• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    So I just received a Italian Carcano M91 TS from PSA. I have started to strip it down to inspect it and clean it up. However, as I started to try and separate the barrel and receiver from the lower stock. The rear action screw towards the trigger would not budge at all. I put a little bit of lubricating oil on the top and bottom of the screw and left it over night and through the day today. I tried to unscrew it again but it would not budge still. I accidentally started to strip the (flathead) screw a little bit but I’m scared to try it more. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix it? Or know where I could take it to have it fixed?

Please see attached photos
    756815135a9734f5b36d8291798ae677.jpg

631effea14b9adfc2b88e49dd7885962.jpg

361289f29e10551ad16ce754b9c660c8.jpg

78e864e2c41331868ee0c551c4310506.jpg

2e7d87aa660257aeb8ed21260f9bf354.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Need to put a penetrating oil on it, I like Kroil. Let it sit with that on it for a night or so, get a screwdriver that fits it perfectly. Grind one to fit if needed. Should come out then.

Order a new screw if it bothers you.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Good hollow ground or precision HG screwstick, lean on it with all your ass and turn counterclockwise. Tapered blade will often get you in trouble.

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    Need to put a penetrating oil on it, I like Kroil. Let it sit with that on it for a night or so, get a screwdriver that fits it perfectly. Grind one to fit if needed. Should come out then.

Shock also helps, after penetrating oil has been sitting a day or two, get your good fitting screwdriver in the slot and give it a couple good whacks straight down with a small hammer. :party29:

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    In addition to applying penetrating oil if you can apply some heat to the area that will help the oil seep in to the male and female threads. I use a heat gun if all parts are metal but in your case with the wood stock the heat gun will damage the stock before it does any good for the fastener. I would use a hair dryer on high. This should help. I've used this method many times.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Cannot stress the importance of using the proper tool as already stated by others. Get a gunsmithing screwdriver set! Well worth the investment and will save lots of buggered screw heads.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Just ordered the gunsmithing screw driver set, and the oil should be delivered either tonight or tomorrow (screw driver set will be delivered tomorrow as well).

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Worst case scenario and the screw gets egged out from repeated attempts to free it.
    Get a large fitting screw driver and adjust it to fit the elongated screw slot.
    Remember to adjust the slotted tip to remove any taper and strike the handle with a mallet to help the kroil penetrate the frozen area. Try to tighten the screw and then anti clockwise a few times even if it doesn't seem to budge. Let the penetrating oil work even if its for a few days.
    The shorter the screw driver the better.
    Let the kroil seep in around the area where the screw is seated. Steel screws that have become rusted inside wood or a stock ferrule will require an extra bit of leverage. You need to get some kroil in there and let it work.
    Sometimes you can carefully set the rifle up to a drill press, fit a screw driver bit to the quill/chuck and then turn it by hand to get a little more leverage.
    What you don't want to do is break the head of the screw, strip out the slot or gash your thumb or the stock.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Agreed. Proper tools - always. :thumbsup:

The tang screw on that model Carcano goes up through the trigger guard. The threads at the end of the screw engage the receiver tang. That’s where the issue is. Could be dried cosmoline, rust or the screw end could be peaned in place. Kroil will take care of cosmo and rust. If the rifle was on my bench I’d try some heat at the tang/screw connection. But be careful to not to scorch the stock. A soldering iron on the screw tip may work.

Good luck.

:thumbsup:

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I'd try a cordless impact with a tight fitting bit. Part of the problem I've found is that it's hard to hold a screw driver perfectly straight and turn it at the same time. The cordless impact alleviates that. There are other tricks such as screwdrivers you can put a wrench on.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Agreed. And getting some penetrating oil and/or heat down into the threads is going to make the job easier for the impact screw driver.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'd try a cordless impact with a tight fitting bit. Part of the problem I've found is that it's hard to hold a screw driver perfectly straight and turn it at the same time. The cordless impact alleviates that. There are other tricks such as screwdrivers you can put a wrench on.

That. But you have to be POSITIVE that the bit is a perfect fit. Start with really light torque on the impact wrench.

Obvious try with the penetrating oil and proper but in a regular screw driver first.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Thanks everyone for the advice, amazon says the oil should be here tonight so as soon as I get it I will oil both sides and let it sit over night, I will try to give it a couple taps in the morning and maybe add a little more oil and let it continue to sit throughout the day and work on it some more tomorrow night. As for the cosmoline, there is definitely some really old and crusty cosmoline. When I get hone I will post photos of the bolt and rest of the rifle to show the shape of the rest of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom