot various Springfield (Croatian) handgun models for thousands of rounds with no issues during practice/classes/competitions. They’ve been 100% reliable.

IMO it's only direct competitor is the P365, as a < 1" <20oz subcompact doublestack around 6"x4". Most everything else is a singlestack or much heavier/thicker. The P365 was the #1 selling handgun last year, so lots of money in the segment, and this offers some things the P365 doesn't. Things are changing with carry optics too, a lot of new shooters LOVE them, a lot of seasoned shooters also love them, it makes a stubby pistol with a short sight radius easy to shoot, even if tighter 25yd groups likely have nothing to do with self defense, hitting targets far away in practice builds confidence. If you want an optic, you can put one on that version, if you don't then leave the cover plate on there, and you give up nothing. The one thing that would make these fly off of shelves would be a tiny, reliable and sub $200 optic included, like a SA branded Holosun or fastfire with at least 3 years battery life. Optics are the future, expect them to be as common as night sights in a couple years.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    This is definitely interesting to me. Ignoring political concerns about Springfield Armory for the moment, I don't think it beats the P365 for my purposes. I really like how thin the slide of the P365 is, but I like a MRDS on a pistol. Then there are QC concerns I have about Sig pistols. Who knows, I'll give it a few months and see what the non-paid advertisement reviews have to say. Maybe try to find a range that has one available to rent.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Jeremy - All valid points. I’ll be taking a look given the 365 has been tempting given the dimensions & capacity.

I carry an XDS regularly now and shot various Springfield (Croatian) handgun models for thousands of rounds with no issues during practice/classes/competitions. They’ve been 100% reliable.

I bought an Early XDs45, still have it, really like the pistol, it's been reliable, the different mag sizes with grip sleeves are really nice, and it's fairly easy to shoot. Thing is the 365 is that and so much more, definitely worth the upgrade IMO. Early models had some issues, but the revisions and recall fixed them. I've had mine around a year now, carrying it the majority of days, it had all of 2 or 3 jams with 1 ammo type within the first 200 rounds, and occasionally with lighter loads, the slide might not lock back after the last round, that it. Many of the nice things about the P365 aren't in the specs, it is smooth and rounded, or angled and textured in all the right places to carry well, and be comfortable shooting. Sights are epic, IMO the absolute best factory defensive irons on the market. The size is about as small as I can easily draw from a belt holster, and about as big as I can easily pocket carry. They nailed the spring rates on it, the trigger is just right for it's purpose, smooth, consistent, short tactile reset, and a GLOCK-ish 2 stage that has the weight/feedback to be safe and deliberate while being light and smooth enough to make it easy to shoot. The recoil spring is relatively heavy, keeps recoil with 147s and +p ammo really soft and light, at a little expense to reliably locking back on the last round with light 115s. The shape, relatively large grip area and high grip with a comfortable angle make it really easy to shoot, especially for those with smaller hands. Where I would almost NEVER recommend a small 9mm to a new shooter, the P365 is kind of an exception, every new or inexperienced shooter that has tried mine seems to like it and shoot it well. This Springer has it's work cut out to compete with the 365, but it's definitely possible, and I would love to try one out

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I am happy for the competition. 365 is a great cc weapon. My wife has it and i took over her g43 and retired my shields in 9 and 45 and g33. Really, due to size and carry ease, snd i am suprised by how well i shoot the 43. But i have been thinking about the sig for me due to capacity, trigger and sights ( mostly capacity as i have nite sites and the glock trigger is perfectly fine for its purpose). And now, maybe there will be some price competition in this segment, and if the price drops on the sigs, maybe...Suppose SA will ship to Md with 2 10 rds mags.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    got to handle a Hellcat today. Love the sites !!!! never have a seen a more visible set of sites, especially on a small compact gun ! the grip size suprised me on how small it was for both a double stack and 13 rds. the width was surprisingly thin . slide release was tucked in a bit compared to the 2.0 . to me the 2.0 is a slightly better feel to the hand.But I can see a Hellcat in my future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom