• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirk911

May 10, 2011
    Church Hill
    Never thought I would say this but I’m looking for a cheap and reliable .40 S&W. One of my first glocks was a G23 and I sold it years ago because I didn’t enjoy shooting it like I did my 9mm’s and 45’s. Anywho, a good friend just gave me a ton of .40 S&W hollow points. Enough that I’m considering picking up a cheaper used .40 just to have because I now have so many rounds to feed it. I don’t want to spend much because I don’t really want to shoot it much.

Other than used police trade in’s, does anyone have any recommendations on brand/model that would be obtainable for $350 or under?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Never thought I would say this but I’m looking for a cheap and reliable .40 S&W. One of my first glocks was a G23 and I sold it years ago because I didn’t enjoy shooting it like I did my 9mm’s and 45’s. Anywho, a good friend just gave me a ton of .40 S&W hollow points. Enough that I’m considering picking up a cheaper used .40 just to have because I now have so many rounds to feed it. I don’t want to spend much because I don’t really want to shoot it much.

Other than used police trade in’s, does anyone have any recommendations on brand/model that would be obtainable for $350 or under?

Honestly, pre-2020 $350 would have bought you exactly what you exempted, a nice police trade Glock 22 or 23. Now, I doubt it.

I did see this though...

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...ruger-sr40-40-sw-414in-black-pistol/p/1302310

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Or you could sell the ammo, and split it with your buddy. Now's a great time to sell ammo.

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    Stoeger Cougar. I own one in 9mm and 40 S&W. Solid, reliable pistol with a very comfortable grip (at least for me). You should be able to find one at your price point, they are not expensive.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Personally, I would try to find a SIG P229 CPO. These are turn in guns that have been reconditioned by SIG.

With the P229, you could get a .357 SIG barrel, and a 9mm barrel (and some 9 mm mags) and have a 3 caliber gun. Four, if you could find a SIG .22 conversion kit.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Funny. I'm in the exact same boat. I have a $hit load of .40 to shoot, but I really want to concentrate on my 1911, so I'm considering getting a 1911 slide in .40 just so I can shoot it more.

So one thing to possibly consider is to see if the gun you *do* like shooting has a .40 conversion available. Not impossible, but maybe not the best idea either. YMMV.

If it's a Glock you want to shoot, maybe something like this will work (simple barrel/mag swap). I have no experience with it, so take it for the $.02 it's worth.

EDIT: And I just noticed the link I posted is to products "discontinued"...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What is that cheaper S&W glock look a like? Hell, they are cheap enough and work. They won't win any beauty contests.

Doesn't high point make a .40?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    What is that cheaper S&W glock look a like? Hell, they are cheap enough and work. They won't win any beauty contests.

I think the s&w has changed the name of that model a few times. Used to be called the sigma think its now the sd40. Didn't glock go after them when they first introduced it because it was such a close copy?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Hi point in “dolla dolla bill y’all” finish. Out the door of less than 2 fiddy.
    Close thread!

Attachments

• E07F9648-6AD3-40D8-A252-A4CBC70FA4FD.jpeg
      E07F9648-6AD3-40D8-A252-A4CBC70FA4FD.jpeg
      58 KB · Views: 158

dirk911

May 10, 2011
    Church Hill

Ironically I owned one of those SD9s from S&W. It was near identical to my G19 but I hated the trigger and didn’t enjoy shooting it so I sold it off rather quickly. Not sure about the .40 version but if the 9 sucked getting used to I will probably pass on the .40 version. It’s a shame the trigger sucks so bad in them or they would be a good option for the price.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ironically I owned one of those SD9s from S&W. It was near identical to my G19 but I hated the trigger and didn’t enjoy shooting it so I sold it off rather quickly. Not sure about the .40 version but if the 9 sucked getting used to I will probably pass on the .40 version. It’s a shame the trigger sucks so bad in them or they would be a good option for the price.

I just mentioned the POS because they are easily had for 200 bucks used. Didn't think you wanted a "serious" pistol :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Prior to the current panic , there were a plethora of options @ $399 and under .

The first S&W quasi imitation glock was the Sigma aka Smegma . The trigger sucks to the point of being essentially unusable . The later S&W offering was the SD series , intended to split the price points of the Smegma and the M&P .

The trigger of the SD is much improved over the Smegma , to be point of being middling , but usable . If you look on the internets, particularly fora dealing with S&W enthusiasts , you will find a plethora of approaches to improve the Smegma trigger somewhat , but they generally end up bringing the net investment up to at least the difference of just getting an SD to start with .

Yes , for a while there was a glut of used Smegmas and SD's on the market , the sametime S&W was offering very aggressive wholesale pricing on new ones . At which point owners of them looking to sell or trade them in were gripping about very low offers from FFL s . That would have been the perfect timing to buy one used .

And the above mentioned Stoger Cougar is a good pistol at a good price .

Added- My inexpensive .40S&W firearm was a used Hi Point carbine that the SOMD dealer that used to be adored and subsequently hated , had on the rack for a redicously low price .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom