• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I just recieved my birthday present to myself today (hoped to have had it by my birthday onAug 22nd at least), an East German Makarov pistol. When I ordered it, and faxed in my C&R, Cole distributing called me back a couple days later, and told me they needed a snail mailed copy of all C&Rs, only 01 FFLs could be faxed in, so I sent it, and when they got it, they were out of the "excellent 90%" grade pistols, but offered to split the difference on an unissued 100% mint upgrade, so I accepted, and could not be happier with the extra $10 expense. This thing is absolutely goregous, sharp lines, deep old world bluing, perfect case hardening, and a silky smooth slide and trigger, there is 0 wear or defects of any kind including the mint holster, extra mag and cleaning kit that came with it.

The Makarov pistol replaced the TT-33 soon after WWII and to me is as much of an example of cold war era eastern block weaponery as the AK, M16, F4 phantom II, and mig 15, and in particular the east german model, supposedly the best Makarov, made in a country since re-united. It is a simple blow back DA/SA design with a safety that acts as a decocker when pushed UP into safe. It has a chrome lined 4 groove fixed barrel with a reputation for accuracy, a slide release that holds the slide back after the last shot, and a heel mag release along with a firing pin and hammer block that is diengaged when the trigger is pulled. The firing pin is a free floating design, and the breech face is recesed, and as a result is a reliable design, but can go full auto if the ever present cosmo is competely leaned out of the firing pin channel. The pistol can be field stripped in a matter of seconds, the trigger guard is pulled down, and the slide is pulled to the rear, and up, then allowed to slide off the front of the barrel, a single screw holds the one peice grip that covers two leafsprings (main and trigger bar). It fires the 9x18mm Makarov, a cartridge with ballistics between 380acp and low end 9mm luger, but slightly larger in diameter than either(.365 vs .355). It is also a perfect size for concealed carry, and having a steel slide and frame cuts down on the snappy recoil from the relatively powerful chambering for it's blow back design.

For those interested, cole distributing was an absolute pleasure to deal with, and I would not hesitate to buy from them again, and they have a small, but dwindling supply of these pistols. http://www.coledistributing.com/

size comparison between a bersa thunder in 380, and a 5" 1911, the makarov is similar in size to the bersa, but has a slightly longer barrel, and wider slide that is not quite as tall, allowing an extra round in the mag, and full grip on the almost 90 degree grip angle.
    IMAGE_118.jpg

left side with all the controls
    IMAGE_119.jpg

right side, slide locked
    IMAGE_120.jpg

now I'm off to laymans for some ammo, and a quick trip to the range to see how she does

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Range report

Just got back from the range, and the pistol has exceeded my expectations. Recoil is fairly light and manageable, although snappy. The Mak digested 150 rounds of Fiocci 95gr FMJ without a hiccup, and is quite accurate with it. the target with the smaller group on the right was 10 rounds slow fire shot from a rest at 25 yards. The larger group on the left was 2 full mags and +1 fired in DA to start, total of 17 rounds rapid fired from 20 feet in about 20 seconds including the reload. The nearly straight grip angle took a little getting used to, but makes it a fast pistol to draw, and helps achieve a high hold that keeps the muzzle down. At this point I am not sure if the groups going to the left is from Me or the sights, as all the groups seemed to end up at about the same spot reguardless of hold, and weither rested or not. All in all this is a fun little pistol and seems like it would make a formidable CCW peice for the cost.

I also have pictured the brand new holster that came with it, and some of my other "9mm" pistols and their respective loads for comparison.
    S7300181.jpg

S7300184.jpg

RIA 1911 super 38 automatic, S&W M&P 9c, Ruger LCP 380, E.German Makarov PM 9X18

S7300180.jpg

S7300185.jpg

from the left, 380acp (9X17) 9mm Makarov (9X18) 9mm luger (9X19) super 38 automatic (9X23)

Diehart

Trouble Making Gun Geek
    Oct 6, 2007
    Lusby, Maryland
    Very very nice!!! I just sent my 7CR in this past weekend. I have now added the Makarov to my wish list. Thank you for sharing the great pictures and information.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Fine looking guns Sir, and a nice grouping too. Happy Birthday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom