• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    IMO, it is highly unethical. Crossbows are very loud and I shoot one. I would doubt any shooting lane ina woods over 40 yards as sticks move anything else can affect arrow flight heavily.

Some guys talk they would do it if they hunted fields, BUT with evena Ravin the sound is traveling 3 times faster than the arrow. We have all seen the videos of deer jumping the string on 300fps compounds at 30 yards, but somehow 400fps fixed all that with a louder bow at 50 - 100 yards. :rolleyes:

I think most guys know better and you only hear the hype from the manufacturers and few harry knucklers.

I got a buddy with an old excalibur recurve Xbow like a few guys referenced in here. He shot a buck a year back and shot through the buck and drove it 6" or more into a walnut tree. Clearly even this "old bow" has way more power than needed to do the job. The new ones are marketing to the archery itch to buy the newest and best. I am all for the flattest trajectory pitch, but marketing shots at 50 yards and more on live game with a bow of any kind is going to make a lot of crippled deer.
    Thank you for your input. Like I said, I know nothing. BrowningGuy will be helping, so I have that going for me.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thank you for your input. Like I said, I know nothing. BrowningGuy will be helping, so I have that going for me.
    The Excallibers are quieter than the compounds. I know first hand. Two friends hunt with them, and as far as I know, they're on their original strings(10+ years).

'Xguns' are still loud. One reason I won't use one.

Another important feature(if it hasn't already been mentioned) is the trigger. Think of it as a gun.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    You won’t be shooting very far... ravine is huge waste of money IMO. Kinda like buying a Ferrari for the street... it’s cool, but wasted potential.

Honestly most the crossbows today are wicked nice. Get something 350 FPS or better, with a metal (not plastic) rail.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    The Excallibers are quieter than the compounds. I know first hand. Two friends hunt with them, and as far as I know, they're on their original strings(10+ years).

'Xguns' are still loud. One reason I won't use one.

Another important feature(if it hasn't already been mentioned) is the trigger. Think of it as a gun.

I've never unstrung mine (over 10 years old). Same original string too... shoots 315fps last time I chronographed it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I got a Matrix Bulldog 440. Slightly used for $800. I’m in the buy once, cry once camp. Looking forward to trying it out. Thank you for the input, gentlemen, I can always count on MDS.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    OP,
    Congrats on your crossbow! When I lived in Maryland I thoroughly enjoyed the long archery season and generous bag limits hunting with mine.

My method to keep shots to a reasonable distance is based on the belief that deer can react to the sound of a crossbow shot in about 1/4 second. I didn't measure scientifically but read it somewhere and is consistent with my experience. The trick then becomes to figure out how far your arrow will fly in 1/4 second. I do this by dividing the bow's speed in feet/second by 3 which gives me yards/second. Then simply divide by 4 and you have the approximate distance your arrow will fly in that first 1/4 second of flight. For my crossbow that equals about 30 yards.

I have aiming references for 20, 30 and 40 yards and practice with all 3 but I do my best to set up my shots in advance so that they will be between 20-30 yards. Even if the shooter and the crossbow are capable of longer shots, it becomes increasingly likely the deer will jump the string resulting in either a miss or a wounding shot.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    OP,
    Congrats on your crossbow! When I lived in Maryland I thoroughly enjoyed the long archery season and generous bag limits hunting with mine.

My method to keep shots to a reasonable distance is based on the belief that deer can react to the sound of a crossbow shot in about 1/4 second. I didn't measure scientifically but read it somewhere and is consistent with my experience. The trick then becomes to figure out how far your arrow will fly in 1/4 second. I do this by dividing the bow's speed in feet/second by 3 which gives me yards/second. Then simply divide by 4 and you have the approximate distance your arrow will fly in that first 1/4 second of flight. For my crossbow that equals about 30 yards.

I have aiming references for 20, 30 and 40 yards and practice with all 3 but I do my best to set up my shots in advance so that they will be between 20-30 yards. Even if the shooter and the crossbow are capable of longer shots, it becomes increasingly likely the deer will jump the string resulting in either a miss or a wounding shot.
    Thank you for the great advice.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thank you for the great advice.
    Very good advice.

I'll add this; always try to aim for a heart shot(lower 1/3 of the body), especially if there is any distance involved. That way, when the deer hears the shot and begins to load its legs("ducking the arrow") in preparation to flee, you still have a good chance of a double lung shot as its body drops. You have to lose the gun habit of centering your shots on the front shoulder.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Very good advice.

I'll add this; always try to aim for a heart shot(lower 1/3 of the body), especially if there is any distance involved. That way, when the deer hears the shot and begins to load its legs("ducking the arrow") in preparation to flee, you still have a good chance of a double lung shot as its body drops. You have to lose the gun habit of centering your shots on the front shoulder.

Thanks. I have a lot to learn. My target shooting will determine how comfortable I feel pulling the trigger with an animal in my sights. Like most, I am not a fan of inhumane kills.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks. I have a lot to learn. My target shooting will determine how comfortable I feel pulling the trigger with an animal in my sights. Like most, I am not a fan of inhumane kills.
    I draw a deer front half on cardboard with a sharpie and put it in front of my archery target. I practice the heart shot constantly, to the point it becomes second nature to draw and aim there. I don't have to think about it when the time comes. It becomes automatic.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I draw a deer front half on cardboard with a sharpie and put it in front of my archery target. I practice the heart shot constantly, to the point it becomes second nature to draw and aim there. I don't have to think about it when the time comes. It becomes automatic.

That sounds like a great plan. Thanks.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville

You use fingers or a tab, because otherwise your release has a trigger? Just sayin.

I use xbow occasionally. My main dislike for them is carrying the dang thing through the woods. Cept for the newer compact ones it’s like carrying a couple 2x4’s shaped like a T. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You use fingers or a tab, because otherwise your release has a trigger? Just sayin.

I use xbow occasionally. My main dislike for them is carrying the dang thing through the woods. Cept for the newer compact ones it’s like carrying a couple 2x4’s shaped like a T. :)

I do use a mechanical release. I keep the yoke/shaft very short.when I'm ready to shoot, I slowly close my hand around my release until it goes off. That's the only "trigger" I want to surprise me.

Attachments

• 20200314_091458.jpg
      20200314_091458.jpg
      44.6 KB · Views: 202

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

You have to be cognizant of tree's and/or heaving branches around you while in a tree stand too. With a recurve styled crossbow, one of the limbs can easily impact a tree when you're releasing a bolt.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You have to be cognizant of tree's and/or heaving branches around you while in a tree stand too. With a recurve styled crossbow, one of the limbs can easily impact a tree when you're releasing a bolt.

I blew up a compound that way once. Shooting at a big 10 point almost straight down and my bottom limb hit the frame of my climber.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Doc, do you have a range finder? Once I sit at the stand I use it to find the distance to some distinct points so when deer comes you know what line in the scope reticle to choose.
    For me I found really handy the crossbow scope like Hawke when you adjust it for 20 yd and then just select the zoom which correponds to the arrow speed. So closest reticle line is for 20yd, next is for 30yd, next is for 40yd.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Doc, do you have a range finder? Once I sit at the stand I use it to find the distance to some distinct points so when deer comes you know what line in the scope reticle to choose.
    For me I found really handy the crossbow scope like Hawke when you adjust it for 20 yd and then just select the zoom which correponds to the arrow speed. So closest reticle line is for 20yd, next is for 30yd, next is for 40yd.

No, but that Hawke sounds sexy. I have one of their scopes with a reticle for .22 subs, and it’s great. I’ll take a look at the crossbow scope and range finders. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom