• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03gsxr1000

Speed Demon
    Jul 4, 2010
    I was just ready to buy a new 12ga shotgun at the store but was unable to do so. Larry hogan said my ID, which expired 5 days ago, would be valid until the state of COVID emergency was over. Well, The emergency is not over and the store clerk would not process the transaction due to my expired ID. What are my options? I can’t buy a gun until the MVA allows me to make an appointment? The next available appointment is the end of OCTOBER!!! Can’t renew, can’t buy, can’t exercise my rights? There’s got to be another way!

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    I was just ready to buy a new 12ga shotgun at the store but was unable to do so. Larry hogan said my ID, which expired 5 days ago, would be valid until the state of COVID emergency was over. Well, The emergency is not over and the store clerk would not process the transaction due to my expired ID. What are my options? I can’t buy a gun until the MVA allows me to make an appointment? The next available appointment is the end of OCTOBER!!! Can’t renew, can’t buy, can’t exercise my rights? There’s got to be another way!

Do you have a passport or some other form of ID?

Maybe the store thinks it is a Federal thing, maybe they just don't want to be bent over the knee of the state.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Do you have a passport or some other form of ID?

Maybe the store thinks it is a Federal thing, maybe they just don't want to be bent over the knee of the state.

Not valid for purchasing a firearm

The government issued ID must have a photograph, address, birth date, signature, and of course an expiration date IIRC.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Not valid for purchasing a firearm

The government issued ID must have a photograph, address, birth date, signature, and of course an expiration date IIRC.

Funny, but my passport has all of those things, and has been used successfully.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Find another FFL

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    That happened to me some years back at an auction. When I was ready to fill out the 4473 and pay the total the guy doing the transfers couldn't do it as my divers license was nine months expired! My own fault...MVA never notified me about renewing but it says right on the MVA website it's my job to know when my license is expiring. I was able to renew it so problem at the MVA...if it was over twelve months expired I would have had to take driver ed again. I was able to pick up the rifle or rifles I was buying...just had to go to the FFL holders place of business with a current drivers license.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The next available appointment is the end of OCTOBER!!!!

Dang, my license expires in early October, come to think of it. I need my birth certificate to renew, don't I? I have that, no problem, but I have to make an appointment? As in take off work? That's ridiculous. Sounds like I should get on it. Anything else I need to know?

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020
    Mine has been expired since April, I have to go in to renew. I have bought 2 hand guns and a few rifles since July with no issue.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I live in MD and have DE address. The Authorities notified me by mail that my current DL according to state law has to reflect my actual address. They were even kind enough to send a new license with the letter. I appreciated the gesture but the new DL still had my DE address on it.

I contacted them on the web and they provided an appointment. It has already been rescheduled once. Im supposed to bring a utility bill, county land tax bill and SS card in original form.

The first two documents have a DE address on them.
    So does the deed to my house and every legal document I have.
    I asked the nice lady to provide me with a code statuette or other official form of reference regarding the new law and they couldn't provide it to me.

When I pressed her a little more she informed, they (DMV) would contact the post office and notify them to continue to deliver mail to my house.

Whaaaa?
    Gee, thanks for the comp and ongoing and never ending continuous improvement.

I pressed again asking what would be the town reflected on the documents? SHe implied a town actually located in DE but the state would be identified as MD.

It's an entirely fictional location, which I think, as far as I know make me an illegal firearms purchaser on the 4473 for intentionally providing incorrect information?

I might just go over to Georgetown and go full DE ID. F)*_em in case they take my license or something.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

Pick a different MVA to renew at. I made my appointment 30 days out for an alternate one, and once I got there for the appointment loved it. I was in and out of the building in under 20 minutes for new DL/Real ID.

duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    Damn, I just put my info in to see when the next available appointment was in Anne Arundel and got 10/20. God Speed! Try a passport and a printout of the state mandate that says you don't have to renew? Or another FFL?

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I live in MD and have DE address. The Authorities notified me by mail that my current DL according to state law has to reflect my actual address. They were even kind enough to send a new license with the letter. I appreciated the gesture but the new DL still had my DE address on it.

I contacted them on the web and they provided an appointment. It has already been rescheduled once. Im supposed to bring a utility bill, county land tax bill and SS card in original form.

The first two documents have a DE address on them.
    So does the deed to my house and every legal document I have.
    I asked the nice lady to provide me with a code statuette or other official form of reference regarding the new law and they couldn't provide it to me.

When I pressed her a little more she informed, they (DMV) would contact the post office and notify them to continue to deliver mail to my house.

Whaaaa?
    Gee, thanks for the comp and ongoing and never ending continuous improvement.

I pressed again asking what would be the town reflected on the documents? SHe implied a town actually located in DE but the state would be identified as MD.

It's an entirely fictional location, which I think, as far as I know make me an illegal firearms purchaser on the 4473 for intentionally providing incorrect information?

I might just go over to Georgetown and go full DE ID. F)*_em in case they take my license or something.
    How do you you have a Delaware as dress and live in Maryland? Is to your property on the border with the street in front of your house is in Delaware and your house is in Maryland? Just wondering. I was looking at some houses on the border on google earth.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    My passport does not have residence. Nowhere does it say Maryland. Are you sure you’re not looking at place of birth as state address?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Op, what kind of shotgun? There’s always a couple in the classifieds here. I don’t think a fellow MDS’er will be so anal about your license.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    How do you you have a Delaware as dress and live in Maryland? Is to your property on the border with the street in front of your house is in Delaware and your house is in Maryland? Just wondering. I was looking at some houses on the border on google earth.

Not right on the border but close, mine is a east west scenario but you may be thinking of Delmar which is a north south situation.

When I make a firearm purchase on the Federal form, I use DE as state of residence- county (Dorchester)

The state line thing is a long standing dispute going back to the colonies and original land grants that's never really been settled, just minimized to a certain area.

I surmise DE the first state, wanted bay side land use and access to navigation (Nanticoke river) for commerce plus a straight line over towards Taylor's Island/Hoopersville then on to the District.

Someone eventually walked it out and then it turned into a big argument like hunting property boundaries are continually disputed to this day.

Its also a problem when you need hi speed internet,want to use a mobile phone or a GPS in your vehicle, sometimes 911 or the firehouse pager. Follow Larry's lock down orders
    Push snow, buy a gun out of the area, insure assets, get certain mail etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom