• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Up for debate in the PA House judiciary comittee Thursday 11-19 is HB40, a fairly solid castle doctrine law. It would not only benefit Pennsylvania residents, but will directly benefit any MDer who works, shops, hikes, or even just visits PA, carrying a firearm or not. It also can provide some momentum in the region when MD's civil castle doctrine bill comes up next year. Being this bill will hopefully pass in a neighboring blue state, the results will give us some ammo in passing a similar bill in MD(Myself and several others here have lobbied for a MD castle doctrine for the last couple years). I have continued to work hard for gun rights in MD, but have since gotten involved in the right movement in PA, being I live here now. I think that it is important that we all do what we can to help out our neighboring states as VCDL and MSI have worked together with great success, and as a regional RKBA force we are more powerful than the independent state governments we seek to influence.

PAFOA phone campaign thread

Some highlights of the bill:
    The bill eliminates the duty to retreat within one's home, including attached structures like porches, decks and patios. There is an exception for people who are using their property to further a criminal activity. The provision also applies to vehicles, including non-motorized vehicles.

The bill also eliminates the duty to retreat on the streets provided one is in fear of grave bodily injury or harm, and provided they are not engaged in criminal activity.

It provides civil immunity for actions that are ruled self-defense. If the perpetrator sues anyway, it's a loser pays system, so you can recover attorneys fees.

HB40 clarifies the definition of unloaded firearm to include magazines being secured in a separate pouch, rather than specifying a separate container, provided the magazine is secure, and the ammunition covered.

text of the bill

This bill is being pushed hard by the NRA, and pushed aggainst by the Brady campaign, where handing a loss to the Bradys, and building momentum aggainst pro-criminal politicians helps all of us. I have called, written and e-mailed the members of the comittee, as have a few other PAFOA members, but every contact in support of this bill helps, and that is where the board comes in. The e-mail system for the Democrats is a royal pita to use, you have to go to their home page, fill out the form, and send it out, I called them, and if I got a "undecided" or "not supporting it" response, I wrote them too. I called and e-mailed the Republicans, and it look like all are supporting this. I know time is precious, so even if you can only call a single democrat rep, it will help. Thanks to everyone that helps out:thumbsup:

State Rep. Thomas Caltagirone (D-127) (717) 787-3525 e-mail

State Rep. Deberah Kula (D-52) (717) 772-1858 e-mail

State Rep. Kathy Manderino (D-194) (717) 787-1254 e-mail

State Rep. John Pallone (D-54) (717) 783-1819 e-mail

State Rep. Don Walko (D-20) (717) 787-5470 e-mail

State Rep. Joseph Brennan (D-133) (717) 772-9902 e-mail

State Rep. James Casorio (D-56) (717) 783-3483 e-mail

State Rep. Paul Drucker (D-157) (717) 705-2003 e-mail

State Rep. Bryan Lentz (D-161) (717) 787-8574e-mail

State Rep. Joseph Petrarca (D-55) (717) 787-5142 e-mail

State Rep. Josh Shapiro (D-153) (717) 783-7619 e-mail

State Rep. Greg Vitali (D-166) (717) 787-7647 e-mail

State Rep. Chelsa Wagner (D-22) (717) 783-1582 e-mail

State Rep. Ronald Waters (D-191) (717) 772-9850 e-mail

State Rep. Jesse White (D-46) (717) 783-6437 e-mail

State Rep. Ron Marsico (R-105) (717) 783-2014

State Rep. Mike Vereb (R-150) (717) 705-7164

State Rep. Tom Creighton (R-37) (717) 772-5290

State Rep. Will Gabig (R-199) (717) 772-2280

State Rep. Dick Stevenson (R-8) (717) 783-6438

State Rep. Glen Grell (R-87) (717) 783-2063

State Rep. Kate Harper (R-61) (717) 787-2801

State Rep. Tim Krieger (R-57) (717) 260-6146

State Rep. Bernie O'Neill (R-29) (717) 705-7170

State Rep. Todd Rock (R-90) (717) 783-5218

State Rep. Katie True (R-41) (717) 705-7161

the republican members are much easier to e-mail, simply copy these addresses into the adress line, and you send it to all 11

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I can't make it to Delmarva tomorrow, so I'll send some electrons along for you.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thanks for the help:thumbsup:

I got stuck working tomorrow, and can't get out of it, so I won't be at the shoot either:(, so looks like another round of e-mails tomorrow, and some calls during the week. It seems like most of the commitee member's offices have been bombarded with hundreds of calls, especially being the NRA has done a good job of spreading the word on this. Hopefully I can make it up to Harrisburg on Thursday and do some boots on the ground work during the hearing.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Sunday morning bump. For those of you not used to writing letters to a legislature, this is an excellent chance to sharpen your quill before the MD General Assembly begins.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Any update on how this turned out?

So far, supposedly the hearing went well(unfortunately got called into work and coudn't go:(), but no action has been taken on the bill, and there is a lot of public support for it. Still calling random Dem members of the comittee every couple days till they vote on it, or the session is over. So far no replies to my e-mails or letters, but I wil keep everyone posted last time I sent out a few letters for the PA state parks CCW bill, it took about 3 months to get the first couple of canned response letters back, that's representation:rolleyes:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Keep us posted. I sent some e-mails, but I have of course heard nothing back yet.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    First response received back, from Will Gabig(R) 199th dist Carlisle, PA about 15 min ago

Thank you for your e-mail expressing your support for House Bill 40. Due to the volume of correspondence I have received on this issue, I am unable to reply to each of you individually. However, I want to assure you of my support for the bill. I have supported similar bills in the past, and I support this bill as well.

If you are a resident in my district, please contact my district office directly at (717) 249-1990 for further information.

Sincerely,

Will Gabig
    State Representative
    199th Legislative District

Word on the street and PAFOA is that everyone on the comittee is being BOMBARDED by calls, letters and e-mails. I have been basically focussing my calls on the Democrats after my first slavo of e-mails to everyone, being I can't get a response or straight answer out of them, and they are more likely to go aggainst this, especially the couple from Philly. This bill has more than 110 co-sponsors in the house now, and was introduced by my York county Rep Scott Perry(Woot!), and is almost guaranteed to pass as long as the comittee votes to send it to the floor, and it can clear the same process in the senate, and a likely override of our POS governeors veto.

Thanks for the help, and keep up the good work:thumbsup:

Ill keep a running tally of those I can confirm are supporting or opposing this, kinda hard to do being most just have their secretary give a "the representative will consider your opinion" answer on the phone, and so far only 1 e-mail response

State Rep. Thomas Caltagirone (D-127) (717) 787-3525 e-mail

State Rep. Deberah Kula (D-52) (717) 772-1858 e-mail

State Rep. Kathy Manderino (D-194) (717) 787-1254 e-mail

State Rep. John Pallone (D-54) (717) 783-1819 e-mail

State Rep. Don Walko (D-20) (717) 787-5470 e-mail

State Rep. Joseph Brennan (D-133) (717) 772-9902 e-mail

State Rep. James Casorio (D-56) (717) 783-3483 e-mail

State Rep. Paul Drucker (D-157) (717) 705-2003 e-mail

State Rep. Bryan Lentz (D-161) (717) 787-8574e-mail

State Rep. Joseph Petrarca (D-55) (717) 787-5142 e-mail

State Rep. Josh Shapiro (D-153) (717) 783-7619 e-mail

State Rep. Greg Vitali (D-166) (717) 787-7647 e-mail

State Rep. Chelsa Wagner (D-22) (717) 783-1582 e-mail

State Rep. Ronald Waters (D-191) (717) 772-9850 e-mail

State Rep. Jesse White (D-46) (717) 783-6437 e-mail

State Rep. Ron Marsico (R-105) (717) 783-2014

State Rep. Mike Vereb (R-150) (717) 705-7164 Supports:thumbsup:

State Rep. Tom Creighton (R-37) (717) 772-5290 co-sponsor:thumbsup:

State Rep. Will Gabig (R-199) (717) 772-2280 Supports:thumbsup:

State Rep. Dick Stevenson (R-8) (717) 783-6438 co-sponsor:thumbsup:

State Rep. Glen Grell (R-87) (717) 783-2063 co-sponsor:thumbsup:

State Rep. Kate Harper (R-61) (717) 787-2801

State Rep. Tim Krieger (R-57) (717) 260-6146 Supports:thumbsup:

State Rep. Bernie O'Neill (R-29) (717) 705-7170

State Rep. Todd Rock (R-90) (717) 783-5218 co-sponsor:thumbsup:

State Rep. Katie True (R-41) (717) 705-7161 co-sponsor:thumbsup:

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Update, summary of the hearing, still no action by the comittee on the bill

House Judiciary Committee
    10:00 a.m., 11/19/09, Room 140 Main Capitol Building
    By Jeff Cox and Sean Rossman, PLS Intern

The committee conducted a public hearing on legislation expanding of the castle doctrine.

HB 40 Perry - (PN 32) Amends Titles 18 (Crimes & Offenses) and 42 (Judiciary) further stipulating, in general principles of justification, certain circumstances and situations in which protective and/or deadly force is justified. The bill provides for presumptions of intent, for reasonable belief, for exceptions, for definitions and inconsistencies, and for public officers outlines justifications for the use of force in the performance of duty.

Committee members present included Chairman Thomas Caltagirone (D-Berks), Minority Chairman Ron Marsico (R-Dauphin) and Representatives Thomas Creighton (R-Lancaster), Paul Drucker (D-Chester), Will Gabig (R-Cumberland) Glen Grell (R-Cumberland), Kate Harper (R-Montgomery), Deberah Kula (D-Fayette), Kathy Manderino (D-Philadelphia), Todd Rock (R-Franklin), Richard Stevenson (R-Mercer) and Ronald Waters (D-Philadelphia). Also in attendance were Representatives Karen Boback (R-Luzerne), Scott Hutchinson (R-Venango), John Payne (R-Dauphin), RoseMarie Swanger (R-Lebanon), Will Tallman (R-Adams), Mike Turzai (R-Allegheny), Brendan Boyle (D-Philadelphia) and Tim Seip (D-Schuylkill),

Joe Grace, executive director of CeaseFirePA, expressed opposition to the legislation and described it as "an unjustified, unnecessary expansion of existing Pennsylvania law." According to Grace, the Pennsylvania law "already includes the castle doctrine, relieving residents of the duty to retreat before using deadly force to protect their homes from intruders." He argued the legislation will make it harder for police and for prosecutors to do their jobs. Grace testified, "If we remove the duty to retreat for individuals and expand that zone outside a person's home to include their front porch, their deck, their lawn, all the way down to the corner, it will make domestic situations more hazardous - and potentially deadlier - for police." He concluded that the legislation is "a solution in search of a problem and we respectfully ask this committee to oppose this bill as unwise, unneeded policy that is dangerous for our citizens and out police."

Richard Gray, mayor of the city of Lancaster, joined Grace in expressing opposition to the proposal. Mayor Gray noted that missing in HB 40 is which party in a self-defense case has the burden of proof. He said self-defense is an affirmative defense, and that it's important, when dealing with affirmative offenses in criminal court, that once the defense is raised the commonwealth must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the action was not self defense. The defense does not have to prove that the action was a reasonable use of force. He admitted that the commonwealth's burden of "proving a negative" is a daunting task.

The law, said Mayor Gray, would allow people who knowingly have the ability to retreat with complete safety to elect to use deadly force.

Stipulations in HB 40, including defining a person's porch and lawn part of their "dwelling" and defining a vehicle as "a conveyance of any kind whether or not motorized which is designated to transport people or property," may be overbroad as these may be used as defense methods by defense attorneys. He called the bill a "defense attorney's dream."

The bill would make it more difficult for the state to effectively prosecute homicide defendants, he also argued.

John Hohenwarter, representing the National Rifle Association of America, testified in support of the legislation. He told committee members, "This important piece of legislation restores rights that have been eroded or taken away by a judicial system that currently gives preferential treatment to criminals and forces judges and prosecutors to focus on protecting victims." Hohenwarter argued, "It is unreasonable that victims of crime should have to worry about being arrested or prosecuted if they are required to use force to defend themselves or their families. Any victim should be able to presume that an unlawful attacker or forcible intruder is there for the purpose of doing harm." According to Hohenwarter, "This measure will reinstate the law prior to the time when criminal-coddling judges and courts started putting the rights of criminals before the rights of the law-abiding."

Minority Chairman Marsico asked Hohenwarter which states have passed similar legislation. Hohenwarter named 24 states that have passed legislation similar to HB 40. He added that there were some states that already had enacted laws that dealt with the issues to be addressed in HB 40. The 24 states to adopt legislation had "inadequate" legislation before they adopted their respective laws. Pennsylvania, he said, is one of a few states not to pass legislation of this kind.

Rep. Stevenson alluded to Mayor Gray's affirmation that HB 40 is an "attorney's dream" and would propose unintended consequences. Hohenwarter denounced the statement as "anti-gun rhetoric and hyperbole." On the statement of unintended consequences he admitted that the 24 newly adapted states had seen problems but that they were not problems relating to increased violence but to prosecutors and lower courts not honoring the law.

Rep. Gabig noted that the Pennsylvania District Attorney's Association has issues with HB 40 and oppose it. He added that many district attorneys are in favor of the second amendment and other gun rights. He asked Hohenwarter, as representative of the NRA, if he shares the rhetoric he housed earlier that the DPAA is "anti-self-defense" despite most DAs seeming to be on the side of gun-rights. Hohenwarter responded that he does not feel that all of them are anti-self-defense but feels that there certainly are some district attorneys that are anti-self-defense. Hohenwarter said that "a lot of the problems we've had in Pennsylvania have been caused by overzealous prosecutors," in reference to prosecutors using self-defense laws to win cases over self-defense defendants.

The NRA often endorses district attorneys, said Rep. Gabig, and some of those NRA endorsed district attorneys may oppose this bill but may not be anti-self-defense.

Rep. Drucker asked which district attorneys are anti-self-defense to which Hohenwarter said the hearing was "not the time and place" to disseminate that information.

Kim Stolfer, chairman of the Legislative Committee of the Allegheny County Sportsmen's League and vice chairman of the Legislative Committee of the Pennsylvania Sportsmen's Association, also expressed support for the legislation. He argued that the legislation does the following: establishes, in law the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, therefore a person may use force, including deadly force, against that person; modifies the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have the right to be; provides that persons using force authorized by law shall not be prosecuted for using such force; and provides "civil immunity" against unfounded frivolous lawsuits filed by criminals and/or their families for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them, including police officers. According to Stolfer, the bill "does not eliminate the duty to retreat and neither does it eliminate Pennsylvania Use of Force laws despite the deceptive protestations of the Pennsylvania District Attorney's Association and other anti-self defense organizations."

Alluding to Stolfer's statements on police officers being killed, Rep. Drucker asked what the connection is between that statement and HB 40. Stolfer said that his statement was that recidivist criminals had been the killers of the police officers. Rep. Drucker asked if he thought had HB 40 been enacted would the killings have been prevented. Stolfer responded that in his statement he was attempting to highlight that violent criminals target trained law enforcement officials who have the training to use a gun and gun them down. This, he said, is evidence that a law should be made for ordinary citizens to act on a perpetrator without hesitation due to contemplation of liability.

Hohenwarter said the bill "has nothing to do with gun violence" instead it addresses closing loopholes in self-defense laws.

Edward Marsico, President of the Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association, reported the association stands in opposition to House Bill 40 "because Pennsylvania's current law has demonstrably protected residents in their use of force in self-defense and because House Bill 40 provides an overbroad, vague and dangerous expansion for the use of deadly force on the streets of our state." He called the bill's principle purpose of eliminating the duty to retreat from Pennsylvania's statutory provisions "a solution without a problem," and said the bill does nothing to strengthen the rights of an individual to defend his home. Marsico added that, "In fact, the proposed amendments eliminate any special importance in the law of the right to protect one's home or 'castle,'" and contended the new subsections "open the door for increased violence" by providing for an ambiguous shoot-first defense. He warned of the implications the bill would have for the proliferation of open gang warfare.

Rep. Stevenson asked Marsico if he intended to address the civil immunity aspect of HB 40 in which Marsico said he has not addressed that issue but does feel that it is an important issue.

The committee's chief counsel William Andring asked Marsico if he could confirm how many states have "Stand Your Ground" laws, which is a law that does not require a person the duty to retreat. Marsico confirmed that this is true based on research the PDAA conducted.

Frank Shaffer, a resident of Red Lion, testified in support of the legislation. He related an encounter with a truck driver on a highway in which his unholstering of a firearm defused a potentially violent situation. Shaffer characterized House Bill 40 as a "must pass bill," that upholds "the God given rights of the people" and "supports and clarifies the rights given to the people by the Founding Fathers of our Country and this Commonwealth."

Michael Charles, representing the Philadelphia Democratic Executive Committee's 54th Ward, 16th Division, remarked, "I want to see this piece of legislation passed and signed into law, as it would benefit all law abiding Pennsylvanians." He identified several problems he believes exist with the Castle Doctrine as it stands, and offered a series of recommendations regarding House Bill 40. He emphasized he does not want to see the bill "watered down" with amendments.

Dr. Mary Wade, Associate Minister of the Wayland Temple Baptist Church, said that in light of the holiday season it is "incredible" that HB 40, which she referred to as "Shoot First," is being considered. She said "one thing that weakens, that diminishes the good in us is fear," and contended that fear is driving the push for House Bill 40. "Shoot first is not humane, not decent, not orderly, and not godly. Shoot first is just not right," she remarked.

Rev. Jim Brown testifying on behalf of Heeding Gods Call, said that HB 40 "does not meet the standard of lessening gun violence in our nation." He said Presbyterians believe in the right of self-defense but also believe in a common sense philosophy to life. "Citizens are not equipped in training or temper to make life or death decisions in the fashion outlined in HB 40," said Rev. Brown.

Rabbi Carl Choper, Chair of the Interfaith Alliance of Pennsylvania, said the right of self-defense "is a very strong one" and "the laws of our commonwealth allow us that right." He said that laws direct people to self-defense and that human life is of paramount value. "Any problems that exist in the laws as they are now can be remedied by wise application of current laws," said Reverend Choper. He noted that society is violent and does not need any more justification to be more violent. "This is a serious readdressing of the balance between the right to self-defense and the sanctity of human life," he said.

Captain Marshall Martin, Director of the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) Risk Management Office, stated PSP feels that existing laws are sufficient and the provisions of House Bill 40 are "problematic." He said the legislation "seemingly eliminates the duty to retreat in public places, thereby encouraging the use of deadly force when it could otherwise be avoided." Marshall added that House Bill 40's "broad, vague and confusing language" could pose dangers for law enforcement, and could interpreted to mean a person is justified in using deadly force against a police officer unless the officer has identified himself or is clearly identifiable as a police officer.

Rep. Stevenson asked Captain Marshall to comment on the incident related by Frank Shaffer in his testimony. Captain Martin responded it is unfair for him to comment on the situation without knowing all of the facts.

Carl Stevenson, Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Self-Defense Rights League, testified in support of House Bill 40. He explained self-defense is an inalienable right "necessary to maintain our civilization." It being impractical and undesirable to expand police forces to the extent that there would be enough coverage to protect everyone, Stevenson opined "it is clear that the individual free Citizen of the United States must be responsible for his/her own safety and well-being," and called House Bill 40 a step in the right direction. He disputed the testimony of the Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association and the Pennsylvania State Police. Regarding Captain Martin's statement that "police officers must make split-second decisions in situations that are often dynamic and dangerous", Stevenson said citizens also must make those same types of decisions in those situations.

Daniel Pehrson, founder and current president of the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association, recounted his personal experience in what he termed as "a self-defense scenario." He told committee members he was followed by three individuals who surrounded him and threatened him with a stun gun. Pehrson said, "At this point in time I quickly drew the firearm that I am licensed to carry, pointing it at the ground. I am thankful every day that the assailants' reaction to this turn of events was to run faster than I had ever seen people run in my life." He added, "No one was hurt, most importantly, me." Pehrson expressed concern that "under current law a prosecutor who was not in that situation has the ability to subjectively Monday-morning quarterback me and proclaim I should have retreated." He also noted that if the attackers had continued their assault and he was forced to use justifiable defensive force, there was nothing to prevent the attackers or their families from suing him in civil court. Pehrson said, "I find it objectionable that a violent criminal can continue to ruin one's life in the months and even years after an assault." He urged the committee to support the legislation.

Noting that some of the law enforcement representatives had shaken their heads during Pehrson's testimony, Minority Chairman Marsico asked them if any wanted to respond to Pehrson's comments. When no one offered to respond, Andring explained that the concern with the legislation is the broad and vague parameters outlined in the legislation. He described some of the drafted language as "abysmal." Michael Charles responded that he doesn't dispute that some of the wording needs to be corrected. He added it seems to him that Andring is advocating the bill should not go forward because of the wording. Chairman Caltagirone disputed Charles' comment by remarking that Andring "did not say that." He went on to say that legally words have meaning and the committee needs to be careful about unintended consequences. Chairman Caltagirone added that there are a lot of concerns with some of the language, which need to be cleaned up. Charles commented that gun owners are statistically more law abiding than their fellow citizens.

The following organizations submitted written legislation to the committee:

· Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police Association

· Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence

· Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    The law, said Mayor Gray, would allow people who knowingly have the ability to retreat with complete safety to elect to use deadly force.

So??? Most of the gun owners that I know would already remove themselves from any drama, especially if they have a firearm them. There should be no duty to retreat. Let's say a punk tries to mug you on your porch with a knife, he leaves to get his gun. At least you can make certain that he's not on his way back. I would call that grounds for detaining under a citizen's arrest.

Dumb laws like this make it so the criminal can return another day, better prepared.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    So??? Most of the gun owners that I know would already remove themselves from any drama, especially if they have a firearm them. There should be no duty to retreat. Let's say a punk tries to mug you on your porch with a knife, he leaves to get his gun. At least you can make certain that he's not on his way back. I would call that grounds for detaining under a citizen's arrest.

Dumb laws like this make it so the criminal can return another day, better prepared.

S.S.S. :innocent0

GHF

Dec 11, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    Rule in Florida

The bill also eliminates the duty to retreat on the streets provided one is in fear of grave bodily injury or harm, and provided they are not engaged in criminal activity.
    The law that Marion Hammer got passed in Florida is worded a little differently.

Down here, the determination to based on 3 objective conditions:
    1. You are in a place where you have a legal right to be
    2. You are using force against equal force - in this case deadly force
    3. To stop an immediate forceable felony (treason, murder, manslaughter, sexual battery, carjacking, home-invasion robbery, robbery, burglary, arson, kidnapping, aggravated assault, aggravated battery, aggravated stalking, aircraft piracy, and unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb or any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual)
    Standard is objective, not some sort of subjective idea, which the DA can try to prove is not true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom