• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldBay

Apr 26, 2020
    MD
    Looking for recommended books or articles on 2A history/issues. Plenty of good titles on Amazon, but I'll take advice.

I'm new to gun ownership and trying to educate myself.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    In my opinion THE two volumes that form the core of a library of 2A volumes are, first, The Founders' View of the Right to Bear Arms by David E. Young, and, second, his The Origin of the Second Amendment: A Documentary History of the Bill of Rights 1787-1792. The second volume is a compend of texts from primary documents cited in the first volume. These volumes aren't cheap, but they're worth it. Young was cited by 23 parties filing amicus briefs in Heller--on both sides of the issue! Young's discussion is deep and broad. The historical texts quoted are invaluable. These volumes are like buying high end optics--"buy the best, cry once."

A valuable secondary volume is Stephen P. Halbrook's The Founders' Second Amendment: Origins of the Right to Bear Arms.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The Kama Sutra.

This ancient Indian Sanskrit will help you understand the self-fulfillment and emotional perversions regarding those that want to corrupt our enumerated rights.
    I would also read any anti second amendment literature that may interest you. The better you can understand the enemies of liberty the easier they may be defeated.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    "To Keep And Bear Arms," by Joyce Lee Malcolm. A very good historian, and someone who will walk you through the old English common law right to self defense and keeping of arms, and right through the founders' thinking when they wrote the 2A.

She, by the way, is "the nice girl who saved the second amendment," by providing some of the central research and documentation that helped Heller go the way it did. She's the unsung hero that helped us all dodge a huge counter-constitutional freight train if we'd lost Heller.

OldBay

Apr 26, 2020
    MD
    In my opinion THE two volumes that form the core of a library of 2A volumes are, first, The Founders' View of the Right to Bear Arms by David E. Young, and, second, his The Origin of the Second Amendment: A Documentary History of the Bill of Rights 1787-1792. The second volume is a compend of texts from primary documents cited in the first volume. These volumes aren't cheap, but they're worth it. Young was cited by 23 parties filing amicus briefs in Heller--on both sides of the issue! Young's discussion is deep and broad. The historical texts quoted are invaluable. These volumes are like buying high end optics--"buy the best, cry once."

A valuable secondary volume is Stephen P. Halbrook's The Founders' Second Amendment: Origins of the Right to Bear Arms.

Some great recommendations, thanks! Just picked up Stephen Halbrook's book. I will look to add the others as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom