• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NoMoreTreadingOnUs

Apr 2, 2013
    Garrett County
    I’ve searched this forum but am still unclear on MD law pertaining to 80% handguns, i.e. once I build it, do I need to go through the HQL process and register the gun? I am aware of past efforts in the GA to ban these “ghost guns”, but my question pertains to current law. I had assumed that the answer was “no”, but I had a conversation with someone yesterday who argued that the purchase of the kit is legal but as soon as the build is complete it becomes a regulated firearm in MD.

Any input would be appreciated.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The HQL is required to purchase a handgun, not manufacture one. Assuming you are old enough and not otherwise prohibited, you're fine.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you decide at some point, you want to sell it, you will have to serialize it and I'm pretty sure you would also have to possess an HQL.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If you decide at some point, you want to sell it, you will have to serialize it and I'm pretty sure you would also have to possess an HQL.

You wouldn’t need an HQL to sell it, you would have to serialize it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Anything referred to by the number " 80 " contains distilled resin of poison Ivy , and should be avoided at all costs .

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

WRONG on both points...

The ATF only requires manufactures and importers to put serial numbers on firearms they sell. Not a citizen that built a firearm for personal use, and then decides to sell it.

The HQL is only needed to PURCHASE an firearm, not sell one.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    WRONG on both points...

The ATF only requires manufactures and importers to put serial numbers on firearms they sell. Not a citizen that built a firearm for personal use, and then decides to sell it.

The HQL is only needed to PURCHASE an firearm, not sell one.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Apparently, everything I've read and heard up to this point was wrong. :thumbsup:

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    Ok, so now I have a question. I understand that you do not, per ATF, need a serial number to sell an 80 percent that you have built, but, does it need a serial number in order for you to buy it in the utopia of Maryland? How does the handgun roster come into play?

Thanks

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ok, so now I have a question. I understand that you do not, per ATF, need a serial number to sell an 80 percent that you have built, but, does it need a serial number in order for you to buy it in the utopia of Maryland? How does the handgun roster come into play?

Thanks
    Miss understood the question...

Last edited:

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

Thanks

You can't buy a pistol in MD that isn't on the roster. So if you wanted to sell your P80 build, it would have to go to a dealer who would send it to a partner out of state, or list it on Gunbroker.

An unbuilt kit isn't a handgun, so no rules apply. You buy it and do your thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom