• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    yea, I always wait for my license to expire and then go buy firearms..... really?
    Did you forget your birthday? blame yourself, not a FFL who has to follow federal rules.
    The state extension is for being pulled over, not a blanket excuse.
    c'mon man

Since you don't live in Maryland, let me give you a clue....ALL of our MVA offices have been closed up until a couple of weeks ago. How the hell would you suggest someone renew their driver's license when the MVA office closed, genius???

That might be why our Governor, has extended all licenses and permit 30 days past the end of the state of emergency, whenever he declares that.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    MVA in Glen Burnie was open early on (May or earlier) and was taking appointments for special things like lost drivers license. I had an appointment June 4th. They opened up many other branches in mid June. At that point you could make an appointment to get the new DL/real ID.

03gsxr1000

Speed Demon
    Jul 4, 2010
    I've passed a background check from an FFL with nothing more than my expired license (because of COVID.) Then the other time my license was too expired so I gave him my non-expired passport and expired license. It depends on the dealer TBH. Proof of residency doesn't have to be identification per se. Don't utility bills count?

The location i was buying at I will admit with great shame. I would normally omit this seller from gun shopping. But i was looking at ammo safes and the blue A400 caught my eye and impulsed straight to “wrap it up, I’ll take it”. ....Dicks sporting goods...
    Says it all

03gsxr1000

Speed Demon
    Jul 4, 2010
    yea, I always wait for my license to expire and then go buy firearms..... really?
    Did you forget your birthday? blame yourself, not a FFL who has to follow federal rules.
    The state extension is for being pulled over, not a blanket excuse.
    c'mon man

Yes, like i waited. *sarcasm* Let me tell you i went to the mva to renew prior to expiration. 6 months early mind you. I was told they can make my real ID, but i would need to renew it again once it actually expired due to real ID ********. So i waited SINCE THEN COVID HAPPENED. Now i want you attempt to set foot into the Mva. Before you flap your gums and look silly, get all the details. You are not omnipotent and people are in very different situations. Shit ain’t normal these days

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Um, NO. You may own property in several states, but federally only one is your state of residence, and the only one you can lawfully purchase a handgun in.

You are incorrect.

[18 U.S.C. 921(b), 922(a) (3), and 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.11]

If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    It will be the one you claim as residence provided your live there enough days to claim residence there.

Thanks sxs, this is what I presumed as one possibility prior to even reading this thread. Thanks to all you other folks who also added explanations to me. I already have a slightly complex living arrangement in that I was born in Ohio but got moved to Marylandistan in the 60's since 1966 or so. At 30, I bought a house in Carroll County. Then, back about 10 years ago I bought a mobile home in Daytona Beach and finally I now live in Baltimore County with my fiancee.

My ideal would be to move to Daytona but sadly that won't be likely till my retirement days. BUT I do have a number of advantages should I be able to " reside" in Daytona for 183 days of the year.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    According a the post from pinecone

[18 U.S.C. 921(b), 922(a) (3), and 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.11]

If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State.

This makes the most sense to me and is how I would feel the Constitution allows for. It would really suck to be " stuck" in one state of one's home and not be able to buy a handgun there but have to travel halfway across the country to buy a gun in one's " other" residence, then go through the transport and paperwork to then take it to his other home elsewhere.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You guys know that the MVA is open again, right? Has been for more than a month, IIRC. I got my realID compliant driver's license back in mid-August, replacing my previous expired-but-not-really driver's license. Didn't even take them too long to mail it out.

This doesn't solve the OP's problem per se, but it might behoove you to try to schedule your appointment in so you don't need to argue with dumb FFLs who don't know the law.

tablades

Mar 30, 2018
    Eastern shore Native
    Dicks sporting goods is the only one I have seen doing this. Bass pro shop attaches a copy of the executive order to the paperwork and selects tomorrow’s date I believe. My local FFL told me they received a call from the powers to be that said they could do this process for any license that expired after 3/9/20.

Dicks would not budge on it...

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    I was just ready to buy a new 12ga shotgun at the store but was unable to do so. Larry hogan said my ID, which expired 5 days ago, would be valid until the state of COVID emergency was over. Well, The emergency is not over and the store clerk would not process the transaction due to my expired ID. What are my options? I can’t buy a gun until the MVA allows me to make an appointment? The next available appointment is the end of OCTOBER!!! Can’t renew, can’t buy, can’t exercise my rights? There’s got to be another way!

1. Pay for the gun if you want it that bad and then have them hold it for you until you get our license renewed.

2. Speak with the owner, not just the clerk, and see why they won't accept your license when they state said they have to bc ITS NOT EXPIRED per executive order. If they say that's not good enough, take off your mask then and there and ask them why they are wearing a mask if executive order isn't good enough.

3. Go to another store, tell them about it and if not a problem, buy from them.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    As I said in my reply post, if the Hogan's executive order stating the license is not expired isn't good enough for them, then ask them why the HELL they're wearing masks?

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    Dicks sporting goods is the only one I have seen doing this. Bass pro shop attaches a copy of the executive order to the paperwork and selects tomorrow’s date I believe. My local FFL told me they received a call from the powers to be that said they could do this process for any license that expired after 3/9/20.

Dicks would not budge on it...

The name fits with that store. I am shocked anyone still shops there. Go elsewhere.

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    The location i was buying at I will admit with great shame. I would normally omit this seller from gun shopping. But i was looking at ammo safes and the blue A400 caught my eye and impulsed straight to “wrap it up, I’ll take it”. ....Dicks sporting goods...
    Says it all

DICKS???!!! Oh hell, walk. They want to get out of the firearm business. See if your LGS or favorite FFL could get if for you.

OR....maybe your wife/girlfriend/life partner might like the shotgun and can buy it for themselves with an un-expired license if they want it that bad.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    This COVID thing made me carry car insurance for 3 months on a car I didn't own anymore. Mostly because I do not trust MVA drop boxes for tags. I had to wait until they opened locations to return tags so I did not get hit with a possible violation when I removed insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom