• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    Hey all, anyone know of places around Carroll Co to ride ATVs? Trying to convince a friend to bring her ATV home from WV so we'd have more reason to get one :D

ESP

Nov 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I am not aware of any public land in MD for ORV. You need to look for private clubs on private land. In any case, the Hatfield McCoy trails in WV are awesome. Maybe you can take your ORV to her place?

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    Central MD is terrible for public atv trails. I know of none. Horse trails and hiking trails all over the place, but no respect for dirtbikes. Then people wonder why there's much trouble with people trespassing to ride or riding in the streets. Not saying it's OK, but people need a place to go.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Baltimore City streets are the place to go. Plenty of "trails". Lots of people to ride with and learn to hang 10 block wheelies from.

Bonus: the cops won't chase you.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    I am not aware of any public land in MD for ORV. You need to look for private clubs on private land. In any case, the Hatfield McCoy trails in WV are awesome. Maybe you can take your ORV to her place?

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

no worries. We only get to go out to their family place once or twice a year, so not really worth spending the money on an atv. But if we had the opportunity to go more often, maybe the wife wouldn't divorce me should I come home with one ;) Can't hide an ATV in the gun safe...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The reason that I * usta * own ATV s . ( Generally , not Carroll specific ) . Other than driving on your own property , just " traditional dirt bike usage " areas , but nothing explicitly Legal with significant trailering such to require an entire day effort .

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Central MD is terrible for public atv trails. I know of none. Horse trails and hiking trails all over the place, but no respect for dirtbikes. Then people wonder why there's much trouble with people trespassing to ride or riding in the streets. Not saying it's OK, but people need a place to go.

If they want to ride bad enough............ road trip or move. There is no law or obligation to build trails or tracks at tax payer expense.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I thought there was a thread a year or so ago regarding new atv trails in western md.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I thought there was a thread a year or so ago regarding new atv trails in western md.

yeah, st johns rock in western maryland, but that's prob 3 hours from the op. it's basically one trail (basically logging road) straight out and back. there are some shorter trails off that, that i haven't tried but they sound short and rocky. oh and to get to the trailhead/parking area, you have to go like a mile on a narrow dirt road and God forbid if someone is coming out, because one of you is backing way back.

for some unknown reason they saw to it to throw down a bunch of gravel on the trail which pretty much sucks for dirt bikes.

i have two dirtbikes and two quads and they basically never get ridden other than laps around the yard as there is pretty much nothing around.

couple of buds and i are going up to marienville pa week after next, about 75 miles of trails mostly like logging roads, but that's a solid 5 hours away.

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    found a few places to ride out in Western MD, but that's just as far as their place in WV, so no point in them bringing it back here. Guess I'll just have to wait until we get a place out at DCL

deathracer

Feb 14, 2010
    Michauex State Forest in Pa just North of Gettysburg is a good place to ride, over 40miles of trails. Also WolfDen in Western MD, but a drive. Both public.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    no worries. We only get to go out to their family place once or twice a year, so not really worth spending the money on an atv. But if we had the opportunity to go more often, maybe the wife wouldn't divorce me should I come home with one ;) Can't hide an ATV in the gun safe...

Sounds like you need a bigger safe!:lol2::lol2:

For more guns of course!:innocent0

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Meanwhile where I live in PA, it's normal to do 50 to 100 mile days. Riding on highways when you need to get to other trails, and stopping at every and any bar restaurant along the way
    8c4e9878056644c2c3fd57890eabebc3.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Wv just made it legal to tag and ride sxs and atv on all roads except multi lane highways.

It is a game changer. I use my SxS, 2020 Xp1000 rocks and trails package (the FDE and Black in the picture) as a 2nd vehicle. I might get a turn signal package for it and horn. I dunno. There are a zillion miles of trails around me. We are mostly crossing highways or just short jaunts to catch trailheads from one to another.
    It's awesome seeing young kids on their ATVs all kitted up with Dad at gas stations heading out for the weekend. Literally a lifestyle up here.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    There are a zillion miles of trails around me. We are mostly crossing highways or just short jaunts to catch trailheads from one to another.

what town(s) and trail system names are these? are they formal (legal etc) trials or just informal? dirt bikes allowed or used? do you need stickers, tags, etc? thanks

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    what town(s) and trail system names are these? are they formal (legal etc) trials or just informal? dirt bikes allowed or used? do you need stickers, tags, etc? thanks

Up in Northeast PA. There is one trail system, the O&W. It "requires" a $50 permit. That's for an 11 mile trail. However, that trail feeds into many other non private property trails which aren't regulated per say. I can't even give you names of the other trails because I don't even know if they have a name.

But if you search Simpson/ Forest City,PA up to Orson, through Poyntelle and up 10 miles to Hancock,NY. Easily a 10-15 mile radius from Orson, there isn't anywhere you couldn't go on a Quad or SxS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom