WHY does my background check get delayed EVERY time I buy a long gun?!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I decided to do the same thing. I have an appointment Monday to get my prints done in Bel Air at Absolute Investigtive Services. They have several offices around.

https://absoluteisi.com/2012/12/new...feJbljAsnmCYVdv_Djy3ySmnnp_cw8yxoCvAQQAvD_BwE

Scott at 1A Fingerprinting can do a Livescan roll and print on cards.
    Next door to Tyler Firearms in Lansdowne.

Thanks for the suggestions. Appreciated. :thumbsup:

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Which local police departments can handle the "rolled" fingerprint card required for the UPIN?

Baltimore County?
    Maryland State Police?

Decided to apply for the UPIN, but didn't see the fingerprint requirement. Just need to acquire and upload that.

I have odd name, one of two in the USA.
    My son being the other.
    Neither of us has any sort of current, past, or pending criminal record, activity, ex parte's, security clearances, etc...
    Both have HQL's
    Both have Designated Collector status
    Both use SSN on every gun purchase.
    He has never bought a long gun.
    I have been DELAYED on every long gun purchase I have ever made.

The Frederick County (MD) Sheriff's department does fingerprinting on paper cards but they require an appointment. Right now the fingerprinting service is only available Tuesday through Thursday during the daytime working hours. I need to get my fingerprints taken for my FL CCW and will be going there next week.

Cal68

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Mine gets delayed every, single, time. I thought it was because of the dead hooker, but I went out to the woods, and dug into it a bit, and she's still undisturbed.

But, I was told by FFLs, it was likely because someone has a similar name or something.

Maki

Jun 11, 2020
    Odenton
    Dunno if it's relevant still if you got your UPIN, but when I bought my first rifle back at the beginning of May, I was delayed, but while I was still waiting for that to go through, I bought a Henry Survival Rifle at Bass Pro and it cleared in the 20-25 minute mark. The difference being time of day that I submitted. I've had a few FFLs tell me that once you hit 1-2PM East Coast, you're almost guaranteed to get delayed because the system has all the West Coast paperwork coming through the pipeline too...Not sure if that's accurate or not, but I haven't had a problem since making my purchases pre-12 so far.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ever held a security clearance? I get delayed everytime usually takes about an hour. Not sure how true it is but someone told me its because I once held a clearance so the system shows that I've been under investigation by the fbi in the past.

1) Many people with clearances do not get delayed.

2) Unless you were going to work for the FBI, why would the FBI do the investigation?????

For most civilian agencies, OPM does the clearance investigation. A few do their own.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    No one one really knows what causes ATF delays in general. Some, who claim no background issues, have a clearance. Some with clearances never get delayed. We have one customer whose son, same name, that has had multiple drug charges. He got a UPIN. Sometimes goes right through, sometimes still gets delayed. However, even those who generally never got delayed in the past often had something called a "further review". They never knew this happened because the further review generally only added a couple minutes to the process. However, since shortly after the Covid process started, further reviews went automatically to delays. That was something pointed out by ATF back in March and April via email. That seems to continue until this day.

TechnicalTaco

MDS Supporter
    Sep 12, 2020
    Northern Calvert
    1) Many people with clearances do not get delayed.

2) Unless you were going to work for the FBI, why would the FBI do the investigation?????

For most civilian agencies, OPM does the clearance investigation. A few do their own.

So I heard this the other day when I was buying a gun from a VA FFL (VSP does the background so it didn’t make perfect sense, but I am ALWAYS delayed so I’ll believe anything at this point)

According to this guy, someone has to hold an equal clearance to look through a cleared individual. So if, say you, have a Top Secret clearance, a supervisor with a TS has to give you the go-ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So I heard this the other day when I was buying a gun from a VA FFL (VSP does the background so it didn’t make perfect sense, but I am ALWAYS delayed so I’ll believe anything at this point)

According to this guy, someone has to hold an equal clearance to look through a cleared individual. So if, say you, have a Top Secret clearance, a supervisor with a TS has to give you the go-ahead.

I doubt that. That would be if they gave out any protected information.

But saying, the clearance is active, which means you haven't done anything too bad does not require that level of person.

TechnicalTaco

MDS Supporter
    Sep 12, 2020
    Northern Calvert
    Idk, man. Just because someone has a clearance doesn’t mean they’re all law abiding citizens.

At the same time, just because someone doesn’t have a criminal record doesn’t mean they aren’t criminals.

I welcome all conspiracy theories as to why my background is always delayed lol. My quickest was almost instant when I was on active duty with a clearance. The longest took three days when I was employed as a federal LEO with a clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom