• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I was reading about New York's gun laws on the NRA-ILA website and found out the state requires a person to get a handgun permit just to own a handgun. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a permit? What if someone is moving to New York and wants to bring their handguns and rifles along, are permits
    issued as a general procedure or do they usually deny permits to people moving there? This is not in reference to New York City.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I was reading about New York's gun laws on the NRA-ILA website and found out the state requires a person to get a handgun permit just to own a handgun. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a permit? What if someone is moving to New York and wants to bring their handguns and rifles along, are permits
    issued as a general procedure or do they usually deny permits to people moving there? This is not in reference to New York City.

https://www.ny.gov/services/apply-firearms-license

New York's permit scheme is an absolute infringement of 2A and is an absolute turkey shoot when it comes to getting a permit, depending on where you are going in the state.

You need to take a course, fill out forms, and then submit them to the county clerk. Then, you need to wait somewhere between 6 months to whenever, and then they may issue you your permit. Most counties, this isn't an issue, as NY is really a red state outside of NYC and about 5 other counties.

What gets weird, is that your county clerk/sheriff's office is ultimately responsible for you getting your permit processed. For example, I grew up in rural Erie County, the same county as Buffalo, so a major urban area. My dad's permit, which lists all of your currently owned handguns, took a long time to get renewed, but because he had his permit for so long (over 30 years), they gave him open carry permission. Normally, a new permit recipient doesn't get those added to their permit right off the start. However, my cousin, who lives in Wyoming county (super rural), and he got concealed and open carry from day one. Crazy thing, his concealed carry permit is good all over the state, except NYC.

Not sure what you have to do with your currently owned firearms, but the SAFE Act was absolute garbage.

My condolences of your move to such a poorly run gulag. Most of NY is pretty good, but the few areas that ruin it keep the rest of the state hostage.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Thanks for the info. My wife is thinking about Tompkins county at the south end of one of the finger lakes. House prices there are reasonable compared to what prices are like in the Washington DC area, and less than what we pay for our townhouse in Manassas. So, if someone needs a handgun permit before they buy or possess a handgun, how can they get the permit unless they already have the handgun to enter the make, model, serial number information?

Also, if someone were to get a permit to possess on premise, are they ever allowed to take the handgun to the range for a match or recreational shooting?
    In that case, wouldn't they apply for a concealed carry so they can take the
    gun to the range periodically? Is it impossible to get a concealed carry license
    without political connections in NY?
    What does someone have to say as a good reason for getting the license?

As a CCW holder in VA, this NY stuff is very backwards and looks like the product of primitive minds. People should be able to own and transport handguns for personal use, as long as it's not for crime.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    As a CCW holder in VA, this NY stuff is very backwards and looks like the product of primitive minds. People should be able to own and transport and carry handguns for personal use, as long as it's not for crime.

Fixed it for ya!

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

I got mine when I was a resident in 1976 I was also active duty USCG and now have a non-res CCW. In some ways it is better than MD as a resident as a non-resident good luck. I have to go in person to renew and it gets signed by a local judge. Each county has different rules/laws on issuing a CCW. Even with a NY CCW you cannot carry in Bufffalo, Albany and NYC. If you are moving there do not let anyone know you have pistols until you get your pistol permit. If they ask where you got them tell them they were stored out of state. Rifles and long guns are no issue, transport unloaded in a case ammo stored separately. If you drive through NJ and get stopped for any reason and the officer notices any guns of any type you go to jail as a felony.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Check with the NY State 2A community to get the low down on current practices in a particular county under consideration . They range from nearly Shall Issue to When Hell Freezes over .

I will observe than ( comparitively ) reasonably priced lake vicinity property in senic areas , are also widely available in VT, NH, and ME .

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Thanks for the info. My wife is thinking about Tompkins county at the south end of one of the finger lakes. House prices there are reasonable compared to what prices are like in the Washington DC area, and less than what we pay for our townhouse in Manassas. So, if someone needs a handgun permit before they buy or possess a handgun, how can they get the permit unless they already have the handgun to enter the make, model, serial number information?

Also, if someone were to get a permit to possess on premise, are they ever allowed to take the handgun to the range for a match or recreational shooting?
    In that case, wouldn't they apply for a concealed carry so they can take the
    gun to the range periodically? Is it impossible to get a concealed carry license
    without political connections in NY?
    What does someone have to say as a good reason for getting the license?

As a CCW holder in VA, this NY stuff is very backwards and looks like the product of primitive minds. People should be able to own and transport handguns for personal use, as long as it's not for crime.

Stay out of NY houses are cheap but property and school taxes are 3 times higher than in MD. My sister lives in a large count that is a large as the 3 SOMD counties. She has less than 30,000 people in her county and her combined taxes are over $8,000 per year. I grew up in NY it is very pretty and has lots of wilderness yet. Cities and many towns are rundown no money to keep and those counties who have nice places have high taxes. But, remember your taxes go to support NYC, Albany and Buffalo. Right now the CHICOM Red Death has everything mucked in NY. PA, ME, NH, VT are far better choices. If you are set on living there check with local County Sherriff as they run and issue the Pistol Permits.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    NY's system is one step below DC's. It's just barely legal because if you do the steps you will get it.

I have read in some of the rural NY counties can get concealed carry permits fairly easily.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Grew up in Onondaga County and know CNY very well which is Onondaga/Tompkins/Cayuga/Oneida etc. If you want to dm me for info, lemme know. Got friends in CNY who got their permits in < 2 months. I have access to the letter you'll need to send to the county Judge who signs off. You'll need to take a course which is $100. CNY for the most part is reddish. They are middle class, Kennedy-era democrats. There are many areas, especially rural that are full on Trump country. The Ds have run NYS into the ground. Villages like Ithaca (Cornell/Ithaca College) are liberal cesspools. Folks smartened up and took the red pill in the last 7-10 years. Just understand prop taxes are super high. IE - 400k house will have ~ $17k tax bill.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    A buddy of mine lives in Plattsburgh. His house was 1/3 the cost of mine. He pays nearly identical property taxes almost to the dollar that i do.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the info. The property taxes sound really bad. My wife has a friend who lives in Ithaca and is an associate professor at the university, so she's planning to move there after seeing how nice the area is just north of the city. I get dragged along and I hope to bring my guns with me. $17K tax bill for a $400k house is really bad.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Thanks everyone for the info. The property taxes sound really bad. My wife has a friend who lives in Ithaca and is an associate professor at the university, so she's planning to move there after seeing how nice the area is just north of the city. I get dragged along and I hope to bring my guns with me. $17K tax bill for a $400k house is really bad.

Wow....its about a 1k tax bill for a 200k house in Berkeley County WV. I feel for you.

Pope414

I lived in NYC 35 years ago & it was a nightmare...not only was a pistol permit almost impossible ..every one of my rifles and shotguns required its own registration...leaving nyc after getting married was the best move ever. when my father in law passed the police were at the house within 48 hours looking for his rifles.. thank goodness I had already removed them out of state while he was in hospice

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    upstate ny is better than the city for long arms ...nyc was like living in Moscow for firearms owners/hunters

True, except for the bigger cities. Rochester's Monroe County is tough; a mile outside the county line, easy peasy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom