• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I have been kicking around the idea of making a website to try and help Type 53 owners with mismatched parts locate their correctly numbered part. There's a lot of rifles out there with mis-matched bolts in particular, it might be fun to try and re-unite of some them.

I was thinking it could be a website where you enter in your original Chinese receiver number and whatever mismatched parts you have along with your email address, and you would get an alert if someone else posts a part that has your receiver number. Maybe you could even upload pics of the mismatched parts. The idea would be that you would agree to swap any parts you have that matches someone else's rifle, perhaps with the person acquiring a matching part paying for shipping in both directions.

Also, I know almost nothing about building websites so this would partly be a learning experience for me.

Would there be any intertest in this, or would it end up being a waste of time and/or have little chance of matching up any parts?

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I think if it was done right, with a modern and well thought out website it would be very popular. What I’d ideally love to see a site that was able to incorporate parts / magazine matching for a wide variety of C&R firearms. I know the concept has been tried on other forums, but usually involves one person constantly updating a single thread. Over time they just seem to fizzle out. There is a Japanese parts matching website out there somewhere, but it looked like it hadn’t been touched since the late ‘90s and was likely horribly outdated.

I think some of the issue is that many C&R collectors tend to be a little higher on the age spectrum and aren’t as tech savvy as the younger generation. It would be great if a dedicated C&R collector exists out there with some real website design skill that could create a universal parts/mag matching site where like you said, users could potentially add to it without one person having to manage and constantly update the whole thing.

If someone could create a modern, easy to use, and easy to update website AND get the word out across the many collecting forums as to it’s existence, I think it could do well. Someone who knows what they’re doing could probably even make some money off the venture with advertising and such if they can get the word out and draw enough activity to the site.

Jul 1, 2012
    Being the cynical SOB that I am I could see it being abused especially if expanded to trading for numbered mags etc. which can be quite valuable.
    Just make sure it's explicitly stated that the website owner isn't liable for any losses or malfeasance and CYA.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The Japanese collector's forum on Gunboards had a sticky with the goal of matching sniper rifles and scopes. It was moderately successful but very limited in scope (no pun intended!) compared to this.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I started working on this yesterday, and decided to expand it beyond T53 parts. I can host it locally on my computer, but it's not out there on the internet yet. I have it to a point where you can log your mismatched parts one one screen and view a list of all your mismatched parts on another. Still a ton to do, not the least of which is user authentication (being able to log in). I have never made anything like this before so I am just sort of internet searching my way though it.

Below is some screen shots, all the data is fake (if you couldn't tell from the serialized M44 bayonet). As you can see, it looks plain with no pics. If anyone wants to allow me use of some good pics of their C&R collection, that would be amazing. Just post them in this thread.

Also, I'm open to suggestions on the types of parts to include and all the different types of C&R firearms to include.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-20 062407.jpg
      Screenshot 2020-12-20 062407.jpg
      23.6 KB · Views: 213
    • Screenshot 2020-12-20 063342.jpg
      Screenshot 2020-12-20 063342.jpg
      24.7 KB · Views: 215
    • Screenshot 2020-12-20 063413.jpg
      Screenshot 2020-12-20 063413.jpg
      28.9 KB · Views: 221
    Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Theirs a guy in Nevada that uses a web based parts match for m17's. It's for matching manufacturers marks between the three makers.
    I never used it but primarily I think he's sitting on a ton pf parts himself, so you contact him directly and its probably more of an avenue to find/buy or trade obsolete and antique firearms.
    It's been going on for some time.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Theirs a guy in Nevada that uses a web based parts match for m17's. It's for matching manufacturers marks between the three makers.
    I never used it but primarily I think he's sitting on a ton pf parts himself, so you contact him directly and its probably more of an avenue to find/buy or trade obsolete and antique firearms.
    It's been going on for some time.

The goal with my site is different. Here's how I see it working: you have 91/30 but the bayonet doesn't match. You log your receiver number and mismatched bayonet on the site. If someone else logs the bayonet that matches your receiver, or they log a receiver that matches the bayonet you have, you will be notified and can maybe work out a trade. I'm not selling anything, just connecting collectors with other collectors who may want to swap parts.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm sure someone would be cynical about this being a gun registry but I'll bite. I'm in

My very first C&R was a Type 53

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    The demo site is ready. There is no login yet, so pretend that you're already logged in. Also, for some reason the pics aren't showing up. Still a lot of work to do, but the core functionality is there. Feel free to add stuff, delete stuff and play around. I'm using the poverty level hosting service, so it may be slow to load.

https://rocky-woodland-11115.herokuapp.com/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom