• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I'm not a fan of underfolders, but some are. Just can't get a good cheekweld. Hungarians are known for good fit and finish.

The Norinco is a decent deal if it doesn't go much higher. The Chinese produced the closest to an original Russian milled copy we've ever seen in the US (Polytech Legend) and the MAK is a nice blend of AKM and traditional AK-47 components on a thicker receiver.

Pre-ban is a term that comes with a premium, as is NIB. If you want a shooter, don't pay for either. The "sporter" MAKs shoot just as well and can be converted pretty easily.

Both are very nice guns. Any foreign arsenal-built gun is a good choice... but if you *really* want history go with parts and have a gun built. Lots of interesting stuff out there like Russian PLO kits and East Germans from before the wall fell.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    But with any pre-ban, be sure to inspect it in person first if possible. These have been around now for almost 30 years. You have no idea how abused they have been, how many owners have shot them, or if they were maintained properly. I had to replace a bunch of parts on mine and still doing so because I do not want to give up on it since it is so valuable.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    i agree with what a few of the others have said...getting an "AK" with history behind it will be a tall order, considering that ALL AK-47 and AKM rifles are fully automatic rifles. that being said...you could get your hands on something like an arsenal. their the best and purist option in my book, considering they are produced in russia, in the same factory that has been pumping out the AKs for decades.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Nemesis has a good idea. You get a genuine (mostly) Russian manufactured AK that you can modify to resemble almost any era/style. You might also consider an AK with a milled receiver. These are more unique, and supposedly function smoother than a stamped receiver model. Several companies make milled AKs. Though I'd stay away from Century unless its a gun they simply import.

Personally, I'd get a Nodak Spud receiver with Russian/Arabic markings, and have a gun assembled from an appropriate style parts kit. I think they still make those receivers.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Nemesis has a good idea. You get a genuine (mostly) Russian manufactured AK that you can modify to resemble almost any era/style. You might also consider an AK with a milled receiver. These are more unique, and supposedly function smoother than a stamped receiver model. Several companies make milled AKs. Though I'd stay away from Century unless its a gun they simply import.

Personally, I'd get a Nodak Spud receiver with Russian/Arabic markings, and have a gun assembled from an appropriate style parts kit. I think they still make those receivers.

i do love the look of a good milled receiver. that being said, i feel like the stamped receiver is how the AK should be...after all, the only reason the original AK 47 rifles had milled receivers is because they did not have the capabilities to mass produce properly tempered and folded stamped receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom