• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    The pistol frames don't even need that. I think poly80 even recommends against drill press for the pistol frames.

Edit: Ah, the good doctor is quick on the keys...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The recommendation against the drill press always confused me. I know they don't want you to drill all the way through to the other side but just cause you have a drill press, does not mean you can't control that.
    I expect they don't want you to use a drill press cause with a hand drill you can feel it break through the side easier.

They give you a milling bit which you dont even need unless you had a drill press and an xy vise or xy table. Dremmel is still easier.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The recommendation against the drill press always confused me. I know they don't want you to drill all the way through to the other side but just cause you have a drill press, does not mean you can't control that.
    I expect they don't want you to use a drill press cause with a hand drill you can feel it break through the side easier.

They give you a milling bit which you dont even need unless you had a drill press and an xy vise or xy table. Dremmel is still easier.

I have a mill. I use a dremel.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    There is another thread that squaregrouper started. Read that.
    watch ALL the marinegunbuilder youtube videos on the P80 kits.
    Lots of potential pitfalls and you really need to see the videos BEFORE you run into one.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    In addition to not drilling all the way through, I suspect the advice against using a drill press is to ensure precise locations of the holes. Using a hand drill, the bit just naturally finds its way into the hole in the jig. If you have it clamped to your drill press and are off by a few hairs, the bit may stay true to the press and, rather than follow the jig (that is plastic), just cut those few hairs out of the jig and put the hole slightly in the wrong place.

People do seem to really really want to use their drill press though :shrug:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Here's what I used:

Cordless handheld drill. (Drill on SLOW speed.)
    Box cutter. (Scribed all of the extra material on frame that needed to be cut/milled then removed material with 'nippers'.)
    Diagonal cutters. (To cut material in frame for recoil spring assembly.)

Bastard file and Mill file. (To smooth top of frame.)
    Dowel rod w/different grades of sandpaper. (To remove material and smooth area for recoil spring assembly.)

320 grit sandpaper and 400 grit sandpaper. (To smooth top of frame.)

Clover #0000 valve lapping compound. (To lap/fit frame rails to slide.)

I've done 14 of these. The ONLY one I had problems with was the one I tried to drill all the way through with a drill press. Luckily it was before POLY80 tightened up their warrantee policy. They replaced it after I proved to them I had cut the first one in half. The drill press shuttered (for lack of a better word) and the hole was slightly too large. I now use a cordless drill with a bubble level built in and haven't had an issue.

rocket1331

Jul 9, 2014
    So as mentioned, MarineGunBuilder on YouTube has a ton of videos that are pretty helpful on doing this. I did my first build a few days ago, I wanted to pick up a Dremel workstation, but of course everywhere near me did not have it in stock, and I didnt feel like waiting. Figured, plenty of people do it with a drill, and went for it. Well, the shitty drill bit that P80 provides, one broke when I was drilling the final hole, so that sucked. Aside from that, I guess I can't keep a drill straight, since some of my holes seem to be slightly uneven, where the exit on the inside of the frame is slanting a tiny bit. Now I got the locking block and rear rail to line up enough, and the pins do fit, but have to use a punch for sure. Then theres the issue with the front locking block that is absurdly tight on the frame. So I need to sand/grind it down...so maybe I fubar the thing, maybe not, it is fun though lol

gwoodburn

Feb 9, 2012
    Owings Mills, MD
    So as mentioned, MarineGunBuilder on YouTube has a ton of videos that are pretty helpful on doing this. I did my first build a few days ago, I wanted to pick up a Dremel workstation, but of course everywhere near me did not have it in stock, and I didnt feel like waiting. Figured, plenty of people do it with a drill, and went for it. Well, the shitty drill bit that P80 provides, one broke when I was drilling the final hole, so that sucked. Aside from that, I guess I can't keep a drill straight, since some of my holes seem to be slightly uneven, where the exit on the inside of the frame is slanting a tiny bit. Now I got the locking block and rear rail to line up enough, and the pins do fit, but have to use a punch for sure. Then theres the issue with the front locking block that is absurdly tight on the frame. So I need to sand/grind it down...so maybe I fubar the thing, maybe not, it is fun though lol

Before sanding anything to do with the front locking block, try putting it in the freezer for about an hour. This should shrink the metal just enough to squeeze it in the frame. You may want to try wedging something in the frame as well to widen the plastic just a bit while you try to get it in, I actually use a Sharpie. Once you get it started, you can use a mallet to hammer it in the rest of the way.

Dremel workstation is the way to go on P80s. Marinegunbuilder has a new video up showing how to do it. I've done a few frames and the last one i did without the workstation, the crap bits walked on me for the rear frame pin :mad54: P80 was going to sell me a second chance frame for $99, but I had to destroy my current frame. I filled the holes with JBweld, which matches the tactical gray frame perfectly btw, and redrilled with the workstation. Should be all good now. We'll see how long it lasts. Once all the panic buying ends, I'm sure I'll pick up another frame to replace it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My 19 P80 locking block was obsurdly wide. I first did the trick where you freeze it and then stick a hex driver into the frame to widen it. The trouble is that the frame is wider and the wider gap creates a space for the slide lock spring to slip down into. This made it so the slide lock spring would not push the slide lock back down. This will cause unwanted instances of the slide locking back on its own when firing.
    I have a belt sander and I sanded each side and straighten it until I could slip the block into it while still being a tad snug. This made it so the gap was not there and the slide lock spring did not slip into the gap.
    There is probably some variation between front blocks to the point where some are fine and others are way too wide.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Nips
    Hand Files (flat and round)
    Dremel
    Sandpaper

Marinebuilder is good but I'm not sure you need 6 hours of videos to build one. I'd watch 3 or 4 of the quick builds that other people have put on youtube. Watch marinebuilder is you want it absolutely stinking perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom